FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Draft

Author Topic: First Draft
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the second book I've finished. Its existence is a standing miracle, as I'm surprised more authors don't kill themselves during the writing. I've been to the edge and back twelve times in the last year, and I'm not sure anyone can go through this ordeal with their sanity unblemished.

Here is the blurb:

"Claymore Roe followed his hormones to the wrong college. His heart's desire was accepted to Princeton and lust only carried Claymore as far as the Univeristy of California, Berkeley. The 3,000 mile disconnect offered Claymore a long view of his questionable place in this wide land. "Adam's Landing" concerns race, religion and higher education, played out by five students, starting from their respective senior years in high school, following them as they wind through each other's lives, damned to an awful wisdom at the steps of the University of California."

It's 80k, and I still have some editing to do, to inject some of the animal lustiness Steinbeck and Kingsolver write so well. As it stands, the work is heady and clever and chock full of purpose and funny, but it lacks that intense guilt and longing and fecundity, all qualities intimately aligned with human beauty.

Edit: Thanks, Tom.

[ December 20, 2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Irami [Smile] .

And that reminds me...*sends email*

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
very nice, hopefully it won't be too many years before I'm in your shoes
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Chock full of purpose. [Wink] Chalk full of purpose is an interesting mental image, but probably not what you intend. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Chock: Old french for a log or a wedge, and that's where we get the sense that it's as close or as tight as possible.

Everyday I learn something, and I'll finish when I'm dead. Thanks again.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

*dying to read it*

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.