FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attention Wii Owners: Wiimote Wrist Strap Replacement Program

Author Topic: Attention Wii Owners: Wiimote Wrist Strap Replacement Program
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Straight from the horse's mouth:

quote:
Nintendo is offering to replace the original version of the wrist straps for the Wii Remote with a newer version. Because Wii consoles shipped starting in early December already utilized the newer version of the strap, you will need to determine which version of the strap you have before ordering a replacement.
This is in no way a comment or criticism. It is only a public service announcement.

[ December 15, 2006, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I never buy anything when it first comes out. It will be a few bucks cheaper in a year or two, and all the bugs will be worked out.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a recall, a voluntary replacement. The mainstream media is screwing it up again! [Wink]

Seriously, no one has to return the original straps, which would be a requirement for a recall.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Stephan, this isn't a product bug, IMO. It's the old adage of building better idiots come to life.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My controller has never flown out of my hand as of yet I don't think I have put any strain on the strap whatsoever. But hey if Nintendo wants to be safer by offering free enchanced straps good can only come of it.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that Sony enthusiasts are testing the limits of the straps and upon breaking them jumping up and down screaming, "UNCLEAN err UNSAFE!"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Bok. I've amended the title.

The cord that connects the wrist strap to the Wiimote is roughly 1/2 the diameter of the equivalent cord on my digital camera, and I think assuming it's made of the same material is reasonable. While the camera is more valuable, I also don't flail it around the way I do with the Wiimote. If I owned a Wii, I'd get new straps.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, I probably will too, but since Christmas is coming, and I may get new Wii Remotes, I'll wait and see if I need more than one, and get them all at once.

-Bok

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
we already took the straps off of our Wii remotes. They were just getting in the way. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
New for 2007, Nintendo releases the next generation in Wii-safety.

Wii-nerf - a cushioned padding that surrounds your Wii-mote so that it causes less damage when you fling it across the room

Wii-goggles - protective eyewear for those around you while you play your Wii

Wii-poxy - industrial strength adhesive that can be applied to your hands before playing

Wii-bungee - high-elastic bungee straps designed to extend, then fling the Wii-mote back into the faces of people not bright enough to hold onto a small piece of plastic

Wii-harness - a fully body strap that attaches the Wii-mote to the user's chest with heavy climbing straps.

Wii-sylum - a fully padded room in which you may play your Wii in complete security

...and the new term for people who can't seem to keep hold of their Wii-mote while playing? Wii-tarded.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this comment on the BBC web site:

quote:
My wrist straps are fine. Over the years I've managed to develop an ability to hold onto my controllers for an extended period of time without them flying out of my hand. My grip works well on plates, glasses and various types of fruit as well.

Chris Brooks, Sittingbourne, UK

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wii-sylum - a fully padded room in which you may play your Wii in complete security
Ooh! Ooh! Gimmie!

Since launch there's been at least one third-party brand of wiimote cover that is rubbery grip surfaced and has its own strap.

The BBC quote reminds me of Penn's comments on juggling flaming torches. "The absolute worst possible thing that can happen here is I catch the wrong end. When that happens, I drop it very quickly. This is not a skill that required years of juggling training, trust me."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Actually, a nerf Wii Remote is in the works, I forget from whom though. It wasn't Nintendo, but a third-party.

-Bok

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.