FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gendered writing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gendered writing?
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys came up with an algorithm that supposedly does a decent job of predicting gender based on writing samples. Check it out.

It did a bang-up job calling out my (academic) writing, though it should be noted that most of that is in the fields of business, econ, linguistics, and science. The only academic papers I ran through it that came up with false positives were sociology. Interesting stuff. Apparently "the" is a masculine word.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, based on the introduction to my dissertation proposal, I am male.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on a long post from here I am just barely female, but it was a relationship advice post, so that makes sense.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are all split pretty much evenly, whether it's fiction or blog entries.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Apparently, based on the introduction to my dissertation proposal, I am male.

Out of curiousity, what is your area of study? Some fields seem to exhibit distinct writing styles--perhaps there is a connection?
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe this is a stupid program.

Question the axioms!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a bunch of stuff through, including papers I've written for class, blog posts, Hatrack posts, and some old yearbook articles. Apparently, my writing style is male. This seems mostly to be based on my excessive use of the word "the." Also, the technical science paper writing style probably matches the "male" stereotype better. However, even my blog posts came out male. I had to dig out stuff from high school to get a female score. Even then, most of it registered male.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

That's because only men use the word the. Articles are so masculine.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I put through another post and came out male. It's not quite interesting enough to keep trying. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It got my gender correctly on my fictional writing, but I think that's because it skewed the results by using "as" and "the" as masculine words, which of course there were many of.

On my blog writing though, it guessed female. I don't find that surprising though.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Right every time.... [Eek!]
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Or maybe this is a stupid program.

Question the axioms!

Undoubtedly it is far from perfect. In fact, the site even indicates that it is using a simplified version of the algorithm. All the same, it is an interesting concept.

I put in excerpts from a few famous authors to see what might come up.

Dostoyevsky's The Idiot - Male
Crime and Punishment - Male

J.K. Rowling - Female

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Male
in translation by Edith Grossman - Female

Pushkin, Eugene Onegin (in translation) - Male

Orson Scott Card, Hatrack River - Female.

------

Ok, so the site doesn't really say much that's... useful. Just mildly interesting.

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Victor Hugo (in translation): Strongly male
Hamlet's soliloquy : Male, but barely.
Portia's speech: strongly male.

Ha, ha Mr. Shakespeare.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
My existentialism final is apparently male, but my blog entries are female. It kind of makes sense.

I wonder what sort of results would turn up with the unsimplified version of the algorithm.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Academic paper: male
Personal statement: male
Journal entry about relationships: female, by a hair
Journal entry about an event: male, barely

Possible conclusions:
1. The algorithm is faulty, being a better judge of so-called male and female topics rather than male and female writing.

2. Women are forced to mimic men's writing to be taken seriously an academic world.

3. My writing is more male than female.

My completely-unscientific vote is for 1 & 2.

Theory about the why "the" is a masculine word: It's definitive. Calling something "the" is placing it as first in its group. Not "a" genius of the twentieth century, but "THE" genius of the twentieth century. Women are often seen as more conciliatory, and hence the algorithm expects them to place more ambiguity in their speech to allow others wiggle room in the interpretations.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a few more things. My religious studies thesis was male, a work of fiction was female, and a relationship rant was female.

I'm going to have to throw my unscientific vote in with Katharina's.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
All of my academic papers are marked as male (religious studies courses). I don't think it's incredibly scientific either.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
The algorithm predicted I was male based on most of my short stories. I noticed a particularly wide margin between the male and female scores when I pasted in my first attempt at science fiction. Another short story I wrote which takes place in Nazi Germany and is interspersed with telegrams/letters in pseudo-official lingo also yielded a noticeable gap. Casual observation suggests the algorithm roughly equates 'personal, subjective' with female and 'third person, impersonal, objective' with male.

I'm definitely with katharina on her second point. The first point could be a consequence of the second.

Still, this is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it Fusiachi.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Euripides. It seems to take expressions of feelings to be more feminine than masculine, just by going by the scores I got.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, this is fun!

Parts from my last two academic papers (Shakespeare and Palahniuk/Plato) came back as male. So did my thesis proposal on Satan.

My blog entries were split. In one dealing mainly with my relationship, they came back as female. The ones about the rest of my life came back as male.

My fiction, the most interesting test for me, was also split. I was kind of excited that the first one came back male since it was written from the perspective of a male character. The second one though was also a male narrative but came back as female. (Oddly enough, the first piece dealt with a male homosexual affair and the second from a male relating his heterosexual interests)

A poem which recently won me some money came out with an exactly split score. The writer was of "unknown gender."

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Obviously your poem is a gender-transcending work [Smile] .

I can understand the loose linguistic thinking behind this test. Yes, I bet you there *are* statisical differences betwenn the word choices that men + women use. But what are they, how meaningful are they, and to what degree are they influenced by your close society? (I.e., is it an inherent feature of English that, say, women will say XXXOOOAM! more than guys, or is it an inherent feature of women living on the East coast.)

But I doubt that this test is based on anything serious and of lasting interest beyond that, of course, of random amusement in a boring world [Smile] .

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I put about half a dozen papers through it, and it has been 100% accurate for me.

Judging by the posts here, it seems to have a harder time picking up female writing. Then again, this seems to be a pretty simplistic algorithm, so it may just be that the sort of people who frequent hatrack write in a way that is harder for the program to detect.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
It was about 50-50 for me. It thought I was a man as often as it thought I was a woman in various kinds of writing. I also put a sample of male writing that came out female.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
It was very accurate for me when it looked at my academic writing and stories. But when I put in lj entries it read me as being definitely female.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My academic writing comes out overwhelmingly male, even the essay I wrote about a women in Judaism book. My lj is definitely female, and the one short story I submitted was just barely female.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
it's pretty positive I'm a woman
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is sure I am as well.

Too bad it is wrong.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is frustrating--I can get to the site, but when I click the "submit" (or whatever) button my work's firewall blocks is. Could someone do me a favor and enter in the text of the James Tiptree Jr. short story The Women Men Don't See? I'm curious to find out if this thing is any better at recognizing that she's a woman than Silverberg was.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

quote:

Too bad it is wrong.

Hmm, I do wonder what this means exactly, Kwea ;-).
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I tried it, and this is what I got.

quote:

Female Score: 13565
Male Score: 15357

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

So, male, but it was close.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting. Thanks kat!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My landmark says I am a female.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty funny that a piece of flash fiction that I, a woman, wrote--a parody of bad romance writing done in first person from a woman's POV--came out as male.

After coming out male so often on my journal entries I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just my neutral screenname that causes people on Hatrack to assume I'm male so often!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I copied in all three of my landmarks, one at a time, and each came up female. Then I put in two short stories by me, and they both came up female.

[Dont Know]

This is why I always get worked up about those "this is how men are and this is how women are" threads--because according to those generalizations, I am a woman.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Did you take that "brain gender" quiz from the BBC that I posted a year or two ago, Icarus? It'd be interesting to see how the results of that quiz correspond with the guesses made by this software.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Using the Ender's Game short story OSC is officially male, but it is actually close with that many words used.

Words: 15579

(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 17466
Male Score: 19335

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I think that this is the quiz I'm thinking of, but because my work's firewall is blocking it I can't be sure.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I've never seen that one before. That one also says I'm a woman. :-\ But I did take one that someone posted that had a bunch of random personality questions, and it's been teaching itself, kind of like the 20 Questions games online, and that one said I was male. Barely.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

Female Score: 438
Male Score: 183

It's an odd conundrum trying to figure this out... Pretty much anyone who has had influence on my writing style during my life has been female. I wonder if that has influenced the results any.

Incidentally, the above passage is also female.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. After using multiple examples I am decidedly female.

Glad that's been figured out.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I wonder if a panel of ordinary readers would fare any better.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
3/4 of the things I ran through came out male. Huh.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I think that this is the quiz I'm thinking of, but because my work's firewall is blocking it I can't be sure.

Ouch, I came off solidly female there, so it seems that the writing test was more accurate for me. I'm not sure how good of a test this was, though. I'm curious to know how well this test matched up for other people on hatrack.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are evenly split. My feature stories are all coming up female and my hard-news stories are coming up male.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness! threads dealing with gender and writing absolutely deserve to be linked to dingles [Evil]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on a large chunk of my New Product Development final, I'm a man, baby, yeah!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

It should be noted that "dingles", in fact, are gender-neutral.
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I tested both my blogs and my fiction writing. My fiction always came out as male by a decent margin (62% or above). My blogs are almost always male as well (with a few rare exceptions) but only by a slight bit (usually only 51% male or so).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a bunch of my fiction in, and I'm almost always male, with the occaisional female- a story about a pregnant girl, for instance, ha ha. Even my very oldest stories, all about girls and twins and things, are male.

In non-fiction (school essays), I'm male.

I think that using words like "said" to indicate maleness is pretty thoughtless, but then this whole concept is pretty thoughtless.

:/

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.