FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, is the cat dead or alive? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, is the cat dead or alive?
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm conducting a survey.

Here are the stats so far:
Dead: 2
Alive: 2
Both: 1

A cat is placed in a box with a flask of cat poison that has a 50% chance of being open and a 50% chance of being closed at any given time. The cat and the poison are completely sealed off from the outside world. We have no knowledge of what is going on inside that box. Therefore, physics professors claim, the cat is BOTH alive and dead at the same time. I see this view as cowardly. You can't go through life putting off this important decision indefinitely. So how do YOU choose? Dead? Alive? or both? What do YOU believe?
(I believe that the cat lives.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks.
I've read that description several times, and this sentence is always left off. It makes the whole concept much more understandable.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

But it's a matter of belief. My belief that the cat lives has, without a doubt, enriched my life. Agnosticism is cowardly; you have to decide what you believe at some point.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we only answer "dead", "alive", or "both"? I cannot answer any of them.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

Answer what you will; those were merely guidelines. Everyone has to come to their own decision.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it so important to decide? I don't know is a perfectly acceptable answer.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
My answer is either dead or alive, but not both. Obviously, if there is a 50% chance that the gas will or won't be released, then we can't give a preference for one or the other. Even if there is some sort of superposition thing going on, I see no reason why a cat would not be able to act as an "observer".
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Horse:
Why is it so important to decide? I don't know is a perfectly acceptable answer.

If you choose to go through life claiming that you don't know, fine. I'm simply asking you to make the leap of faith. It will make your life better, trust me.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that he actually had four cats.

The three named Fluffy, Whiskers, and Lucky died while the one named Dog lived.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
No one should ever name their cat lucky.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Therefore, physics professors claim, the cat is BOTH alive and dead at the same time. I see this view as cowardly.
Well, not quite. Your analogy is somewhat imperfect.

quote:
It will make your life better, trust me.
This, I'm afraid, is a steaming load. You have at best your own uninformed opinion to back that one up -- and even using your own analogy, your life is only "better" for believing the cat to be alive for as long as you avoid looking in the box. You are essentially asserting that people living in the Matrix are -- even if they are aware of the possibility that they are being harvested by giant robots -- far better off choosing to believe otherwise.

This is actually a more interesting philosophical conversation than a physics conversation (not least because the physics behind this particular example is more involved than what you've presented here).

One of the biggest questions of modern philosophy is one of epistemology: how do you know what you know, and how can you tell whether what you "know" accurately reflects reality? The problem, of course, is that our perceptions and conceptions are limited and cannot currently be said to accurately reflect the actual state of the universe. There is no way for us to tell whether we're butterflies dreaming we're men, or disembodied brains floating in vats, or any of those other thought experiments. So what's the proper response to that situation?

One common answer is that it doesn't matter. You should live your life as if your perceptions were accurate, but with the conscious knowledge that they almost certainly aren't. This is the equivalent of agnosticism.

Another possibility is to assert that someday your perceptions WILL be able to completely reflect reality, and that if you were living in the Matrix you could somehow become able to tell. This is the "believer" answer.

The third option is to live as if your perceptions ARE the real world, and discard as irrelevant any concerns about a world you cannot perceive; only upon perceiving them or their effects can any phenomena become relevant. This would be the equivalent of atheism.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

...Exactly.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
My answer is either dead or alive, but not both.

Both. Multiple universe theory.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that cats have nine lives, I submit that the cat is alive, dead, non-existent, half-dead, mutated into half-cat/half-killer-monkey, sentient, omniscient, smaller than a germ, and capable of scratching elephants to death - and all at the same time. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

Just to back up my belief: This box is NEVER going to be opened. It's pointless to consider the possibility that the cat may be dead or in critical condition, because we can't do anything to help it either way. It was doomed from the minute some old physics professor decided to lock it in a box. So why not just believe that it's alive and save yourself the emotional pain that it might be dead? I like cats.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither. Until we look. (If the cat is a subatomic cat.)
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

About your cat in the box, I am agnostic. If it was a real cat, whoever put him in the box would be in deep trouble.

I don't trust you, nor do I need to. My life is fine without wondering about cats in boxes.

Tom is almost certainly right. I might be. And your reply to him might seem to be the safe one. [Wink]

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

If you're never going to open the box, then the cat is dead.

And the _Horse is almost certainly Dead, too.

Soara
Member # 6729

quote:

Tom is almost certainly right. I might be. And your reply to him might seem to be the safe one. [Wink] [/QB]

Tom didn't seem to give any opinion, though I'm guessing he's going with the agnostic approach. But he did give an accurate outline of the possibilities.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If the cat is never going to be let out of the box, then it's dead no matter what.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Horse:
If you're never going to open the box, then the cat is dead.

And the _Horse is almost certainly Dead, too.

And obviously this is a metaphorical cat, that is not in need of oxygen or any such thing.
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
obviously [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
If your question is "Is the cat dead or alive?" then the correct answer is that there is a 50% chance that the cat is alive, and there is a 50% chance that the cat is not alive, and I don't know which.

If your question is "Do you BELIEVE the cat is dead or alive?" then my answer is that I really don't know, but I am certain it is one or the other, and is definitely not "neither". After all, if there is a 50% chance the cat is alive, and a 50% chance the cat is not alive, then the laws of probability dictate that there is a 0% chance the cat is neither alive nor not alive. And since "alive" implies not "not alive" and since "not alive" implies not "alive", I know it cannot be both. They are logically mutually exclusive.

Do you think I need to BELIEVE the cat is alive in order for it to ACTUALLY BE alive? If so, you must think the cat is something that exists entirely in my mind. I don't believe this. I think the cat actually exists independently of me, and if it is alive then it will be alive regardless of what I do or do not know about it.

Of course, particles might be different from cats. I think it is reasonable to think the particles are symbolic things that exist only in our minds to describe what we know about things like cats. That would be a bit strange, but if so, it might make sense to say that if we don't know whether or not a particle is in a given spot, it is neither in that sport nor not in that spot at once. But to extend that analogy to cats would be simply wrong, if you believe cats actually do exist independly of us human beings.

quote:
The third option is to live as if your perceptions ARE the real world, and discard as irrelevant any concerns about a world you cannot perceive; only upon perceiving them or their effects can any phenomena become relevant. This would be the equivalent of atheism.
It is also theism, if you believe that God can be perceived. Most theists I know belive He can.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I submit that it's actually a silicon-based catform and therefore would instantaneously die upon contact with carbon, which means the cardboard box itself would kill the cat. Cruel, cruel experiment.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
And obviously this is a metaphorical cat, that is not in need of oxygen or any such thing.
My metaphorical cat has enslaved mankind and outlawed hypothetical questions.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
Neither. Until we look. (If the cat is a subatomic cat.)

If it's a subatomic cat, and it doesn't breathe, is it still a cat?

And if it exists in multiple universes, is it "the same cat" in both universes, or is it two different cats?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks.
I've read that description several times, and this sentence is always left off. It makes the whole concept much more understandable.
Yes, but it's this picture that really makes the article.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Two different cats existing simultaneously in an infinite number of multiple universes - that sounds like the kind of cat that can take over the multiple universes. I dub him Oberon! And the other, lesser, cat ruler can be, uh, Spot!
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Do you think I need to BELIEVE the cat is alive in order for it to ACTUALLY BE alive? If so, you must think the cat is something that exists entirely in my mind. I don't believe this. I think the cat actually exists independently of me, and if it is alive then it will be alive regardless of what I do or do not know about it.

Of course, particles might be different from cats. I think it is reasonable to think the particles are symbolic things that exist only in our minds to describe what we know about things like cats. That would be a bit strange, but if so, it might make sense to say that if we don't know whether or not a particle is in a given spot, it is neither in that sport nor not in that spot at once. But to extend that analogy to cats would be simply wrong, if you believe cats actually do exist independly of us human beings.

Does the same apply to God?
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Yes, but it's this picture that really makes the article.
Clearly.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"a cat is placed in a box"

They don't say whether the cat is alive at first or not.

My answer is that the cat was already dead, and the poison and the question are irrelevant.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I submit that it's actually a silicon-based catform and therefore would instantaneously die upon contact with carbon

Huh? Why would a silicon-based lifeform (cat or otherwise) instantly die upon contact with carbon? Carbon-based lifeforms don't die instantly upon contact with silicon.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many possible answers to this supposed puzzle.

1) The cat is alive. Once it is dead, it ceases to be a "cat" and becomes something else, so, if you say there's a cat in there, then it must be alive.

2) The poison has a .50 probability of deploying in any given moment in time? And one "whiff" of it will kill the cat? Um, if you know how long a "moment" is, you can pretty much guarantee to any level of precision that the cat is dead "by now" just by waiting for enough moments to pass. Since we've been arguing this particular issue for decades, I'd say that the cat is not only dead, you really should've put some air holes in that box, you ninny. And how about a little food!

3) If the cat's not dead, he's at the very least so traumatized that you really don't want him as a "pet" anymore. Not that you ever did, you heartless !@#$%@*. I've half a mind to report you to PETA!

4) You know, this is exactly why universities had to set up committees to establish protocols for treatment of non-human experimental subjects. Criminy sakes! How could this possibly advance the sum total of human knowledge? Still, it'll make a nice addition to that time capsule we're burying under the new stadium. Thanks!

5) If this was Shroedinger's rat, no one would give two flips! I think that says something about us as a society.

6) Truth be told, this set up, more than the tortured squirrels, is why Peter was quietly de-selected.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

In response to rivka: Because it's my imagination and I say so. [Razz]
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Agnosticism is cowardly; you have to decide what you believe at some point.
This only shows that you misunderstand what agnosticism is.

definition:

quote:
1. The doctrine that certainty about first principles or absolute truth is unattainable and that only perceptual phenomena are objects of exact knowledge.
2. The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.

Agnosticism does not mean, "i'm too afraid to make a decision so I just won't decide." Agnosticism says, "the answer is unknowable." This is itself a belief, and thus falls under your definition of "you have to decide what you believe at some point."
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
'Es pining.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
After placing the cat and flask in the box there was an infinitely small moment when the box was neither closed nor opened.

We are dead.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
If this was Shroedinger's rat, no one would give two flips!

Or Schroedinger's cockroach, who was featured in the Mother of all Windows books for precisely that reason.

quid, ok. *pat pat*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Alive. Just because I said so. And yes, I have that power.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Agnosticism does not mean, "i'm too afraid to make a decision so I just won't decide." Agnosticism says, "the answer is unknowable." This is itself a belief, and thus falls under your definition of "you have to decide what you believe at some point."
But why would you ever settle for the answer being unknowable if you can never find the answer anyway? No one can ever prove or disprove the existance of God. So therefore the only answer that matters is what you believe in. What you believe in dictates how you act. Since there obviously IS an answer, why not pick an answer to believe and stick with it? After all, you MIGHT be right. Whereas an agnostic has zero chance of being right.

I'm just sayin'.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
No one can ever prove or disprove the existance of God.
Prove it.
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
No one can ever prove or disprove the existance of God.
Prove it.
Could I?
rivka
Member # 4859

This analogy is tired, stretched beyond belief, and insulting to boot.

As someone who has actually "chosen" by your analogy, I have this to say:

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

And go learn some more physics. If you're going to use an analogy, at least understand it.

skillery
Member # 6209

If God exists in this universe, then all truth in the universe is knowable, and the unknown state of the cat is unsustainable. The laws of probability have claim upon the status of the cat when that status eventually becomes known. Until then "unknown" is a valid state for the cat.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

If man is the only observer in our universe capable of establishing standards of aliveness, then the status of the cat's aliveness as defined by man is unknown until the cat is observed by man or until man becomes God.
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Open the damned box and find out. This sounds like something congress would do.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are answering the wrong question still. The question is "Is the cat dead or alive?" The question is not "Do we know whether the cat is dead or alive?"

If the cat is alive, it is alive whether we can know it or not.

"Unknown" does not describe the status of the cat. It is the status of our beliefs about the cat.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

If God does not exist in our universe, then the box cannot be damned.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh... This is precisely why all popularisers of science should be shot. I'll put it in my TODO list, right after the Anglican bishops.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
The question is not "Do we know whether the cat is dead or alive?"

Unfortunately, our definitions of "dead" and "alive" are dependent upon human observation. Those words cannot be applied to unobservable things.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.