FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Political aspirations for a normal joe....

Author Topic: Political aspirations for a normal joe....
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my story; my career is in Human Resources Information Technology, which has nothing to do with politics. However, I’ve always had a yearning to pursue political affairs.

How does one get into politics?

I have no idea where to start, who to talk to, or what to get involved in. Any ideas?

Can someone who has no direct contact with political figures or political/law degrees become a successful civil servant?

What would be the preparation and steps to becoming a political figure to represent the people?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Start local.

Run for City Council, School Board, Township Trustee. Sit on a local zoning board or planning commision.

Start small and work up.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Know people with money. [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
Start local.

Run for City Council, School Board, Township Trustee. Sit on a local zoning board or planning commision.

Start small and work up.

msquared

All of that, and have no deep, dark, scandalous secrets.

Or if you do, now is the time to get rid of anyone that knows. [Wink]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to your local party headquarters to.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on your city, but generally, I think that there are two groups of issues. The most important group, and least spoken of, concerns figuring out how best you can serve, what you want to do and why.

The second group is mechanical. Talk to your local party. I imagine they are going to tell you "No," or "wait," unless you are connected or wealthy, then you are going to have to run anyway, gather signatures, and at the end, get more votes than the next guy. All of the stuff that falls under the second catagory won't make you worth a damn as a person or a politician-- and we all know worthless people and politicians-- unless you've thought hard on the questions concerning the first group.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind being more involved in the bureaucracy and governance part of things, consider applying for one of the many committee positions your city offers.

Also, avoid school board elections like the plague (unless you have particular familiarity with the politics of those in your area). They're frequently bloody.

Do, however, go to school board (and city council, and other) meetings. It'll be useful experience, plus, when you decide to run for one of them you can talk about having attended one of them for X years (or months, or whatever; so long as you go to at least half the ones in that period you should be fine) and use that to one up your opponent, who unless a sitting member almost certainly won't have been going at all.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.