FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finished

Author Topic: Finished
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to know whether KarlEd or I should make this post. Okay, I'll do it.

http://pilgrim-eye.livejournal.com/29099.html

Working with and for Karl and Chris has been a truly elevating experience. And that's not a ceiling joke.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
That, sir, is amazing.

What are your rates? Do you accept flight accommodation and room 'n board? [Big Grin]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning, just stunning!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
W-w-w-wah-wah-wwwooow.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
wow. like wonder dog said, what are your rates? do u have a deviantart profile or some other online portfolio where we can see more of your work?

EDIT: just found your homepage...

[ December 10, 2006, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: krynn ]

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
hot damn.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's incredibly cool.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is absolutely amazing. You are incredible. Congrats on being done, sir.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That is totally awesome!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely astounding. Congratulations on completing it. It takes great motivation to finish something over the course of two years.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that is really impressive.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]

Wow.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say anything. I'm stunned by the awesomeness.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
At first I was thinking, "Those are very nice photos, but I don't understand why anyone would hire someone to take them."

Then I realized that you made the mural.

Now I have a big bruise on the bottom of my jaw from when it dropped and hit the desk. I hope you're happy. [Razz]

Seriously, those are AMAAAAZZZZZZINNNNNNNNG!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when a thread was started that you were doing this, and went to his house. This is just awesome!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Now I want to see it in person. Are Karl and Chris giving tours?

I remember when you started this as well. Did it really take 2 years? Man, you and DaVinci have something to talk about now.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
That is amazing.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
''
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
"
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* *blink*

*jaw drops*

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Could somebody post the link to the flickr photostream? I want to show the ceiling to a coworker, and livejournal is apparently blocked from here now.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Now I have a big bruise on the bottom of my jaw from when it dropped and hit the desk. I hope you're happy. [Razz]

Do you know a good lawyer? If so you should talk to them about this-- John might be liable for the pain and suffering from your jaw injury.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

Just awesome.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this thread!

John's Flickr photos

John's Mural Website

I have to say I am thrilled with the mural. John, Chris, and I have had a wonderful two years with this project. The mural so far exceeds the original concept I pitched to John that I can hardly believe it. I'm almost sad that it's completed (not to mention the fact that now I have no excuse anymore for not getting the rest of the house in shape).

I really love the mural. It is filled with personal meaning for both myself and Chris, and there's so much of John's personality in it, too, that it's like he's left a piece of his spirit here. And that's the best bonus of this whole project. John is one of the most amazing, talented, kind, and vibrant people I know, and I feel very fortunate to be able to know him. And also, through this project, I've gotten to know Sharpie, who came up on some weekends too. So I've gotten two great friends from this project who almost make the actual mural feel like a fringe benefit.

I will be having an open house to show off the mural, probably in the spring. I'm thinking late May at this point. Everyone is invited.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, everyone for the compliments and kind remarks. I can't speak for tours and whatnot -- I'm just glad that I'll be able to go back and visit myself from time to time.
quote:
Wonder Dog: What are your rates? Do you accept flight accommodation and room 'n board?
Rates on request [Smile] Expenses and accommodation negotiable. But I don't think I'll be doing anything like this solely in exchange for room 'n board.
quote:
Krynn: do u have a deviantart profile or some other online portfolio where we can see more of your work? (EDIT: just found your
homepage...)

Next on my list is a revamped webpage focusing on this kind of work. Stay tuned.
quote:
Hamson: It takes great motivation to finish something over the course of two years.
Thanks. I also think it takes something more than motivation -- or maybe I don't know what motivation is. [Smile] I know there were days, far from home and uncertain of my abilities, when I had to 'just do it' -- get up on the ladder one more time.
quote:
Dagonee: Now I have a big bruise on the bottom of my jaw from when it dropped and hit the desk. I hope you're happy.
I HAD begun to think about getting 'bonded' or insured or something, if I do more of this work commercially. But I'm not sure it will cover jaw-drop syndrome (JDS) [Smile]
quote:
breyerchic04: I remember when a thread was started that you were doing this, and went to his house.

Homestarrunner: I remember when you started this as well. Did it really take 2 years? Man, you and DaVinci have something to talk about now.

That is a really cool aspect of this -- it is a Hatrack phenomenon. I love our far-flung community and the shared memories.

As for DaVinci: one of my heroes!

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

Thanks, Karl. The feelings are mutual!

Here is a slightly different flickr link -- kind of cool for a LONG reverse-chronology slide show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/verbalobe/tags/mural/

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, Mr. Pelt. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Beautiful.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible. Amazing. Stunning. And John, I just realized why your name sounds familiar--you're one of quid's FFF contributors--and as I recall your mastery of the pen (ok, keyboard) approaches that of your mastery of the brush!

Seriously, I had to stare for a very long time to make myself understand that what I was seeing was two-dimensional.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you know a good lawyer?
Hey, how about that! I'm married to one. [Big Grin]

But I think I'll just let Mr. Van Pelt off with a warning - warn people of your awesomeness!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
That is incredible [Eek!] Excellent work, sir!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
He is very talented in writing.

quote:
Seriously, I had to stare for a very long time to make myself understand that what I was seeing was two-dimensional.
There are elements that don't look like they could possibly be 2 dimensional no matter how long you stare at them. There's a "peeling" edge of one of the "wall-papered" panels that it takes all my willpower not to climb up and pick at. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I could have that in my home (not that I could afford to, LOL)--I'd sit and stare at it all day!

So instead, I keep popping back in to Hatrack all day . . .

Oh, and what does the writing say?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Oh, and what does the writing say?

It's an anagram.

"Whirl King's Jar Hard: Herald Astronomic Permanence"
=
"Karl Edward Jennings, Christopher Michael Marrano"

Although.... what I actually painted is "Astronomical"! I can't believe I just noticed this -- it's been checked and rechecked!

So unless Karl takes a new middle name of "Al," I guess I'm due back to Hanover with a bottle of white-out [Big Grin]

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Et. al.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

After going through the slideshow, I have to say that I really don't think one could pay for that. (Of course, you should try [Smile] , but it is priceless. Sublime.)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
Et. al.

The "al" can be that which represents that the relationship is more than the sum of its parts.

Karl Ed and Christopher, et al.

---

Edited to add: commonly, et al is translated as "and others" or "and the others," but I was taught "and the rest."

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks amazing! Congratulations to both John and Karl. And Chris. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed! Excellent work.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering yesterday how the mural was coming along! It's spectacular.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning, beautiful work John.

Is this your masterwork to date? If not, I must ask to see what is!

Also, is that New Yorker cover your work too?

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing artwork, John. I too remember when the project was started. I thought you were building an orrery, and you explained you were painting one.

The finished mural is far better than I imagined.
It's brilliant both in conception and execution.

Have you and Karl thought about getting it in a magazine or other press?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't add to what has been said. Beautiful work!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.