FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name a literary character you would enjoy spending a day with. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Name a literary character you would enjoy spending a day with.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to give you grief about him being an author and not a character, and then I remembered...he's both! [Big Grin]

And I agree with mph; that list (Zaphod Beeblebrox, Tyler Durden, Q, Tyrion Lannister, and Sherlock Holmes) consists of interesting characters, but none of them are the kind of folks I'd like to spend time with. I'm pretty sure I'd want to kill Zaphod within about five minutes.

Albus Dumbledore!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
The hobbits, some time when they weren't in distress.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ah, but that's when the hobbits truly show their mettle! Read the last chapter of Return of the King!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Elinor Dashwood and I would get along famously. I think that I am her real life incarnation. I'd also like to hang out with Ivan and Katharina Smetzski. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The hobbits, some time when they weren't in distress.
In the same vein, I'd love to visit Rivendell in its height as the "Last Homely House" and drink wine and tell stories and listen to poetry with the elves.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Narnia, that's interesting; I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with any of the Dashwoods (except for maybe Margaret)--too extreme one way or the other. I wouldn't mind hanging out with Col. Brandon, but only if it was the movie version. [Big Grin]

(Also, I owe you an email, which I promise you'll get once the stupid semester is over...)

orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Leto II, God Emperor of Dune.
If you can't have fun with an omniscient worm, who CAN you have fun with?

Larry Darrell may, or may not, be fictional (The Razor's Edge, Somerset Maugham) but he changed my life more than anyone else, real or imagined. I ache to show him what I have done with his insights the way a son might want to show his father what he has accomplished.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
In the same vein, I'd love to visit Rivendell in its height as the "Last Homely House" and drink wine and tell stories and listen to poetry with the elves.

Oh, yes, definitely. 'Cept maybe not the wine part. [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love really good wine, and I have a feeling the elves cultivated and pressed some good wine. Not to mention, they lived long enough and were patient enough to age it properly.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Jo March.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Kay Scarpetta, especially if she's cooking.

Lupin and Tonks
Snape (but really I just want a few minutes alone with a big stick)

Why can't I think of any more? Must be the allergy meds I'm taking.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, Zaphod is a great partier! I'd love to hang with him for a day, as long as he takes me to the Restaurant and I get one of those brain asploding drinks. Either Z.B. or Ford Prefect.

But even higher on my list of Kick-A people to hang out with would be the Big Friendly Giant. I love that guy.

At the very top of my list would be... no, nevermind, my entire list would be made up of Tom Robbins characters. To spend the day with the Chink, or Sissy, or the Magician, or any of all of his wonderful characters would be a bout the best day ever.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Bokonon [Big Grin]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily Cooper
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
C'mon, Zaphod is a great partier! I'd love to hang with him for a day
Remember the party that Arthur, Zaphod, and Trillian all attended before the book started? It wasn't much fun for Arthur.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
i would kinda like to try a gargleblaster as well... i am curious at just how getting your brains bashed out by a golden brick wraped around a lemon feels like.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that myself, Mrs_maven and the Toddling Tornado will opt for a ride behind Ivor the Engine, and then have a fish and chip supper on Tewyn beach listening to the Grumbly Town Choral Society (soprano lead, Idris the Dragon).
I love that book. I'm amazed someone else knows about it [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Remember the party that Arthur, Zaphod, and Trillian all attended before the book started? It wasn't much fun for Arthur.
Nothing really sounded like much fun for Arthur. If that were the ruler against which I measured what I would like to do, flying would be about all that was left.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to ask yourself when you're considering hanging out with Zaphod -- am I more like Arthur, Ford, or Trillian?

Personally, I'm more like Arthur.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
Bokonon [Big Grin]

Actually, I'm pretty boring. Ask mack, t_smith, Kwea, sarahdipity, synethesia, or Myr.

Kama thinks I'm the bee's knees though. I think she has a bug in her software [Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
You've got to ask yourself when you're considering hanging out with Zaphod -- am I more like Arthur, Ford, or Trillian?

Personally, I'm more like Arthur.

That not ... a horrible thing.

I'd go with either Ford or Trillian. probably closer to Tril. There should really be an internet quiz about this.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
probably closer to Tril.
In that case, Zaphod will find you pretty, he'll hit on you, and you should have a fabulous time.

Oh, and I really don't like those internet quizzes. Too many seem like 20 variations of the quesiton "Who are you more like? Napoleon, Pedro, Summer, or Uncle Rico?" and then when you answer that you're more like Napoleon, it turns around and tells you you're more like Napoleon.

[/crochety]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.