FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soy Milk is a Dangerous Devil Food (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Soy Milk is a Dangerous Devil Food
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

Personally, I like soy milk. Been drinking it for years. Zero Cholesteral. That's a good thing. Maybe I need to ask my wife to confirm this, but I think it hasn't "feminized" me on bit. Although I did enjoy that new Pride and Prejudice movie very much. I wonder... [Confused]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so very many things wrong with that article. >_<

I wonder what the rate of homosexuality is in Japan, where soy milk and tofu have been dietary staples for centuries?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee. I wonder when we established that excess estrogen leads to homosexuality?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
In other news, Chuck Norris is writing for WND.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Also,

"Canada's Revolution Against Faith, Freedom, and Family Threatens America"

"Israeli Leaders Exposed--The Erev Rav--3000 Years of Treachery"

"NukAlert Keychain, 24/7 Radiation Alert and Alarm"

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped reading VERY soon after his "exclusively organic" stance.

Rivka: China too.

-----

Having said that. I don't care for soy milk but MAN soy chocolate milk is better then any other form IMO. Tofu (Dou Fu) will always have a place in my heart when cooked Chinese style.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
There have actually been some questions raised about soy formula and its use for infants.

I have serious doubts about this statement from the article:
quote:
Research in 2000 showed that a soy-based diet at any age can lead to a weak thyroid, which commonly produces heart problems and excess fat. Could this explain the dramatic increase in obesity today?
Just a guess, but I would venture to say that the vast majority of overweight people are not getting fat on soy products, but rather on fast foods and oversize portions.

Snopes has some interesting info on the subject.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Sorry to not post on-topic, Mig, but that stuff is just too good to not post. [Big Grin]
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that soy increases estrogen levels?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped reading when I saw the URL was World Net Daily.

Please don't quote us articles from there. They're right wing version of NPR or the NY Times.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

I'm very rightwinged by most accounts and a regular at several conservative websites (it was one of these that brought my attention to this), but I'd never heard of WND before today. But then I'm not a religious conservative.

There are nuts all across the political spectrum, at the ends, in the middle, every where. But I'm in the mood to pick on some of my fellow conservatives today. Including the makers of this silly thing: Behind: Eternal Forces, known as the "convert or die game." http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/12/12/MNG8TMU1KQ1.DTL

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Mig, I had no idea that game even existed. Thats for brining it up.

Talk about sick, huh?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon, I saw those too. That whole site is bizarre.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think National Dairy Month is coming up (january). Every time NDM approaches, we are hit with articles detailing the evils of soy.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a google around on soy and senility. Here's what I found out:

Soy prevents cancer.
Soy doesn't prevent cancer.
Soy correlates with earlier senility in men.
...no, in everyone.
...no, it's useful for treating Alzheimer's (not very, I expect, or tofu for seniors would be all over the tube)

Fortunately, for me, the decision is easy. At least until tofu starts tasting a lot better.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I read out of curiousity and noticed one big issue:

He didn't quote sources.

Anyone who doesn't tell from where they're getting their research is not worthy of my time, IMHO.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a smart perspective, Tinros.

I like soy milk, but there is enough of a stir about the phytoestrogens (estrogen-like compounds in soy) that I shy away from it now. I have a family history of breast cancer, and though it isn't the kind known to be hereditary, this isn't one of the areas where it's worth it to me to take the chance until the research is in.

Just like I stopped taking a birth control pill, so I've regretfully been passing on my beloved Silk chocolate. [Frown]

----

Edited to add:

Cornell's Sprecher Cancer Institute fact sheet on phytoestrogens and breast cancer risk (vet- and human-med affiliates, summarizes the research well)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew. Thank god we have commentators like Jim Rutz to tell us that soy milk gives us the gay.

I'm sure his sources are pristine. Whatever they are. I guess he just didn't care to say.

Probably just would break the flow of his thrilling expose.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality.
LOL. What a funny article!
Also when considering the dudes I've been with are usually well endowed. [Smile]
quote:
James Rutz is chairman of Megashift Ministries and founder-chairman of Open Church Ministries. He is the author of "MEGASHIFT: Igniting Spiritual Power," and, most recently, "The Meaning of Life." If you'd rather order by phone, call WND's toll-free customer service line at
Gotta love churchy people pretending to be scientists.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid soy protein isolates. There is a lot of concern over soy, but the part about it making people gay is silly. I'm more concerned about little kids being raised on low fat diets leading to depression, sleep disorders, immune problems, and whatever else can result from a lack of essential fatty acids.

For a while I took soy because it made my period regular. But it also apparently made me temporarily infertile. Cutting out chocolate and most sugars has accomplished the regularity part, and it saves money rather than costing. Though I haven't checked to see if I'm fertile, lately.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He is the author of "MEGASHIFT: Igniting Spiritual Power,"
Sounds to me like someone has a phallic preoccupation and is trying to compensate. [Wink] [Taunt]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I stopped reading when I saw the URL was World Net Daily.

Please don't quote us articles from there. They're right wing version of NPR or the NY Times.

Actually, WND is more like a right-wing version of indymedia.org. It makes NPR and the NYT positively moderate, in terms of news coverage (I will grant that the op-eds of those sources may be more leftist).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Megashift Ministries?

I find it amazing that they managed to be one letter away from a totally accurate title.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Livvie, when I hear that name, I picture a giant gearshift, and this man standing with his hand on it, grinning ear to ear... [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*snorfle*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel suspicious of people spouting off like that. I go to Snopes when I get e-mails that ask to be forwarded. I double-check to make sure my car doors are locked. [Dont Know]

Anyway, my older daughter likes chocolate soy milk ... with her cocoa puffs cereal. [Angst]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

Scientific American.com weighs in on the "controversy." The article notes that soy may reduce the chances of breast cancer.
http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?title=eating_soy_will_not_make_you_gay_we_swea&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&ref=rss

rivka
Member # 4859

Some of the comments are priceless.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew pirates were to blame.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Soy is consumed a lot by vegetarians. Vegetarians tend to generally be liberal. Gay people are typically liberal as well. I'm sure that means that there is a population of Gay vegetarians who consume soy. Yes there are tons of exceptions in both regards, I will not dispute that.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
If Stephan is serious, and I really can't tell if he is, I think we have a new winner for the "correlation != causation" thread...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Soy doesn't make you gay?

*tears up plans to spike Fred Phelp's drink*

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Soy doesn't make you gay?

*tears up plans to spike Fred Phelp's drink*

[ROFL]

Would I have the honors of spiking it? I truly despise that man! [Big Grin]

Anyways, this is absolutely ridiculous. Besides the hilarity of the notion that soy milk makes you gay ("OH NOES!!1!"), I find the idea of gender stereotyping worse. People are so preoccupied with making genders equal tha I'm always amused when they panic at the slightest hint of femininity in a man and butchness in a woman. Jeez... as far as I'm concerned, gender roles and archetypes shouldn't exist. An effinite, artsy man is no less a man than a sports nut, car-buff man, and saying otherwise is worthy of the sad shaking of my head.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with regular cow milk?
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:

If you're lactose intolerant, as I am, then cow's milk gives you stomach aches. And besides, soy milk tastes better. [Wink]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

No it doesn't.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Although kefirized cows milk doesn't give stomach aches. Because the lactose is all gone.

I used to drink soy milk until I learned about the estrogen side effects. I don't, at this point anyway, need to add more estrogen to this body.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post much on hatrack, but since this topic seemed to be of interest to a number of you folks...

Would you mind taking my survey that relates to this topic? I'm collecting some information for a research paper.

survey link

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

I like the Ronald Reagan tshirts advertised on the side.

What's wrong with drinking regular cow's milk?

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:

It's so cool when I'm consistant. I didn't realize I read and posted this before.

[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

I assumed you meant "consume soy milk" and not just drinking it -- we use most of it in cooking, not to drink straight.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to start drinking soy milk, and stop when I'm bi. I don't think my GF would like me to be fully gay, but being just a little gay might help me dress nicer [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That article was ridiculous. I did do some reading on this myself a few months back, though, and came to the conclusion that I would not feed my son soy milk or soy products. I found plenty of positive things about soy products, but couldn't help but notice that the vast majority of them were put out there or somehow linked to soybean farmers. I then found information suggesting that soy milk negatively impacted digestion, thyroid development, sexual development (function, not orientation), and was linked to diabetes. Soy is a natural source of estrogen.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

So is plastic. Well, not "natural," per se, but most water bottles and the like are packed with estrogens that leak into the liquids they carry.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't figure out how this issue has no bearing on the entire nation of Japan. Maybe it's a physiological difference, but soy products are a huge staple of the Japanese diet for men and women, adults and children. Are there any studies about soy's estrogen contents that explain why all of Asia is just fine?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Read part two Annie. He addresses Japan and provides links to a study. He basically says that they don't each as much soy as we think they eat, and a lot of what they do eat is molecularly different. For clarification, I just wanted to let you know that although I'm pointing you to where he answers your question, I'm not into defending the author or his sources.

In regards to the article, I honestly thought it was satire at first. This stuff is funnier reading than The Onion. Even if there are valid concerns about using soy products, this guy is so over the top by saying it will turn all us guys into teh gay that it's just hard to take him seriously.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The Asian diet is hugely different from ours and I'm not sure, therefore, how you could do a direct comparison. I think it would be impossible to isolate the effects of the soybean products. In truth, all studies of how certain foods impact our lives are a bit difficult to swallow because how do you isolate the effects of that one food?

The truth is, it wasn't hard for me to make the decision not to give my child soybean products. We have no allergies and they have never been a part of my diet, either. I looked into it because of a recent health trend that suggests soy and soybean products are good for you, but I didn't find conclusive evidence that this was a healthy food that I should include in my diet. I found a lot of information put out there by soybean farmers suggesting that soybeans can do all kinds of things for you from reducing heart disease to curing cancer, but other foods have those claims as well. Meanwhile, I found the articles suggesting that it might be bad for children compelling. Since my family makes a lot of healthy food choices including lean meats, fish, fruits, and vegetables and since we have no allergy concerns, it just seemed better to stick with the diet I felt comfortable with.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, and when it comes to size, there IS that stereotype about Asian men... [Razz]

Me, I drank whole milk as a child, like a REAL MAN! .....wait a second...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The average American eats a lot more soy than they think they do. Many processed foods contain some sort of soy - lethecin, vegetable oil/gum/starch/protein, mono and diglyceride, vit E, natural flavoring are often made from soy.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh, you mean people actually like soy milk? o.O
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading the title as "So You Want a Devil's Food Cake."

Darn you!
*shakes fist

(*lives next to an Italian pastry chef's store)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.