FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tech Advice Needed (Mayfly)

Author Topic: Tech Advice Needed (Mayfly)
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am going to show just how non-techno savvy I am. Most of you by now probably understand why. However, I probably know more about technology than anybody else around here so I have been asked to check some things out. But... I am stuck. I can't find any information that I need, perhaps because what I want doesn't even exist.

Here's the problem. Our community has several CD's on the market right now, mostly music that we have written and produced ourselves. Someone suggested that we could sell individual songs for download on the Internet. I was asked to find out if this was feasible, and if so, what would be a reasonable price for an mp3 of a single.

Now, none of us even owns an mp3 player and I came here before they were really very common. So we are all pretty clueless.

Once again, I ask for the help of my fellow Jatraqueros. Is it possible to sell individual songs in this way? How much would one pay to download a song? Any information or thoughts you can give would be very helpful to me.

Thanks,
Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
One typically pays $0.99 to download a song. There are many sites, the most famous (of course) being iTunes.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
that about covers it [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can sell songs that way. If you already have a CD, the easiest way I know of to make your songs available for download on an individual basis is to sell your CD through cdbaby.com, who will also take care of listing your albums with iTunes.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Thanks for the help! We also have our own website. Would it be possible to sell songs directly from there?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, depending on the type of site. There are quite a few programs for selling downloads (of any kind) using a payment system from Google or PayPal. The software can likely be had free, if your ISP can support it, and the payment programs will charge something like 33 cents for a 99 cents download. Google Checkout is cheaper - and free for a year.

I'm sure someone here knows more details. We'd have to know the capabilities of your current web site host.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Does anyone know how much it is to put a song or a CD on something like iTunes? Do you pay just to put it there, or do you pay per download? I've been over on iTunes trying to answer my own questions, but I'm so ignorant of this stuff that I don't even know where to start.
Thanks,
Kat

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not iTunes you go through, they only list music they get through a label.

CDBaby is a label that's not evil. They let you retain pretty much all the rights (except what they need in order to distribute your work as you direct).

Apparently they'll get you set up for $35: http://cdbaby.net/ . They then take a 9% cut of the profit, and you get the rest.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.