FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any good Radiohead DVDs out there?

Author Topic: Any good Radiohead DVDs out there?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Radiohead have any concert type DVDS? And if so are they good(not good in concert, i know that, but whether the dvd is well made/produced)?

I know there are at least a few big fans here. Twinky, know anything good?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
There's the Live at Astoria DVD, available here, but it's from 1994, so there are only songs from "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends." But they've appeared live on television hundreds of times, many of which can be seen on Youtube at this point. The appearances on Jools Holland's show tend to be the best in my experience- they usually play three or four songs rather than just one, so you get more than whatever single they happened to be promoting at the time. The version of "Go To Sleep" they performed there in 2003 is absolutely incredible for Jonny Greenwood's extended noise guitar solo alone, featuring his custom-programmed, self-built effects system.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

hmmm...yeah, I was hoping there would be a more recent concert dvd than '94. Or even something like the Led Zeppelin 2 disc dvd set from a few years back. Where it's a whole bunch of different performances collected together. Those dvds were fantastic.

Cool link. I've been watching some other Radiohead stuff on youtube, which is what prompted me to start this thread.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Yeah, there isn't anything more recent that I know of, the documentary "Meeting People Is Easy" aside. There's some concert footage in the doc (and it's some great stuff from the OK Computer tour), but not as much as you might expect.

If you want some more recent shows, do a search on Youtube for the V Festival- it was actually shown on TV, unlike most of the other shows. There are killer performances of "Creep" and "The Bends," among others.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I got "The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of all Time" last Christmas and absolutely loved it's complete weirdness, but none of my friends liked it because it's mostly really boring and has very little "juicy" radiohead content. It was just a bunch of fan videos to radiohead songs, with a few weird interviews and a little bit of never-before-heard radiohead stuff.

Not sure if it's worth the price or not, but it's a must have for a radiohead junkie.

"Meeting People is Easy" is highly recommended.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
"Meeting People is Easy" has little-to-no concert footage, but is great nonetheless. Like, very great.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

okay...meeting people is easy has been ordered.

still looking for a concert dvd though... [Smile]

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
If only Radiohead had a concert DVD of when the played in Grant Park here in Chicago. That was the best concert I was ever at. Of course I was a bit delirous because I got to the park at 1am the night before the concert (started at 7pm) and sat in 95 degree weather all day, no sleep. But, man, that show...Words can't really describe the experience. Chicago skyline, Radiohead, blue lights, heaven. [Big Grin]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get into their OK Computer onward stuff as well as I could get into Pablo Honey and The Bends, but OK Computer did have some gold in there. I traded my soul to get the Iron Lung EP but I just don't think they are as accessible as they used to be. I mean 2+2=5 was the only song on "Hail To The Thief" that I like, and I didn't like ANYTHING from Kid A and Amnesiac.

But I have great respect for their efforts to experiment and try new things. A shout back to their old work would be nice once in awhile though.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Kid A is my favorite album of theirs. Followed extremely closely by OK Computer... [Smile]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"Meeting people is easy" was tedious. Hated it.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's looking more and more like a DVD of this year's Bonnaroo performance. Definitely looking forward to it. Oh, and LP7.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Kid A and OK Computer are tied for tops in my book, although The Bends is a very close, erm, second (third?). Both Amnesiac and HTTT had some great songs too, especially the former, but were more uneven than the brilliance from start to finish that are Kid A and OKC. Pablo Honey, I pull out occasionally for "Creep," "Lurgee," "You," and "Blow Out." I pretty much pretend the rest of the album never existed.

I'm crazy excited about LP7- the bootlegs from their live shows this past summer sound absolutely fantastic. "Arpeggi" and "Videotape" have the potential to be the most beautiful songs Radiohead have ever done.

Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there new news on LP7?

I like "Anyone Can Play Guitar" from Pablo Honey. Always thought it was a cool song.

Radiohead's still one of my favorite bands, although I'm not following them quite as closely as I used to. Don't go hunting for bootlegs and the like.

I would have to say "Cuttooth" is my favorite Radiohead song. Followed by "Fake Plastic Trees," "Paranoid Android," "India Rubber," uh... "Lift," "Motion Picture Soundtrack" (the bootleg version with Thom and the guitar), "Banana Co.," and a bunch of others, in no particular order.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite of the new tracks is "House of Cards".

'I don't wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your lover...'

The way he sings that breaks my heart, man.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.