FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can Dyslexia manifest with age?

Author Topic: Can Dyslexia manifest with age?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past year I've noticed myself transposing numbers more than normal. My rate of misdials, incorrect forms, and other mistakes seems to have increased.

My brother may have a mild form of Dyslexia, and his son has been diagnosed with it, which explains his poor reading skills. He's been going to the appropriate schools to overcome this difference for several years now.

It has not really effected my reading, or my thirst for more books to read. Yet numbers have become more of an annoyance.

Decades ago, when I was a child, I took several IQ type tests. My mother--a nurse--had several friends studying to be able to give IQ tests. They needed practice, so her kids became guinea pigs. Part of the test in those days was repeating long strings of numbers we had seen written down earlier. I did very well on those tests. Remarkably well the untrained practicioners said.

So when I keep writing account number 7284 instead of 7482 it makes me wonder. Is it growing dyslexia? Is it growing senility? Is it an optical problem? Is it my imagination? Is it a very boring topic?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think it could be inattention?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I used to be excellent with numbers but since my first pregnancy transpose them all the time. I think it's a lost brain cell issue. [Wink]

(I also am now very slow at mental math-- basic addition, multiplication, subtraction, division in my head goes awry quite frequenty. When I was in grade school I was the school mental math champ.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced a similar thing as I have gotten older. For me it is in typing and writing, mostly.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Part of the test in those days was repeating long strings of numbers we had seen written down earlier. I did very well on those tests.
My son has dyslexia. He did very well on those tests. Reading or Hearing the numbers orally, and he has a fantastic memory, was not affected by his dyslexia. His INPUT was just fine.

It was his OUTPUT that has severe processing issues. He could probably recite to you the whole string of numbers correctly, but would probably not be able to write them all down in the correct order properly, even though he "knows" them.

Reading and hearing things orally he was fine with. He just can't produce it back out properly. (I guess I just repeated myself there. sorry)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.