FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FanFic Readers and Writers Thread

Author Topic: FanFic Readers and Writers Thread
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt see any threads similar to this, so here goes.

This thread is basically a thread to talk about any fanfics you've written or read, and from what series / books / movie are they based on.

for instance, there are always those characters who arent explained all that well or only play a minor part in a story, but the reader thinks they are so interesting that they could have their own story.

i was thinking the dai-li from avatar could have their own story. im glad they ended up being a bigger part of the show. i havent read any fafics for avatar, but here could be a good palce for ppl to discuss any or post links to some of their own or favorites.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's opinion, I've heard, is dim on fanfics for improving one's writing.
However, my two earliest pieces of writing were fanfic, I guess. GIJoe fan fiction. One was kinda generic, and the second, never finished (which is the subtitle of most of my stuff) was about Cobra Commander inventing time travel.
Well, forgive me, but I was only in high school at the time! [Razz]
They were both sort of rambling, just for fun stories that I only showed one friend and my Dad.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I read fanfic based on a number of shows/books.

I don't usually talk about it on Hatrack for a few reasons.

• OSC's opinion, mentioned above, is against them in general (and especially against those based on his writing -- although I have little interest in those anyway).
  • Most Hatrackers have a fairly negative view of fanfic, with the few who actually like it often embarrassed about that. (I'm not.)
  • I have other fora to discuss fanfic, with other people who enjoy it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written fanfiction in the past just for fun.

Other than some joke LOTR stuff, I've written several episodes of NCIS.

I rarely ever read any.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly fanfic writer, and I would not be in the "embarrassed" category [Smile]
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

icic. yeah i a bit hesitant to make the thread here, but i figured there is such a diverse group of ppl on hatrack that it would be a good place to start.

i looked around first and saw that a lot of ppl that do fanfics, do RP. i cant see myself ever getting into RPing.

i guess i was looking for a more... umm.. conservative group of ppl that liked fanfics, and thought of hatrack.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy fanfiction, and I'm not embarrassed by it. However, I rarely mention it here because of OSC's dim view of it.

Mostly, I just read Harry Potter fanfic. I have trouble reading fanfic for any fandom where the original writer is better than the fanfic writers.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the "embarrassed" category.

*goes back under rock*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have trouble reading fanfic for any fandom where the original writer is better than the fanfic writers.
Ideally, that would eliminate any fanfic based on books, I guess.
quote:
i looked around first and saw that a lot of ppl that do fanfics, do RP. i cant see myself ever getting into RPing.
I would probably be into table top RPGing if I had more friends in the area. For people who dabble in writting or acting, I don't see any reason to disdain it a priori (other than perhaps the high level of wierdos it attracts.)
But there are games in every genre ranging from heavy rules to few or none.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Nikisknight:
quote:
I have trouble reading fanfic for any fandom where the original writer is better than the fanfic writers.
Ideally, that would eliminate any fanfic based on books, I guess.

In a perfect world.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read some fanfic, usually not in fandoms that are based on books, though. Just feels redundant, though I have read some interesting Harry Potter fanfics that people rec'd to me, and found them fun.

I love Lord of the Rings, but don't read LOTR fanfic. Well, okay, once. A mother sent me this really rather lovely, nuanced Gimli pov short her daughter had written (I think it won some kind of fandom award) that was beautiful (it wasn't sexual, which a lot of fanfic is). But I don't seek it out-- too many teens trying to get jiggy with Legolas.

I started writing a Star Wars fanfic as a joke with a friend of mine, as kind of a warm-up exercise. We made a list of fanfiction tropes and set out to skewer them. I have almost 400 pages of that monster. It's been fun.

I think it DID help my writing in one major way. Since I do copyediting for pay, it's always been hard to just write without nit-picking as I go and getting discouraged. Having an idea to play with that I didn't really care about (and was not emotionally attached to) really helped me shut that critical voice up, you know?

This year I managed to finish over 50,000 words of a novel for NaNo without that inner voice that says "Crap! You write crap, this is crap..." getting in my way.

Now I'm bring out the inner editor, removing the shackles and duct tape, to let her go over it. Astonishingly enough, it seems bette rthan I expected on the read-through.

So, in summary:

~I have written fanfic for fun (though not in book fandoms)
~I am not as ashamed as I used to be
~It does seem to have helped me quite a bit. Maybe a big part of that is that I wrote in a fandom where I had not read any books. Not being a bookish fandom, I wasn't imitating any other writers.
~I have read some fanfic, but generally don't have the time anymore. I don't miss it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't enjoy reading it, and I never write it.

I do write stories that I post on another forum, and have had requests for fanfic, but so far, I am not interested.

Only if I wanted to emulate a writer's style, as an exercise, would I consider it. I have been considering doing a Holmes/Watson story, but I probably won't do it.

What can I say? I'm an original.

[ December 10, 2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Tante Shvester ]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

tbh, im thinking of writing my first fanfic. which is what kinda sparked this thread. i thought it would be good practice, since i really havent written much now that i dont need any more literature classes for my major.

and i fall in the would be emarassed category. i would prolly classify myself as a "closet dork." i like reading and computer and video game stuff, but not many of my friends do. so i dont really have too many ppl to relate with when it comes to books ive read, games ive played, or technical computer stuff.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::shrug::

I used to read a lot of Farscape fanfic, and dabbled a little in Firefly, but I don't have the time online anymore.

I wrote one Firefly fanfic based on a dream I had, and it turned out ok.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Slightly off topic, but I thought I would say that Avatar is a cool show. We make sure to watch it with our kids, and we all like it.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

wtf? olivet... i think im confusing u with someone else. who is the woman that is with ben.. over in mistead? for the longest time i thought that was u...

is there an olivia on here as well?

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you ever read Chris Bridges' Firefly fanfic? If not, it might change your mind.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slightly off topic, but I thought I would say that Avatar is a cool show. We make sure to watch it with our kids, and we all like it.
That is what I have been saying all along! I just bought the complete Season One package. It is getting darker but still kid appropriate. That gives Avatar room to really explore the characters and morality.

Off topic: One of the things that always bothered me about kid cartoons as a child was how...patronizing?...stupid?...how they underestimate how much kids "get."

With Avatar, no matter how silly and fun it is, you really care about the characters, even the bad guys. It has had really good plot development.

Plus the fighting scenes are super cool.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
Did you ever read Chris Bridges' Firefly fanfic? If not, it might change your mind.
Never seen Firefly (although I've heard good things), so why would I be interested in its fanfic?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

krynn-- I am the Olivia. The one with two boys (ages nine and seven, now). Ophelia is the screen name for Ben's wife, that you also met. [Wink]

I think most writer-types probably either had ideas or actually wrote fanfic when they were kids. Based on TV shows, or whatever. My sister once wrote a script for an episode of one of her favorite shows (it was either Starsky and Hutch or the Hardy Boys), or sort of re-visiting storylines from stories they enjoyed. I think it's pretty natural.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great opening line. "I am the Olivia!" I can just see you on a mountain, holding your staff forward as you declare it to the skies and oncoming armies...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a Hiatus fanfic once... [Wink]

I can't find the link to it though [Frown] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I mention this everytime this subject comes up. I have a list of what I consider to be the best novel length Harry Potter fanfics out there (that I've read) if anyone is interested in it.

I'm also always on the lookout for more good novel length Harry Potter fanfic, if anyone has any recs. I prefer gen or het, but if the writing is good enough I'll read slash. I just don't generally feel like investing time into a romance novel (which most fanfics are) without at least identifying with one of the characters.

krynn
Member # 524

gen or het, what are those? the authors of fanfics you've liked?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Gen means that the story doesn't focus on a relationship. Het stands for heterosexual and means the story focuses on a heterosexual relationship.

By far most fanfiction is slash, which means the story focuses on a homosexual relationship between two men.

Homosexual relationships between two women can either be called slash or femmeslash.

In my experience (in the Harry Potter fandom) the popularity of these types of stories are as follows, from most popular to least:

Slash
Het
Femmeslash
Gen

With a massive gap between slash and het.

krynn
Member # 524

ic. i never knew that. i guess the type i was talking about was gen. im suprised that u would place it so far down on the list. sigh, if thats true its yet another deterrent from the world of fanfic.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, do you have any links to your firefly fanfic (FlanFlic?). I've looked but I didn't see it...of course I was incredibly lazy about looking too so that could be part of it...
I did read your first one about Nathan suddenly being the Verse, have you done more?

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Krynn, a lot of fanfic is written by horny tweeners (of all ages [Wink] ) and thus romantic or sexual storylines abound.

This is also why most people assume fanfiction is universally terrible, though it isn't. The good stuff gets spread around by word of mouth (thanks blackwolve), but if you go hunting your chances of stumbling onto something great are slim.

There is goos fanfic out there, but it is buried under mounds of gay vampire elves. [Dont Know] That's just the way it seems to be. The good thing is that fanfic writers generally post the type of fanfic, characters involved and some idea about the nature of the story in headers. So the stuff you know you won't like is easy to avoid.

Oh, and I take back not reading LOTR fanfic-- I read and enjoyed the Very Secret Diaries (a parody, but still fan-written).

krynn
Member # 524

icic. ok well i think i might try to write one over the winter break, see if i like it or not. also olivet, im moving into my apartment this friday out in kennesaw and was wondering if any hatrack ppl from before would like to do lunch or anything. this is an open invitation to u or anyone u know from last time i came. posting it here cuz i dont feel like making a thread just for my arrival to kennesaw.

thx for all the info on fanfics ppl. i had no idear about all umm, stuff that goes along with it. i will be attempting a gen type.

Olivet
Member # 1104

I'm volunterring at my son's school Friday afternoon, but I'm sure we could work out a group lunch or something.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Blacwolve, have you read Cassandra Claire's fiction? She did the Very Secret Diaries for LOTR, and wrote some great Harry Potter fanfiction.

I enjoy a good story, regardless of whether it's a standalone novel, short story, or fanfiction. Unfortunately, a lot of fan-fiction out there is horribly written. I've actually found that the collections of Star Trek fanfiction sold as the Strange New Worlds books have quite a few gems. Other than that, it seems that the best way to find good stuff is on the recommendations of other people.

On another note, I recently read something in Wired that definitely weirded me out. Apparently people are writing Mythbusters fanfiction. About the real people on the show. Right.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
That is what I have been saying all along! I just bought the complete Season One package. It is getting darker but still kid appropriate. That gives Avatar room to really explore the characters and morality.

Off topic: One of the things that always bothered me about kid cartoons as a child was how...patronizing?...stupid?...how they underestimate how much kids "get."

With Avatar, no matter how silly and fun it is, you really care about the characters, even the bad guys. It has had really good plot development.

Plus the fighting scenes are super cool.

Avatar is the best show on Nick since Hey Arnold! Seriously.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just to tell Olivet and Chris that I am reading the thread, but I'll play nice. [Big Grin] . Pretty nice...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, a lot of fan-fiction out there is horribly written.
Too true.
quote:
Other than that, it seems that the best way to find good stuff is on the recommendations of other people.
Very true. Fan awards (which are a form of recommendations, but not from people you actually know, necessarily) can also help.

quote:
Apparently people are writing Mythbusters fanfiction. About the real people on the show. Right.
>_<

*shudder*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I still like Cassandra Claire's HP stories, although not as much as before I read how much of it, lines and scenes, were taken directly from other sources. Love the Diaries, and I can't wait to see what her upcoming original fiction will be like.

I've only completed the one Firefly story; started writing the second and got sucked into Secon Life instead. It's still there, hovering in my brain, and it'll be out eventually.

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the first Firefly story you wrote Chris, I hope your second one settles in your brain soon so we can all enjoy it [Smile]
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Apparently people are writing Mythbusters fanfiction. About the real people on the show. Right.

You know 99% of it is just Kari and Scottie porn. [Wink]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

krynn, I thought I should mention that Ben and Ophelia (her screen name here) are leaving town today, so lunch is out as far as they are concerned. Most of us are slammed until after the holidays, but keep in touch and we'll have some fun.

Also, a quick google search revealed what appear to be some Avatar fanfiction communities. They usually give descriptors of the content they cater to, so it should be easy to cull out the dross. (Those with the headings ZukoxKatara probably cater to romantic stories about Zuko and Katara, for example, but there would be separate warnings, like PG or R for content.) I cannot personally vouch for any of it, mind you.

krynn
Member # 524

good find. while those fanfictions are prolly all written by ppl younger than me... it would be nice to see a Tom Clancy-ish fanfic of the Dai Li and what all goes on at Lake Laogai.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah. I figured the lists might help you locate an audience, but prolly wouldn't be much inspiration.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm liking the Avatar-love. I'd seen a few episodes and found it interesting so I got Season 1 and decided to watch it in order while I take paper-writing breaks.

I love it! It makes my inner-child and adult sides both very happy.

As for fanfic, I'm your typical Harry Potter slasher. If you want a real laugh, I'll kindly reveal that I got started by N Sync fanfiction (ah, to be young again.)

I've only written shorts for some friends and I don't get as much time to read as I used to. Either that or I've read all the classics and its hard to find good new stuff. Usually I'll just watch the LJs/blogs of authors I like and try out anything they recommend.

EDIT: I want to recommend Dr. Henry Jenkins. I listened to an interview with him on HP Slashcast (podcast) and he had some great things to say aboutthe value of fandom and fanfic writiers. He's got a book out, forgetting the title, but I've read some excerpts and will be picking it up for myself soon.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mistful's HP fanfiction. It's clever and funny, and usually good story work as well.

Mistful.livejournal.com, that is.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Shanna- Would you mind sharing some of those classics with me? I'm afraid that despite the several years I've participated in the fandom, I've never really been part of the community or known things like what the classic stories were.

My email is blacwolve@gmail.com

Edit: Joldo- I know Mistful as Maya, and you're right, she is really good. She's one of the authors I meant when I said I'd read slash if it were well enough written.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Maya who wrote Underwater Light?? That's one of my favorites.

Blacwolve, got an email coming your way.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Thanks, got it. Working on a reply.

Has anyone else read Sam_Storyteller? I think he's the best fanfic writer I've ever read.

krynn
Member # 524

wow, when i first made this thread it seemed like so many ppl were anti-fanfic and said even OSC was against it. i think its kinda cool that more and more ppl are bringing this thread back up and talking about different fanfics.

and yes... avatar is a kids show, but i cant stop watching it. =)

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oop, I found my two fanfics:

Harry Potter

"Hiatus" Fanfic

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

i think HP would be a very easy storyline for fanfics. u want a certain something to happen, and poof, u can make a spell for that. i dont think ill dabble with any HP tho. im just reading my first HP book. starting with thte 5th book, since the first 4 are movies already.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.