FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Candied Rose Petals?

Author Topic: Candied Rose Petals?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bad habit of buying foods that sound really interesting, and then realising I don't know what I can make out of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for candied rose petals?

They aren't single petals - they came in a can, shredded and syrupy.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Eat them?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm...cake decorations, perhaps?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally they are used as a garnish. Have someone over for dessert and sprinkle them on top of ice cream or a flourless chocolate cake. You can also make cookies, dip the top or one half in melted chocolate, and press a candied rose petal into the wet chocolate, so it sticks when the chocolate dries. Elegant.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, didn't see your edit. My suggestions would still work, but not as well.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
festivus
Member # 9963

- posted      Profile for festivus   Email festivus         Edit/Delete Post 
we candied rosepetals and violets for our mothers for mothers day in kindergarten. I think we just sat them on a plate with the mints.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much of a gourmet chef, but perhaps you could use them as ingredients for Turkish delight.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
ICe cream topping.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
In the end, I made a sorbet of sorts with them. It's not terribly great, but it could be worse.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eaquae, I didn't mention this before, and I should have.
quote:
I have a bad habit of buying foods that sound really interesting, and then realising I don't know what I can make out of them.
This is a really really really cool thing you do. [Big Grin] I used to do that, too, back in Canada, and it was a lot of fun. I love hearing other people doing the same thing. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Oh man, curse of my life.

Ooooh, look, persimmons! (How the heck do you eat a persimmon?)
Egg roll skins! (How do you make egg rolls, anyway?)
Kofta! Gota! (Pretty pictures... what are they?)

And it just goes on. It's especially bad where I am now (downtown TO), with all the ethnic shops around. Eventually most things get eaten one way or another.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya! [Big Grin] I've bought some pretty strange fruits & vegetables and had no idea if the fruit was ripe or what to do with any of it. [Big Grin] At least now we have the internet so we can look things up afterwards. [Big Grin] Back in the late 1980s... [Big Grin] My roommates all thought I was nuts. Well, not that they were wrong...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
You buy food like I buy music. Hmmm, never heard of this band...cover looks neat. Ok, I buy. It usually turns out really well for me.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I say eat some. You don't know what you can do with them until you know how they taste? I think maybe they'd be good with heavily greasy fried foods. But then, I am very strange ...

(quid, I think you took my advice on smileys a bit too serious! No one's doubting your seniority in this thread [Wink] )

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Am I losing my mind? I mean, more than usual? Where did you give me advice on smiley usage?

And no, I'm not mocking you. My head is wobbling around unattached in my brain and bits are falling out...

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. As soon as I posted that I wondered whether or not you would get it. Here is where. [Razz] . Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

OH THAT!

Yeah, okay. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.