FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eid Mubarak!

Author Topic: Eid Mubarak!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is the traditional way of saying something along the lines of Happy Eid! Today is Eid al-Adha, one of the important Muslim holidays.

Eid al-Adha is ten days after the sighting of the new moon two lunar cycles after Eid ul-Fitr, the festival day marking the end of Ramadan.

From Wikipedia:
quote:
(Eid ul-Adha) is celebrated in honor of the prophet Abraham when he intended to sacrifice his son Ishmael as a proof of his loyalty to God. Eid ul-Adha is translated into English as "The Feast of Sacrifice", when Muslims all over the world present an animal (usually a cow) sacrifice as a gratitude action for God saving the Prophet Ismail's life. The slaughtered animal meat is divided into thirds, one for the person who is presenting the beast, one to be distributed to his poor relatives, and the last third for the needy, regardless of their religion, race, or nationality. As with Eid ul-Fitr, there is an early morning prayer for the Eid, and celebrations are extended for Four days.
Well, I haven't been subjected to the slaughtering of any animals, but I have heard that it's a pretty big - and smelly celebration - in some parts. [Smile]

This morning, Fahim and his dad went to mosque, wearing new clothes, since wearing new clothes is a tradition for Eid. While they were gone, Fahim's mom and I cooked breakfast. String hoppers, fish curry, pol sambol, and, um, a syrop I don't remember the name of that's make from coconut milk and jaggery.

For lunch, Fahim's brother & his wife, and his wife's parents, will be coming over. Then it's general lounging about, chatting about everything, and that sort of thing for the remainder of the day.

I'm wearing a royal blue shalwaar kameez with embroidered royal blue & aqua starfish all over it. [Smile] We bought the kit in Dubai.

[ December 31, 2006, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear about this. I didn't know about this second Eid festival, and was unsure why my local Y was including "Happy Eid" on their billboard.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
quid -- Isn't it "Eid Mubarak" ? In any case, have a great Eid [Smile]
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Urm... Maybe? Oh ****! I'm changing the thread title!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations celebration!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that explanation of the holiday, Quid. I enjoyed learning about it. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
So - maybe I'm just mis-remembering, but wasn't Isaac the son that Abraham was to sacrifice? Was he also commanded to sacrafice Ishmael, or is this one of the important dividing points between Islamic faith from Judeo-Christian?
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
*whisper* You're not supposed to ask that. Shhhhhh.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I asked Fahim about it, and his comment is that, according to Islamic belief, Ishmael is the one that was supposed to be sacrificed, not Isaac. The two brothers are the fathers of two religious lines - Isaac for Judaism, Ishmael for Islam. You can read [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Similarities_between_the_Bible_and_the_Qur%27an#Abraham_and_the_sacrifice]more about it[/url].

(Posting problems. A space is automatically being added after the [url= bit, so it doesn't matter how many times I try to edit this post, the space is still there, and I can't remove the thing. [Mad] Sorry.)

[ January 01, 2007, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
??? ????
????? ????
????? ?? ??? ??? ???
????? ???? ???

In the name of Allah
And Allah is the greatest
O Allah, indeed this is from you and for you
O Allah accept from me

Eid falls thrice this year, Jan. 10, Jan 11, and Dec 30.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, people who don't read Arabic shouldn't try to post in it.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.