FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPod won't work - how do I make the disks play after one another?

Author Topic: iPod won't work - how do I make the disks play after one another?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Shiny black iPod for Christmas, but I can't get it to turn on. The instructions said it needed a USB 2.0 port, and I suspect that my used laptop does not have one.

However, it does have lots of other slots for things. Is there a good adaptor out there to create a USB 2.0 port?

[ March 28, 2007, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried charging it with the wall plug? I think iPods can connect to computers with just a USB port (using that same cable), but I don't think it can charge that way.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet for a USB 2.0 port for an older laptop is probably a PCMCIA card like this. I've got no feelings about that particular one; it was just the first that came up.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I froze my ipod cause i had it paused when i plugged it in to recharge and now i can't get it unpaused?
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfreezing an ipod
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
methodshop.com has a lot of good trouble-shooting info for iPods.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence, I got a black iPod for graduation [Smile]

If you have any USB connection at all the iPod should charge and sync, it would just be much slower over USB 1 (at least syncing). The one exception is if your USB ports are low-power ports (there's no easy way to tell, often; usually ports right on the computer are high-power ports and ports on keyboards and hubs are low-power, but those are just heuristics).

If you just want to get something to charge with, get this: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6154003/wo/rT5z5X9weBhP2gMA1lE2zeLmwXT/5.0.21.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3

(If that link doesn't work, search on the apple store for usb adapter, it should be the first result).

Apple's article on iPod charging issues: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60941

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] thanks it worked [Big Grin] [Hail]

[The Wave]
[Party]
[Hat]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, chances are it just has a dead battery. Firewire will charge the ipod via the computer, but USB will not. Of course, if you charged it prior to connecting it then disregard this post.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

JT: that's no longer true. The latest model of iPods (which she has) charge via USB. They don't even come with a firewire cable.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What a coincidence, I got a black iPod for graduation
You graduated? Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
JT: that's no longer true. The latest model of iPods (which she has) charge via USB. They don't even come with a firewire cable.

Really? Scratch that, then. I wonder how they did that? I was under the impression that USB didn't have the proper number of pins to charge anything that size (5 volts).

[edit] Yep, sure does. I found a pinout diagram of the latest gen.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Dagonee: Yeah, it feels remarkably anticlimactic. Of course, I didn't feel like going to my graduation ceremony, so that probably helps.

I'm working as a programmer (research programmer to a certain extent, its been decided I'll co-author a few papers in the near future to boost my cv) in the Cyberinfrastructure for Network Science Center on campus, mainly working on a piece of software called Network Workbench and its underlying framework, Cishell (including finding and translating various data into useful formats). A lot of my work will be implementing tools for creating a web services infrastructure with the application, up to and including as part of a computing grid. This is while I wait for my acceptance (*crosses fingers*) and then entrance into the PhD program here in Social and Organizational Informatics, though I'll probably continue to work part time.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't feel like going to my graduation ceremony, so that probably helps.
Me neither.

quote:
I'm working as a programmer (research programmer to a certain extent, its been decided I'll co-author a few papers in the near future to boost my cv) in the Cyberinfrastructure for Network Science Center on campus, mainly working on a piece of software called Network Workbench and its underlying framework, Cishell (including finding and translating various data into useful formats). A lot of my work will be implementing tools for creating a web services infrastructure with the application, up to and including as part of a computing grid. This is while I wait for my acceptance (*crosses fingers*) and then entrance into the PhD program here in Social and Organizational Informatics, though I'll probably continue to work part time.
Sounds like fun. [Smile] Congratulations, again.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

My aunt is haveing problems with audio books on her ipod. she dosn't like it when the ipod stops after the disk is done. then she has to go and select the next disk on the ipod so it will play the next disk of the book. Since she wants to listen to it in the car and dosn't want to be fumbleing around with the buttons while she's driving.

so how can i make it play the whole book instead of just one disk at a time?

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way I can think of would be to play by artist. I don't know how audiobook files list artists in the ID3 tags, but if she navigates to Music --> Artist --> (Artist Name) --> Play All, it should play all of the files sequentially. This will only work if the files were created with proper ID3 tags (which, if she used iTunes to import the files, should be the case).
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.