FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fagles and the Aeneid

Author Topic: Fagles and the Aeneid
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I've begun reading the masterful new translation of Virgil's Aeneid by the same incredible poet and scholar who gave us a new Iliad in 1990 and a vibrant Odyssey in 1996: Robert Fagles.

My previous two attempts to enjoy this Roman epic, in the Mendalbaum and Fitzgerald versions, were sterile... I was not moved at all by the genuflecting "heroism" of Aeneas. But Fagles has breathed energy and relevance into this epic of empire-building... I'm midway through book four, and I just wanted to really recommend the translation to everyone. I'll periodically post my impressions of what I read in this thread.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recommendation, David. I've read the Aenid a couple of times (Fitzgerald both times), and I agree that it's always felt sterile. I'll give Fagles' translation a try.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read parts of both the Mandelbaum and the Fagles translations, but haven't had time to read all of The Aeneid yet, in any translation (a travesty, I know). From what I recall, I really enjoyed reading the Fagles, but for school purposes I thought the footnoting was better/more convenient in the Mandelbaum. That might have just been the edition I had of the former, though; I'm not sure, since it was almost a year ago.

Eventually, I'd like to read all of both translations.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure you mean Fagles, and not Fitzgerald? Fagles just published his, that's why I ask.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a try. I've never liked any published translation of the Aeneid I've ever read (though I did find a very accurate one on the web). It'd be nice to have an English copy so I don't have to wade through it myself.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it's possible, and highly probable. I know the translator's name began with 'F', so it probably was Fitzgerald. I know I read part of a Fagles translation for that class, but I was looking at bits of the Iliad and Odyssey too, as well as The Divine Comedy (all in various translations), so there's a good possibility that I'm getting things mixed up. Whoops. [Blushing] Carry on.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

It's all good, Nell. So many names... no need to blush! Heh.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I never finished the Aeneid. I found it dreadfully dull, after the Iliad and Odyssey (and I made lists of ships for fun out of the Iliad, so that's saying something). This made things a bit tricky for my Epic finals, but I managed somehow. I wonder what translation it was. Do you know, EL? Did you take that class? I took it with Faber, and it was a shiny, plain-covered sort of book with VIRGIL in big letters, if I recall.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one here who read this as Fraggle Rock does the Aenied? (SPOILER****in which Dido Fraggle does not kill herself after Aenid Fraggle leaves. She breaks out into a really cool bluesy number.)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I extremely dislike Fagles' Homeric translations. Call me a purist - or, even better, a Classicist - but I can't get through his translations.

I'll stick with my mid-1960's Lind translation of the Aeneid for the long haul. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

To each her own, Carrie. I own everything Fagles has translated, and I love it all.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I had the fortune (for good or ill) to take Faber's Virgil class. All Virgil, all the time. We translated four of the books, I think. (Maybe it was three?) So we got it straight from the horse's mouth - I think that was better, because some of what makes the poem so brilliant just can't be translated, and Faber was his usual fangirl self.

But yeah, I never took Epic.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, what do you think of Lombardo's translations of Homer?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not Carrie, but Lombardo's Iliad is my favorite.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything sounds and feels better in its original language.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I'll have to try it. I loved his Oddessey translation.

I have only read the Aeneid in Latin.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.