FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My name is Stephan, I'm a man, and I don't like sports (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My name is Stephan, I'm a man, and I don't like sports
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
That's not a bad definition, I can get behind that one. It would include curling though.

The lines are fuzzy. I don't consider ballroom dancing a sport, but I do consider gymnastics a sport. Weird. Both require athleticism, grace, involve music (in women's gymnastics anyway, if only in floor exercise) and are judged subjectively.

But I think dance is more of an art form, not a sport. Though the gymnastics my daughter participates in is called artistic gymnastics. [Confused]

My head asplode.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
NASCAR is shown on ESPN, this has always confused me, because I don't consider NASCAR a sport. Does anyone have any idea why NASCAR is a sport?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it involves men with southern accents, costly equipment, and beer?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Because it NASCAR takes a particular set of physical skills that must be practiced and mastered, requires great physical endurance, and very few people do it well.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I admire people who have mastered special skills and play sports well, but I don't get the level of mania involved on the part of the fans. I watch some Olympic sports, bike races occassionally (in person, mostly)and Iditarod coverage on TV.

Mostly, I put sporting activities in the same sub-group as sex-- more fun to do than to watch. *shrug* That's just me, though.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, an inherent part of a sport is the competition. Soccer, for example, is inherently competetive with each team trying to accomplish what the other team is trying to thwart.

Activities like golf and archery are not directly competetive like that. You aren't directly competing with anybody -- you're just competing with their results. Still, those results are straightfoward, so I'll consider them sports.

But activities like gymnasticsdiving, and figure scating are even further removed from competition. You can't even compete directly with the results of your competitors -- you're competing with the judge's evaluation of you're competitor's performance.

To me, any activity in which the winner is decided by comparing judge's scores is not a sport. It is a demonstration, just like ballroom dancing and ballet.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Because it involves men with southern accents, costly equipment, and beer?"

Scott drinks Haterade. [Mad]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Poker is shown on ESPN, which says a lot more about their definition then NASCAR does.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
To me, an inherent part of a sport is the competition. Soccer, for example, is inherently competetive with each team trying to accomplish what the other team is trying to thwart.

Activities like golf and archery are not directly competetive like that. You aren't directly competing with anybody -- you're just competing with their results. Still, those results are straightfoward, so I'll consider them sports.

But activities like gymnasticsdiving, and figure scating are even further removed from competition. You can't even compete directly with the results of your competitors -- you're competing with the judge's evaluation of you're competitor's performance.

To me, any activity in which the winner is decided by comparing judge's scores is not a sport. It is a demonstration, just like ballroom dancing and ballet.

I agree with this, for the most part, and I think that you're right on in the distinction that you're making between sport and demonstration. I think that there's often a certain value judgement attached to the lable "sport", with things that are deemed "not-sport" being seen as "less-than" rather than "other", and that that gets in the way of coming to a consensus on what "sport" is.

The one thing that I'd add to your description of what "sport" is would be that the activity would have to involve a certain level of physical exertion. Jacks, to use the example I brought up with Belle, strikes me as an activity that meets all of the points of your description but still can't be considered a sport, and I think that the reason for that it the lack of exertion required to play it.

But then, what about competitive shooting? That seems like a sport to me, and while it's more physically demanding tha sitting on the couch, it doesn't require that much exertion? And if that counts as a sport, what about doing the same thing in a simulator? And if that counts as a sport, what about Duckhunt on the NES?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Poker is shown on ESPN, which says a lot more about their definition then NASCAR does.

I didn't realize this. I tend to avoid ESPN with all possible diligence. I only noticed the NASCAR thing because I was trapped in a room where it was playing (family reunion).
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was the first guy in my high school class to earn my varsity jacket (two varsity sports letters) and competed on academic decathlon. What the heck clique is THAT? I never did figure that one out...
We didn't have an academic decathlon, but I had 4 varsity letters and was on the quiz bowl team, literary rally team, and in the school plays every year. (does that classify me as 'nerd/jock'?)
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If it does, then I'm one too, since I had letters in softball.

And fencing doesn't involve a ball, but it's certainly a sport.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
figure scating
[Angst]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::weeps with laughter::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, why are you angsty about a scarecrow-building contest?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And wrestling is shown on the sci fi channel. Rationalize that!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Well that makes more sense. Sci Fi includes fantasy.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then can't ESPN include activities that fantasize about being called sports?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then can't ESPN include activities that fantasize about being called sports?
Would not bother me any, I never watch it. They could show Sesame Street for all I care.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Sci Fi includes fantasy.
No it doesn't.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka is right - speculative fiction includes both sci fi and fantasy, but the two are not the same and fantasy is most definitely NOT a sub-group of sci fi.

Most. Definitely. Not.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Precisely.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody see them showing video game competitions on ESPN this morning?
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I did. I was sitting in a restaurant that had ESPN going on overhead TVs. The guys in the football competitions, at least, were idiots. Way too much into what, for me, is something I do to relax. Still, interesting enough.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Because it NASCAR takes a particular set of physical skills that must be practiced and mastered, requires great physical endurance, and very few people do it well.

Same goes for singing... even karaoke. That definition is too vague, because many non "athletic" activities are still physically taxing and difficult.

edit: Additionally, many things require skills, are physically taxing, are done for spectators, and are subjects of competition, but are not sports.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe there are people who don't like sports. Instead, I just beleive there are people who haven't learned that they like sports yet. [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: That's true, but all (most?) of those can be excluded by m_p_h's definition above.

--j_k, who edited this many times

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one problem with selling insurance. A lot of casual business is done over a good game of golf. That is, if you don't like golf. Me, I would love to do casual business over a game of golf.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

When I run my own agency such casual business will be done on a beach with margaritas.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Teams suck. Heh.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

To me, the most enjoyable aspect of any "sport" is the asthetic of human bodies performing at their peak. It doesn't really matter to me whether is a basketball player jumping, a bike racer sprinting up the Alpe de Huez, a soccer goalie making an incredible save, or a gymnast doing a backward salto.

To me, the competition is only important because it inspires athletes to keep pushing the envelope of what the human body can do. I don't care whether the scoring is determined by time on a clock, getting balls into a goal or by a panel of judges so long as the scoring is leading to better athleticism.

For that reason, I enjoy watching sports that I've have done much more than sports I don't do. My personal experience with bike riding for example makes it more obvious to me how good the top bike racers are. I have a greater understanding for what their sport demands and therefore a greater appreciation of how incredibly their bodies perform. I also get a great deal of enjoyment out of gymnastics because what they are able to do with their bodies is so far above the normal ability of humans.

In contrast, I haven't played football enough to identify the athleticism involved. Golf is even worse.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think you are all a bunch of blasted thread necromancers!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He noticed the college I went to and asked if I played any sports there. I mentioned that I worked all the way through college, and I am not really a sports fan anyways. His voice got low and basically said, "well anyways, I'll be in touch." I haven't heard back in 3 days.

This is a bit off topic but I thought I mention anyway. You violated one of the key rules for interviewing by talking too much about what you didn't do or what you don't like. I don't know about his interviewer but often interviewers will ask this kind of a question to get you to talk about yourself. The best way to deal with kind of question, assuming you didn't play sports in college is to sidestep and talk about something you did do or do enjoy.

For example, you might have said, "I had to support myself in college so I didn't have alot of time for team sports, but I did swim twice a week and played pool with friends regularly. After college I was a member of a bowling team and right now I'm really into SCUBA diving and hiking." (Of course I don't know if any of those details are correct, but you get the idea). Instead of talking about what you don't do, you've made an opportunity to tell him about yourself and your interests. You've got a long list so chances are he has some interest in one of them. He's likely to respond with something like "Really, I've been thinking about getting into SCUBA". Rather than having put down something that really interests him (team sports), you've turned this in to a chance to talk about you (which is after all what an interview is for).

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Oh I always bring up the fact that I worked through college, I did here to, I just didn't mention in the post. I'll try tacking on the stuff about SCUBA and hiking though, good idea.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we already dobied this thread?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The only sport I watch with any regularity is hockey, which emphasizes the thing I love the most about sports: the unexpected. At pretty much any point, a single flub or brilliant play can turn an ordinary play into a puck in the net, or result in a fantastic save by the goalie.

The score might never be high enough for some people, but even the near goals and near misses are sometimes just as exciting as the ones that actually go in.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.