FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do people think the education system in this country is broken? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do people think the education system in this country is broken?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Of course, the best evidence that it can't be the orbit is the fact that the Northern and Southern Hemispheres have opposite seasons simultaneously.

<nod> That's the most obvious issue.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Er, how is our tilted axis "faulty"?

It results in Shabbos coming in way too early in the winter, and going out way too late in the summer. I call that faulty.

I hereby declare the creation of the Foundation for the Elimination of Axial Tilt.

FEAT will lobby to have enormous, slanted tubes built at the poles, and surplus nuclear weapons from the Cold War detonated in them in such a way as to fix the problem of axial tilt, and ensure that Shabbat begins and ends at a reasonable time all year 'round.

I could totally get behind that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my 7-year-old son this morning what causes the phases of the moon. He had a pretty good understanding of it. [Cool]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I asked my 7-year-old son this morning what causes the phases of the moon. He had a pretty good understanding of it. [Cool]

dang! I was going to ask my wife about seasons but it slipped my mind, Ill call now. Oh and Kudos on having a bright little bulb in your box Porter [Smile]

edit: Wife was not sure why, she speculated that it might be because the earth is closer in the summer and further in the winter but said she was just guessing and she really didn't know why.

Explained it to her and it all made sense to her as she didn't really have a strong grasp on any explanation.

rivka: Sorry perhaps faulty is not the right word but I did hear it used in school alot. Slanted axis, hows that?

[ December 27, 2006, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.