FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thank you George W...

Author Topic: Thank you George W...
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Making our National Day of Mourning for Gerald Ford on Tuesday instead of Wednesday was great. This means that, as a Federal employee, I now have a 4 day weekend.

Note that I do have quite a bit of conflict for enjoying my longer weekend at the expense of poor President Ford.

Am I a bad person? [Angst]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Its what he would have wanted...

Plus we get to watch a Hanging! Would it be tacky for W to attend it in person?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I've always wanted to watch a hanging.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I'm not going to watch it.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What the HELL?
How can you think watching a hanging is a good thing?
My ancesters were hung! I can't stand the thought of seeing such a thing!
I'm still traumatize from them showing this hostage that got hung when I was six years old!
Damn. Sickening.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect most people would have some level of curiosity about watching a person die at the hands of another, until they've actually seen it and realized what really happens.

I suppose with repetition it's possible to become numb to it, or somehow psych oneself into watching out of a feeling of "justice" or some such notion. I also suppose that there are those who are charged with being present on such occasions who would no doubt rather be somewhere else but go out of a sense of duty, or because of their calling.

But overall, I think the idea of state executions is repulsive, and the idea of viewing one makes me sad.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how much anyone deserves to die, and that's a debate in and of itself, death is never pretty, and the act of dying, especially by hanging, isn't something that'd be entertaining to watch for any reason.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I too feel conflicted about the day off. While still very much looking forward to it.

2. For a horrible moment, the hanging comments made me think there were details about the state funeral I was as yet unaware of.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Oh my gosh, horrible horrible mental image there.

You know, if I died and a million people got a day off, I'd want them to enjoy it.

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
That was sarcasm.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Yeah, but Sax's wasn't.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching a hanging used to be Sunday afternoon fun for the whole family.

Now we just watch the fake stuff in movies and on tv.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I suspect most people would have some level of curiosity about watching a person die at the hands of another, until they've actually seen it and realized what really happens.

I suppose with repetition it's possible to become numb to it, or somehow psych oneself into watching out of a feeling of "justice" or some such notion. I also suppose that there are those who are charged with being present on such occasions who would no doubt rather be somewhere else but go out of a sense of duty, or because of their calling.

But overall, I think the idea of state executions is repulsive, and the idea of viewing one makes me sad.

AMEN, Bob.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they had a Pay Per View of it, it is a slow night.

What a historical occasion, perhaps the last hanging of a world leader ever. I hope the occasion removes the sticking point in the heart of the Iraqi's telling them at last that it is over, he is never coming back.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sax, the legal system is not here for you to get your rocks off on. You've made me physically ill, thanks.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Ford, rest in peace.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.