FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In whose world does whipping cream...

Author Topic: In whose world does whipping cream...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
not whip?

Other than mine, I mean?

I tried making cream puffs for the first time three days ago. They ended up being cream flats. [Frown] I took another look at the recipe I followed, then found another one on another website with much more explicit and additional instructions but exact same ingredient list, and followed that one. I got cream puffs. [Big Grin] Even Fahim was impressed.

Well, a little, anyway. Turns out his mother used to make them years and years and years ago. But since she's in Kurunegala, I couldn't ask her what I did wrong with the first batch.

Anywho, the second batch turned out much better, although, to nitpick, the ones baked on an aluminum sheet stuck, but the ones I baked on glass came off perfectly fine. I think I'll be sticking to glass from here on out. Except the ones on aluminum were much softer, and the ones on glass were drier. [Frown] They were baked in two batches. I have tweaking to do.

So. Fahim wanted chocolate icing inside his, but I wanted something a bit lighter. Like, say, whipped cream.

So, I got whipping cream. [Smile] 36% fat. Right within the 35-40% range required for whipping purposes. And I whipped. And whipped. And it turned to butter. So I got the second thingie out, and tried whipping that, but... It was not doing anything either. I mean, both whipped. A bit. But not to the point of keeping a peak or anything resembling a peak. They barely got waves. [Frown]

So I figured, well, the cream's crappy (not literally, but close enough [Razz] ) so I'll do something else with it. I remembered that awful gross chocolate couverture I had in the freezer, and thought, well, maybe as a ganache it'll taste better or at least be passable or something. Oh, please, please, please be passable or something.

It ended up tasting pretty good. Too dark, so I added sugar, and whipped it a bunch more, and whaddya know, it starts getting thick enough to hold a shape. And it tastes really good. Even Fahim liked it. Really really really really good. Not like it has gross horrible waxy Sri Lankan crap chocolate in it, but like it has really really really really good dark chocolate in it. Wow!

What is it about lousy cream and horrible chocolate that it mixes up good like that?

And then I fill the cream puffs - which really were incredibly puffy - completely hollow inside like they're supposed to be - and Oh. My.

The only downside - for Fahim (and only Fahim, cuz I gotta tell you, I got a huge kick out of it) - was that the ganache-wannabe oozed out of the puff and dribbled on his beard. It was luverly. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds yum. [Smile]

So was it a choux pastry kind of thing?

I've never tried to cook it, but I want to.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I thought this was going to be about something different...

*clears throat* I don't know, my husband prefers cool whip and I don't like whipped cream, so I haven't made it in years. What kind of mixer are you using? Maybe it's too slow?

Well, sounds like it all worked out in any case.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I have never had cool whip (it's not sold here).

From what I understand of it, it seems... kind of gross. Is it?

(Keep in mind, I'm kind of fussy about food. In particular, any food in a pressurised can, I'm really not big on).

[/tangent]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you whip them in a glass bowl?

The whipping must be done with a metal whisk or mixer blade. The bowl really makes a difference. It needs to be glass or metal (never plastic) and perfectly dry - water will retard the whipping.

Which brings me to what I suspect the real reason might be...how humid is it right now?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool whip is not pressurized. Which, in my mind, makes it more suspect.

And whip cream in a pressurized can is real whip cream (if you buy the right stuff). Many restaurants use refillable cans with pressurized cartridges.

quid, were your bowl and beaters chilled? That can help. And, if it's really hot there, an ice bath under the bowl can help, too.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen - yes, I think it's called choux pastry. [Big Grin] And I'm with you on Cool Whip.

ladyday - [Big Grin]

I don't know what kind of mixer it is. Maybe it's a Moulinex. I dunno. Even when we get brand name stuff that is recognized in North America, it isn't always the same quality for equivalent brands. So, possibly being slow? Yeah, that's possible. Absolutely. This is the first time I've tried using this machine to whip cream.

It's always humid here. It's a tropical country in monsoon season. Silly question. [Razz]

Yeah, I suspect it's that combined with heat. You know, tropical country and all that. [Razz] So, no, I didn't have ice under the bowl. But it sounds like something worth trying next time.

Everything was chilled and I was using dry metal. It's most likely either a. it got hot too fast or b. whipping cream here is really lousy. Either one is so entirely possible.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find cool whip revolting but my husband likes all kinds of odd things *shrugs*. What can you do?
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Can't live with 'em, can't hide the body? [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to CoolWhip. And other non-dairy substitutes. How weird is that?

I'm going to go with it was too humid, because I have successfully whipped cream with eggbeaters. It takes a long time but it's doable. I have also whipped cream in +90-degree F weather, so I'm not absolutely sure it's heat. However, when humidity hit about 75% while we lived in Dallas, my cream would never whip properly.

I am not sure that poor quality cream would make a difference, either, since I have successfully whipped light whipped cream to a stiff peak (it takes a long time, even in my KitchenAid, but it can be done.) Now, if it was contaminated with some weird kind of something that stopped the cream from forming its structure as air was whipped into it, maybe...

But I suspect either you did not whip long enough, or humidity was to blame.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

imogen, the good instructions I found are at the Joy of Baking. If you want to give 'em a try, follow that. [Smile]

Um, kq, thing is, the first time I whipped it, it went straight from barely having waves to butter. No steps in between. It didn't even begin to approach anything even similar to stiff peaks. The second time... I didn't see a point in continuing since it was doing the same thing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Did you try diluting it with a little milk? Maybe it had too much fat and not enough other liquids...

I will look up the situation and see what I can find. But humidity could, imo, cause that kind of separation.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay. According to the information I found, heat does affect whipping; it makes the globules that need to stiffen too soft or some such. I guess working with a KitchenAid, mine is always done fast enough that it doesn't have time to warm up too much. What shape are your beaters? If they're a standard shape, you could also try a bigger bowl. That increases the chance for air to get in faster, according to the article I read (shape of beaters and bowl have to do with how the air is worked in.) And do make sure they are both chilled (beaters and bowl) in the freezer, and keep ice under them.

However, I did not find any specific information about your specific problem, which I am still suspecting is caused in part by humidity, because although I never got all the way to butter, it sounds like my humidity-related problems. Got a dehumidifier?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

81F/27C with 80% humidity. Will that do it? Oh, and that's an hour ago and I did the whipping four hours ago. Hmm. I wonder if I can find anything closer in time?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Are you saying I'd have to do the whipping in my air conditioned bedroom? Cuz that's the only A/C'ed room in the house and the only dehumidifier in the joint... [Big Grin] Oh, I can just imagine the talk now! [Razz]

Anyway, I gotta go to bed. It's that time. See y'all in the morning! [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

81 F isn't that hot, ime that wouldn't be the biggest problem. 80% humidity would. Sorry, sister, sounds like whipped cream is not in your future. [Frown]

But if you really want it, yeah, try the bedroom. [Big Grin]

Goodnight!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and the only other advice I found is don't put vanilla, sugar, or other flavorings in until it starts to get some structure, they can interfere with whipping in adverse conditions.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I mentioned whipping the cream in the bedroom to Fahim, and he vetoed it. I apparently make too much of a mess for his tastes, and he doesn't want to wake up with whipping cream in his hair. [Razz] I can't imagine why not...

I didn't put the vanilla, sugar, whatever in the whipping cream. I thought the same thing about it needing to whip, first.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll give the ice under the bowl thing a try next time and see if that helps. And/or try a different brand.

And I've reiterated my request to Fahim to install a fan in the kitchen. Maybe if he sees me dripping more after I cook he'll relent... [Razz] A fan in the kitchen could help, I think.

Anyway, thanks!

Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
Why has no-one suggested the real answer?

Take the whipping cream.
Buy a whipped cream dispenser.
Buy some cartridges.
Discard whipping cream.
... Enjoy.

If a constant supply of NO2 doesn't make you smile, then there's something very wrong.

AW

Andrew W Corporation explicitley does not condone or promote the use of gaseous nitrous oxide as an inhalant or recreational substance. Obey packaging and Do Not Inhale. The opinions expressed above are a screenplay and do not reflect the views of the Board of Directors, Associates, and or any of the Cleaning Staff. No one has ever inhaled N02, in fact I think it's poisonous. Do not use when pregnant, in charge of heavy machinery, when suffering from any respiratory inflammatory diseases, carrying delicate things, trying to impress the mother in law, balancing on anything - especially high and slippery things, or in fact at all.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

...because they don't exist here? [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.