FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to the 'rack, Scott--DFW

Author Topic: Welcome to the 'rack, Scott--DFW
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Because you deserve your own thread. Glad you found your way over here -- many of us were quite deeply impressed by your journalism referenced in the World's most expensive chocolate: exposed! (and we aren't generally an easy crowd to impress), so it is a delight to have you visit.

If you decide to stay, you'll find that this site has a whole mess of different types of people who write and argue about a whole mess of different topics.

[Details omitted, as such lists are never sufficient.]

It's a fun, eclectic bunch with a lot to say. A lot of us know each other outside the forum, and we generally try to cultivate an air of mutual respect and consideration. Nice place. Hope you come back. [Smile]

[ January 03, 2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't remember ever having had a thread about the size of potholes.

But I'll second everything else CT said. Welcome to Hatrack! And of course, if somebody just sent you a link to the discussion of your article and you aren't interested in the community outside the context of that one thread, that's okay too.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

I seem to remember a discussion about this, but perhaps it was elsewhere. (Ahhh -- maybe during the posting of the crane going through the overpass at Mike's place? No matter.) Regardless, it could happen. [Smile]

quote:
But I'll second everything else CT said. Welcome to Hatrack! And of course, if somebody just sent you a link to the discussion of your article and you aren't interested in the community outside the context of that one thread, that's okay too.

Of course.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot a sizable contingent of engineers of various disciplines and sizes, along with a whole passel of bored and lazy college students [Wink] .
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Forget? Nevah!

They are so fundamental as to be assumed, rather like the angular momentum principle.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And parents who don't do any work other than raising a family. But I figure the "etc." covers it pretty well. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(kq, I honestly was including those people in the "parents who work at home" category. Seriously, paid and nonpaid work isn't a big distinction for me. But, again, worth noting [if it isn't clear].

And I'll stop now with the every-other-post thing.)

---

Edited to add: *grin

Now I remembered why I don't make these lists anymore.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Now I remembered why I don't make these lists anymore.

There is something deep there.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

My tense confusion, doubtlessly.

---

Edited to add: A list intended to show some variety in a range will usually not be exhaustive, or even necessarily reference the common, especially if the intent is to give a taste of the divergence. Nonethess, it is almost impossible not to feel excluded when one (or one's category) is not mentioned, regardless of the reason.

So, there is the intent to tantalize with a taste of possibilities (not to unfold all forth the many riches, but rather to dangle a few nuggets). And there is the intent to avoid feelings of exclusion. I do believe the former must yield to the latter in this case.

Alas! Scott-DFW may never coem to know what he missed. (Although "pothole" must figure prominantly in anyone's mind who is reading this thread. Perhaps that is sufficient bait. *grin)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, for sure. But I do think it could be a cause for some rather mixed feelings, you know? Better to let it lie [quiet].

Aside from the potholes, of course. *nods sagely

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Potholes aren't really a problem in my town. It's shoddy craftsmanship when the potholes are patched that causes rough driving.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

I seem to remember a discussion about this, but perhaps it was elsewhere. (Ahhh -- maybe during the posting of the crane going through the overpass at Mike's place? No matter.) Regardless, it could happen. [Smile]

And of course, it's always possible that I missed a thread at some point. [Wink]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's shoddy craftsmanship when the potholes are patched that causes rough driving.
You know it's actually much harder to do a good patch on a pothole than one would think.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's even harder to do a good patch on a pothole when the original road was done in a shoddy manner, such as is here. I could show you pictures of some of the potholes on a road by our house, but if I did, methinks it would scare everyone off from visiting ever. [Smile] The road is just one long pothole after another. Better than a rollercoaster. [Frown]

Welcome, Scott. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.