FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clementines, Satsumas, Citrusy Goodness! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Clementines, Satsumas, Citrusy Goodness!
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Pineapples are bellicose.

Discuss.

/geek
In early middle-school D&D experience my first level wizard was killed by a pineapple laden trap. QED

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to try a durian. I've heard that's quite an experience.

Has anyone ever had a fresh durian?

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

>_<

Actually, there are pictures from when a group of us tried one. None are of me, so I shall refrain from linking them.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you get past the smell, or was it too much? Did the taste make up for it?
Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The taste was worse than the smell. At least, the aftertaste.

Think spoiled custard. Rotten, spoiled custard.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

Hmmm.

I've actually done quite a bit of research on the durian, but I've never gotten to taste one. I've heard it described many ways, but your description fits with the general theme.

I guess it has to be an acquired taste. Many people in Southeast Asia actually like the smell of the durian and regard it as almost a spiritual experience to eat one.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Setsumas are teh awesome.

We get them in our Christmas stockings each year; they are arguably the best part.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
quid, I bet you had a clementine growing up in Canada. They were the little oranges in the box that were wrapped in green paper.

It's not the holidays to me without 'em!

Oh, really? I didn't know that! I mean, mandarins, yes, but I didn't know those were clementines. Cool.

My father in law likes durian, but my mother in law hates them and won't allow them in the house. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Clementines are actually a variety of tangerine (mandarin.) You probably did have Clementines if you had tangerines because they are, ime, the most readily available outside citrus-growing areas.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Personally, Satsumas are my favorite variety, and what we use in our stockings.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Clementines are a type of mandarins. So are tangerines (actually, several types).

*points up to the post with the linkies*

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I just got a bunch of clementines from Food 4 Less. I went grocery shopping for some stuff to keep me going during finals (I can't sleep or I'll fail; so I need stuff that gives me the energy that 2 hrs of sleep per day isn't providing me with, at least until Saturday).

*Fight V!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And are they good?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm halfway done with the sack of 30.
Does that answer your question?
My mouth is tingling already with all the citrusy flavor in it, but at least I don't feel sleepy anymore.

*clementine energy power-up!*
[Smile]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Satsuma shuld be the name of a country.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It's the name of a city in Alabama....maybe they should claim their independence?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I'm halfway done with the sack of 30.
Does that answer your question?

Wow!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm resurrecting an old but entertaining thread. [Smile] Was it really that long ago? Seriously? I thought maybe a half year, not a year and half. Holy moly time flies!

So we were brought three citrus fruities today. They're smaller than a key lime, and instead of turning green to yellow like a key lime does, this one turns green to orange. It has orange, soft juicy insides, and not sweet but not as sour as a key lime.

What is it?

Its local name is, apparently, narang, which translates, as far as I can tell, to tangerine, but I don't think I've seen any tangerines this small or sour before.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would say kumquat.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kumquat?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Apparently the ones we have around here are Meiwa kumquats. The pulp is very sour but the skin is thin and sweet and you eat them with the skin on, then spit out the tough center part of the pulp and seeds.

Yummy.

They often grow right next to loquat trees around here, which makes for an interesting contrast in taste and texture if they fruit at the same time. (Our loquats are yellowy-green instead of orange like the ones pictured when ripe, though.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, candied kumquat skin, same as candied orange peel but made with kumquat skin, is super super yummy.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Despite the names, kumquats and loquats are not related. They're both pretty tasty though.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Indeed. [Smile] (I hope I didn't imply they were. Just that because they have complimentary "looks," in my area they tend to have been planted as ornamentals in the same yards.)
rivka
Member # 4859

You didn't. But confusion is common, so I thought I'd point it out.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'm not sure, but I also realized that I didn't provide an adequate description.

The fruit we had yesterday was mostly green with a bit of orange near the stem area, and it was fully ripe. It's definitely the same shape as a key lime, but smaller. The soft insides turn to a pulp immediately with no resistance.

So I don't really know. [Smile] Does that help at all?

It's not like this is important other than for my own curiosity, so if this doesn't get resolved, it's not a big deal. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Limequat? Who knows...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It didn't look like one to me, but honestly, what the *heck* do I know about citrus fruits in general?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*giggles* I don't know why that strikes me as so funny...

Maybe you can find a list of all known citrus fruits, with pictures, somewhere?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I found one that listed the most common citrus fruits, but those were most common to Americans, given that it was an American site. Thing is, we have fruit here that isn't common to Americans, so what good does that do me? [Wink]

Yeah, I'll keep looking. And next time she brings those fruits with her, I'll take pictures, complete with a ruler and everything. [Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Calamondin? From wiki: "The fruit of the calamondin resembles a small, round lime, usually 25-35mm in diameter, but sometimes up to 45mm. It has the inviting odor of a tangerine with a very thin green or orange colored peel."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim says no, but thanks anyway, dkw. [Smile] He's pretty bent on it being a variety of tangerine, so I guess that's what I'll go with for now. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.