FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's a Wonderful Life

Author Topic: It's a Wonderful Life
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past few weeks I have been watching lots of Christmas movies, all with varying degrees of cheese. And I got to thinking . . . why is it that none of these movies, while all very heartwarming in a warm fuzzy sort of way, pack the same kind of emotional punch as It's a Wonderful Life? I watch that movie several times a year, can quote large portions of it, and it has yet to lose its power. No other Christmas movie makes it past the warm and fuzzy stage.

My conclusion?

The other movies all seem to be about beleiving in something. Having faith in something. That if you believe something hard enough, anything can happen. (Can anyone else hear little Natalie Wood muttering to herself in their head right now? "I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." Just before she sees the House.)

It's a Wonderful Life, on the other hand, tells the truth. It says people do bad things sometimes, and they don't always get caught. It says that dreams don't come true, and it doesn't matter how hard you want it, or work for it, or believe in it. But you know what? Once you get over it and start appreciating the things that you do have, life really can be wonderful.

And that message just strikes a little closer to home for me.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once you get over it and start appreciating the things that you do have, life really can be wonderful.
As long as everyone in town is willing to give you a few bucks, that is. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom misses the point of the movie =)

I hadn't watched IAWL in years and I saw the last hour or so of it over christmas and it got me all teary just like it always does...

Of course, I like the SNL ending better where they show up at Potters place and beat the crap out of him. "Hey! You can walk!"

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I never totally like that movie.
I don't understand why they couldn't have told him more often that they love him and that their lives wouldn't be good without him.
Poor guy having to give up his hearing, going aboard, going to college just to help these people live better lives and they can't thank him until he was almost ready to end it.
Also that uncle made me mad, leaving that money there like that.

Also, I don't want to know that no matter how hard I work my dreams won't come true. I want my dreams to come true so badly.
But what I get from the movie is if someone is the pillar of community you got to show your apprieciate for them so they don't get depressed.
But, the problem is if they don't get depressed and want to end it all then an angel doesn't get its wings and that would be rather sad.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but it's a bit heavy to watch so ofen.

It's not just IAWL, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and really any of those old movies (maybe even specifically Stewart movies) are like that. They're originals. Everything that came after was a watered down version of what already came, so we flock to a full strength original.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington hits on a similar level for me too, Lyrhawn. Not as powerfully as It's a Wonderful Life, but on the same level and quite powerful in and of itself. I think perhaps it's because (those two films, at least, I haven't seen enough of Stewart's films to judge) they mingle idealism with cynicism, and idealism wins out...even though it's a painful, gut-wrenching victory.

Good triumphs over evil has been a prime inhabitant in human folklore and legend and story probably ever since we started telling stories, and with those two films the story is not mythic or legendary or historical but quite real and plausible.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mr Smith Goes to Washington and IAWL... That is probably because Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors (the other being Dustin Hoffman... in some of his better movies, like The Graduate).
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom makes an interesting point, but I don't think that's the end of it. Sure, the ending is happy, and everybody in town is willing to donate a few bucks, they get the 8 grand or whatever it was. Nobody goes to jail, he realizes that life ain't so bad. It sounds like a cop out, doesn't it?

Maybe a little bit, but I think we're forgetting another scene in the movie: after the whole experience he's ready to face the consequences. He knows he's going to jail, and yet he's rejuvenated and feels like it IS a wonderful life. The part that happens right after that was swell and all, but I think the main point of that movie was the scene in which he still thinks he's going to jail, but realizes he loves life all the same.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It says that dreams don't come true, and it doesn't matter how hard you want it, or work for it, or believe in it.
I don't agree with this summary. Bailey doesn't really work for his dreams. He consistantly trades them for different dreams, but is unable to realize that the reason he trades is because those are the dreams that he truly values and that make his life meaningful. In the end, he discovers what really matters to him and stops beating himself up not living the life he thought he wanted. Instead, he loves the life he chose.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I see a Frank Capra movie, I always feel like I'm being manipulated. And sucker that I am, I fall for it every time.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted, I think, that the most moving part of It's a Wonderful Life is NOT the part where they all give Jimmy Stuart money. Rather, it is the part before that, where he still appears to be in serious trouble, but has suddenly realized that his life is wonderful anyway. The coming together of everyone in town makes for a nice neat ending, but the point of the film would still be intact even if Jimmy Stuart's character had gone to jail. The point is that, despite all these troubles, life is worth it all if you step back and look at all the lives you have impacted positively.

I think the movie is powerful because this is something everyone can relate to in a very direct way. Everyone faces troubles in some way or another - and It's a Wonderful Life reminds us to stop and look at what really matters, the people we have helped and the good things we have done with out time, so we can see just how wonderful our own lives are. It is not about miracles. It is about perspective.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
It should be noted, I think, that the most moving part of It's a Wonderful Life is NOT the part where they all give Jimmy Stuart money. Rather, it is the part before that, where he still appears to be in serious trouble, but has suddenly realized that his life is wonderful anyway.

Or, what aragorn said? [Wink]

I love that the cops are named Bert and Ernie.

It's a wonderful film. Another all-time favorite, on a different level, is The Philadelphia Story. No "message," just a great movie with great actors.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that Sesame Street named the muppets after the IAWL Bert and Ernie, but I've never found any proof of it.

Well said, Rakeesh.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother is married to a man named Bert, and her sister is married to a man named Ernie. The little kids just think this is a riot when they get together for family events.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the main point of that movie was the scene in which he still thinks he's going to jail, but realizes he loves life all the same.
Sure. And a courageous movie would have ended that way. The end of the film undercuts its own argument.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Not particularly. The movie ends in a truthful way, Tom. It would've been dishonest for it to've ended otherwise, because it's quite natural once Bailey's neighbors learned what'd happened they'd try to help, and given the number of true neighbors Will Bailey had, quite likely they would succeed.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, it made a great theme for a surprise party for my friend's 50th bday. We did a skit titled "It's an Andrea Life" based on actual events from her life. She'd wanted to visit Alaska, the only U.S. state she hadn't visited yet, for her 50th birthday. But funds were low and it wasn't looking good. So we started out the skit with her sister playing Andrea on the verge of jumping off a bridge because she wasn't able to realize her dreams of going to Alaska that year, and also because her friends had planned some really lame bday activity instead of a great 50th celebration. Of course Clarence intervened, and we had some funny stuff to put in the "life review" scenes, and then we concluded with everyone coming up and dropping dollar bills all over her and the telegram being read announcing her all-expenses paid trip to Alaska in a couple of months.

It was extremely fun! [Wink]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.