FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Dungeon Mapping Software

Author Topic: Best Dungeon Mapping Software
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends gave me a D&D book for Christmas and I remembered an idea for a Dungeon I had years ago.

It is an out of control elven stronghold that delves another level annually and has done so for centuries until it has roots in the depths of the Earth. It finally hits a point where it cannot go down any further and so it pops out of the ground it was buried under into the light of day near some village.

There are lots of details running through my mind about its history and who is where and what is there, but I do not have the time and patience of my youth to map layer after layer in pencil on graph paper. Now I used to have TSR software that made neat Dungeons with the old rules, but I cannot find any from Wizards of the Coast. Is there any private software out there that is just for this, I saw software called CC-2 with an update for making Dungeons with a hundred dollar price tag. I do not need to be able to make authentic looking maps of Europe...

So what is out there to make good quality dungeons and fantasy maps with encounter locations and discriptions tied to it, and maybe a treasure generator and random monster list builder?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one, sadly. There are lots of bad ones, but no good ones.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Dunjinni software, anybody ever used it?

This seems like such a no brainier, Atari clearly has it to make games like Baldur's Gate and so on, do they feel like they are in competition with the pen and paper game and that they dare not make it easier to play?

I guess I will have to wade through the programing myself to do a half assed version and then sit on it since I will be stepping on all kinds of trademarks.

Does anybody remember and Atari game called Maze Craze? I wonder if that game had an algorithm maze generator or if it just had a couple hundred mazes pre made. I would think that a Dungeon could be randomly generated and stocked to a high degree, then allowed to play itself to some sort of steady state, that would be interesting to see...Hmmmm

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I found one a long time ago I loved..and it was free. But I can't seem to find it. I will search my old computer's hard drive to see if I can find it.

Until then, you might want to look at AutoRealm. Here are two other sites that have links to different editors, tho you probably already saw them in google:

RPG Gateway
and
Advanced D&D

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always build it in the Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset...

I've been messing with that as of late. I haven't played D&D in over two decades, but somehow I'm getting myself back in to it. It's funny how the development APIs get my attention more than the game itself.

I've already built several magic items, an outdoor area, working on an indoor area, new rune-based pseudo-crafting system... It's affecting my work productivity, damn it!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

How much do you have to put out to buy Neverwinter Nights and be able to use the tool set? I would hate to have to by Neverwinter Nights I, II and the toolset.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy NWN2 and that's it. Comes with the toolset, and with sufficient scouring of the 'net you can get all the other tools, resources and tutorials you need. And it doesn't require the original.

Doesn't sound like you need additional models or anything - the game comes with like three different varieties of elves - so you can probably do what you're looking for with nominal effort.

I've been able to create magic items galore with little effort. Also, although the toolset itself comes with a poor terrain editor, the toolset interface supports third party plug-ins written in .NET, and there are already like three or four people that have written terrain and map generators, better character and item creation systems, texture managers, etc...

Granted, the game has some glaring bugs in it, but at least they're slowly fixing them.

To get an idea:
http://nwvault.ign.com/

Look at what's been done with the original NWN. NWN2 has only been out like a month or two; give it time and it'll be big.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.