FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One of the best "Best of"s I've read in a long time

Author Topic: One of the best "Best of"s I've read in a long time
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
***Link contains some vulgar language, but it's totally worth it.

"confession of a driving "incident" yesterday. god help me."

I'm a craigslist maniac; I actually spend more time on it than I do on Hatrack, which is saying something. It's taken years, but my fingers no longer type "www.xanga.com" by default in the address bar; now it's "seattle.craigslist.org." What can I say, I'm a fascinated voyeur.

The Best Of section makes my day. The above Best Of is one of the best I've ever read.

Read it. Laugh. Cry.

Happy holidays!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally sympathize with that poster. I've only hit one mammal in all the time I've been driving, a possum, and the sound was the most hideous part of it. Like a water balloon bursting. Horrible.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit a seagull once. Well actually the guy in front of me hit it, and I proceeded to catch it on the rebound. I guess I landed the killing blow. I felt kinda bad for a while, but then I moved on with my life.

Once I was driving merrily along, and a dog came running out of nowhere, and smacked right into my driver's door. I was kind of confused. Did this count as me hitting the dog, or the dog hitting me? Well, he was well enough to run in zig zags into the alley. I followed, but in less than a minute he had straggled into a backyard. I peeked over the fence where the owners were doing backyardish activities, and recriminated them with a "your dog is running around on the street." They looked at me with an apparent lack of concern and said "ok, thanks for letting us know." I just sighed, and when I got home I gave my dog a big hug.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I had to run over a goose. It was squished into the road, all but its neck and head, which it was waving around.. So I had to put it out of its misery.
Which, I suppose, was nice of me, much as I hate the buggers.

It crunched too.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who swerved so as to avoid hitting a racoon.

He hit the median in the center of the road and totaled his brand new SUV. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in college, a friend of mine hit a squirrel.

Thing is, the squirrel was in a crosswalk.

A crosswalk.

And he hit him.

I think that's set back squirrel evolution a few generations.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It must have just been the area, because I ran over at least a couple of rabbits and a cat while I was in my teens, but nothing at all since then.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well we all have dark times in our teen years.

My Mother once hit TWO squirrels at once, with both front tires, then both back tires. Thing is, she actually tried to steer around them as they crossed the road, but she turned WITH their movement, and then ran them both over, with her 4 kids in the car. We didn't let her forget it for years.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least it wasn't a squirrel, and he wasn't driving a motor cycle. Cause then his story might have looked something more like this:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=040461;p=0&r=nfx#000001

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.