FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most Expensive Medieval Dessert?

Author Topic: Most Expensive Medieval Dessert?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Later medieval, anyway, after the spice road became established.

I have a batch of saffron ice cream in my ice cream freezer right now.

1 gr. Iranian saffron
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 1/3 c. heavy cream
2 1/2 c. whole milk

Gently heat the milk with the saffron. Watch it carefully - do not burn it! Try to avoid getting a film on top of the milk. When it is a rich golden colour, remove it from heat and put it in the fridge or freezer to chill.**

Meanwhile, beat the sugar into the cream until it is just mixed. Beat it too much and you'll end up with some very sweet whipped cream, which I don't believe gives the right ice cream texture.

Prepare your ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. When the saffron milk is chilled, pour the milk and the cream into it, and freeze!

Mmmmmmmmmm. [Big Grin]

**You could strain the saffron out if you'd like, but I really liked the result of leaving it in. Plus, leaving it in while the milk chills allows it to infuse even more.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*soooo jealous*

I want some when I get back to TO.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wild about Saffron. Saffron's wild about me...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute--Tante, do you post on other boards as "Mellow Yellow"?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be interesting...

EL, how'd it taste? Your ice cream sounds interesting. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Wait a minute--Tante, do you post on other boards as "Mellow Yellow"?

No. They don't actually call me Mellow Yellow.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I enjoyed it a lot, and so did the large Indian-Canadian party I took it to. So I'll say it turned out pretty well. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.