FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House

Author Topic: House
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working away today when I had a stray thought about the Vicadin addicted Doctor that stars in the show "House" It occurred to me that the last hero I remembered with a drug addiction who was such a high functional was Sherlock Holmes, then it occurred to me House...Holmes oh no no no... the lack of personal skills, the uncanny brilliance at solving based on small clues. A knock off, but that is the problem with detective stories, if you watch Monk you have seen old plots from Colombo, and others those shows ran forever, Murder she Wrote, on and on so it in no wonder they have to rehash them, but to base your character on Holmes and call him House, that is calling us blind stupid and daring us to notice. I feel insulted. Still enjoy the show though.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty much obvious. Are you being sarcastic? It's not like they hid it or anything. I mean, I didn't think of it until just now when you said it, but there's no reason to feel insulted.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you're just getting that now? [Wink]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Gen Sax,
There was a thread about it, but it might not have been here.
If you go on the House site, it will discuss how the show is based on Holmes.
I do not think it is necessarily obvious, either.

They even discuss Holmes=Homes=House

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And there's House's home address. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
And Holmes' only friend is Watson...and House's only friend is Wilson.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And the idea for Holmes was sparked in part by a doctor the Arthur Conan Doyle (also a physician) trained under... And there's even been series of mysteries based on the young Arthur Conan Doyle and his mentor solving mysteries, medical and otherwise...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
They have a section on this on the wikipedia entry for Gregory House.

"that is calling us blind stupid and daring us to notice"

[Big Grin] Yes, they're daring us to notice and calling us blind stupid, they're definitely not intentionally trying to make a tribute to Holmes for us to pick up on and enjoy.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but on the show's actual official page, it talks about the intentional connection. So, yes, actually, they are. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] I can't tell if you're making a joke on my sarcasm or if you thought I was being serious. [Razz]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought you were being serious! Apologies; my sarcasmo-meter is broken today. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron and Chase just got engaged in real life! How cute!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. The more I watch it, the more I feel the similarities to Holmes are superficial. Holmes had some honest feelings of friendship for at least one person.

In fact, the more I watch the show, the more convinced I become that the only thing that lurks behind that callous, rude and abrasive demeanor is a highly successful sociopath, whose success is only threatened by his current drug abuse (last episode seemed to have clearly pushed him over the line in that category).

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holmes had some honest feelings of friendship for at least one person.

And when he felt that Watson had "left" him (got married, which he saw as a betrayal) he was very cool toward him for a time and Watson had to win his "affection" back. From the start he was abusive even toward his "friend". It wasn't until he got cleaned up (with Watson's help) AND had a "near-death experience" that he ever actually came close to expressing in words his friendship and feelings for Watson.

Also, House was married once, he really meant that. Until she "betrayed" him. And Holmes thought all women but one were beneath his notice-- just like House.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to watch for more Holmes connections now that it occured to me that they may be hiding them. One is the hostile cop that gets outdone.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, House the show. You got my hopes up for a thread on House music. [Wink]
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
\
Also, House was married once, he really meant that. Until she "betrayed" him. And Holmes thought all women but one were beneath his notice-- just like House.

House and Stacy weren't married, she was just his live-in girlfriend.

Personally, I think we're given pretty good evidence that he was always the way he is when we see him, it's not a response to Stacy leaving him. I also disagree that House sees all women as beneath his notice. I think he's still in love with Stacy, so he's not romantically interested in them; but that he certainly appreciates Cameron and Cuddy as intelligent people.

I hope I'm not tilting at windmills with this post, I've never read any Holmes, I'm just obsessed with House.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he also appreciates Cameron's newly found seriously butt-kicking set o' balls. And don't anyone dare take that out of context.

And yes, he's still in love with Stacey, who gave him a serious run for his money. I loved watching them interact. While House isn't in love with Cuddy, he certainly does respect her as much as he's able to respect people.

I found it interesting that when that little ol' lady told House he was being in appropriate (or something along those lines when House was coming down on Wilson in front of the just-dead guy and his new widow) that he apologized and left. Just like that. Somewhere in there, there's a decent human being.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Gen Sax,
There was a thread about it, but it might not have been here.
If you go on the House site, it will discuss how the show is based on Holmes.
I do not think it is necessarily obvious, either.

They even discuss Holmes=Homes=House

I brought this up on the House thread over on sakeriver. I too thought I was very clever for picking up on it on my own until I brought it up and found out that there were a lot more connections which I hadn't even seen yet. [Smile]

Here's what I said back then:
quote:
Beverly and I saw one episode on TV, which was enough to get us to start netflixing it. We've seen one disc worth plus one episode. With those credentials, let me say:

House, in many ways, is a remake of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

They both solve mysteries through a combination of an encylopedic memory, acute perception of detail, and an impressive knowledge of the human psyche.

They both were horrible, horrible people to be around. Brilliant, yes. But lonely (of their own making), rude, arrogant, condescending, and petty.

They're both the "best of the best" who solve the cases that normal investigators failed to.

They both have drug problems.

Holmes had Dr. Watson to help out and be in awe at his genius. House has four of them.

All in all, I'd say there are three main departures:
1. Instead of criminal mysteries, we now have medical mysteries. At first glance, this seems like a major difference. But really, it's not. The structure of House episodes is a pretty standard mystery-show format, with the guilty culprit being discovered at the end of the show.
2. House is a cripple (his word). This is a cheap tactic to get us to have some sympathy with the protagonist, but it's probably needed. When I finally read some Doyle, I was dumbfounded at how unlikable Holmes is.
3. House has a boss that can kick his butt. This is a good change, IMO.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hooked on House ever since I started watching it last May. I've never seen the back episodes, though.

I've also never read any Holmes mysteries (something I have been meaning to remedy), so I never clued in (no pun intended) that that was the inspiration.

However--was anyone else as irritated by the ending of last night's episode as I was, or did you all see it coming? It just seemed like a cheap plot device to me, and makes me on the verge of tired with the whole story.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they completely conclude the case? I watched it, but then a couple of hours later when I was getting ready for bed I realized that I either wasn't paying attention at the end, they zipped through the wrap-up stuff really quickly, or they aren't completely done with the patient.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who gets annoyed at how condencending House's staff is towards him?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Condescending? I guess House's condescension toward others bothers me, not the other way around. However, if you mean enabling then yes, that is tough to watch. I mean, friendship is one thing, but really, Wilson should've let House take the rap for forging his prescriptions from the start. And don't get me started on how baffled I am by Cuddy's action on last night's show!

But I guess Wilson and Cuddy aren't his staff, so that's probably not what you're talking about. So what are some examples of his staff being condescending towards him that you don't like? Cameron does baby him a lot.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like last night's episode very much. The legal bit seemed like an overly easy out (Oh no! He's going to jail! Except the judge just sort of tossed out the case because he wasn't one of the worse offenders.) I think what bothers me is that they made a huge deal of it, as if there was almost no chance for House to escape prison, even though we all were pretty sure that next season was never going to be House, Inmate. And then, whoops! The judge dismisses the case because she feels like it.

Oh, and the electric shock thing was ridiculous too. I really doubt that electric shock therapy normally induces such profound, permanent memory loss. Nor do I think that erasing the guy's memories, essentially killing the person he was, was an ethical solution. Then again, I have huge issues with the ethical decisions the doctors make much of the time.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Am I the only one who gets annoyed at how condencending House's staff is towards him?

Not at all. Given the way he acts and the way he treats them, it's purely a defense mechanism.

He's basically ruined them for working with anyone else, though.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What I liked about last night's episode is that the whole stupid ordeal with the detective is over. That was really starting to kill the show for me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Jon Boy. I really like the actor who played the detective but I hated that whole storyline.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It was amusing when House got arrested during the first episode of the arc. He deserved that. But I think this got dragged on for far too long.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know House is a jerk but they are always nagging him about being more social and looking down on him because he's handicapped and it drives me completely up a tree. House does tend to get on my nerves with his arrogant Houseness but he's true to himself. I got to respect that. Folks keep ragging him about every detail.
Perhaps he needs that, but it still annoys me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
House is a brat. A genius, and a funny brat, but still a brat. No one looks down on him for being handicapped. That's ridiculous.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I get what Syn is saying. It feels like every episode someone tells House why he is the way he is. It wasn't too bad at the beginning, but they're running out of original reasons and it's getting old. It seems sort of presumptive to me, too, not towards House, but on their own part. Like they're brilliant enough to dissect the human psyche.

Every once in a while I just want to shake all the characters and point out that any of them could stop dealing with House at any time if they wanted to.

Of course, one of the reasons I feel very mehish about this season is that I think they went from making House a sympathetic jerk to just a jerk.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
House is a brat. A genius, and a funny brat, but still a brat. No one looks down on him for being handicapped. That's ridiculous.

They totally do, Like that episode when Cuddy made House stop taking Vicodin. The poor man was a wreck when it came to pain and they were all so condescending towards him. They have no idea what it's like for him to have to go through that all the time.
It drives me completely crazy.
And they keep trying to analyze him. I know when people analyze me it drives me completely up a tree, especially if they get it wrong.
But, he can be a brat and a jerk often. He's still cool for some reason.

jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, finally an episode to make me forget that horrid Tritter arc.

Favorite moments:
Wilson is House's conscience!
Cuddy is an endocrinologist!
PotW/House banter
Cameron/Chase (hee!)
The transsexual nurse

That tapeworm seriously made me go EEWWW!

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It was good.
Cuddy needs to run off with House, like now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She doesn't want to live with him, she just wants his love child. [Razz]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I loved that they made House ambiguous again. Throughout the Tritter episode he was just morally bad. But telling his team they could take the nerve from where ever and then cursing Wilson? That was the House I like watching.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I agree; the nerve biopsy interaction w/ Wilson was classic.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a good episode, I really enjoyed the guy who left for very insightful reasons the booty call with Cuddy.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
I agree; the nerve biopsy interaction w/ Wilson was classic.
Of course, this scene involved Wilson analyzing House's motives - with precision accuracy, in this case, since House more or less admitted he was thinking about some kind of graft of her spinal cells to his leg.

Unlike others who are bothered by the ways others critique house and suggest ulterior motives, I figure this is a game he started - and tends to be better at than the people around him.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers from last night's episode*

Hey, does anyone know if it's actually possible to survive with only half of your brain? Usually the procedures they do in this show seem completely believable, but for some reason I found this one a little crazy sounding.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yep, it is. I read about some of these cases lots and lots of years ago.

This wikipedia entry seems pretty much in line with what I remember on the subject.

What's interesting is that they didn't discuss a more common approach to the issue - severing the connection between the two hemispheres.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, it is. Usually it has only been done in children, but it is. The one thing is that unless they bolt his head into shape with some kind of prop, it will collapse and be lopsided, I think. They didn't show or talk about that part. [Smile]

I'm not sure the kind of learning that would happen after losing half your brain would happen as well, if at all, in an adult, but it wasn't so far-fetched as to throw me out of the episode.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its not Lupus!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
General Sax:
I think a great idea for a TV detective show is to have a ethnicly diverse gangster-type crack-head detective and call it Homie. He would have a lack of personal skills and the uncanny brilliance at solving CRIME based on small clues. Would tnat be insulting, too?

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, cool! [Smile] Thanks!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060703fa_fact
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was so impressed with Dave Matthews in this last episode? What did you guys think?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He was good in it.
I didn't know he was such a good actor.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, does anyone know if it's actually possible to survive with only half of your brain?
My next door neighbor had this same type of operation ... they removed half his brain. He was a child, though, as KQ said. He had the same type of issues with seizures as the guy in the episode. The seizures caused him to be severely developmentally delayed. He could barely say two words at 4 years old.

The thing is, that part of his brain was effectively dead anyway, and his body had compensated already by making new pathways in the brain to control those parts that should've been controlled by the damaged part of his brain. So when he had the surgery, the skills that he should've lost and had to take years to re-learn were never really lost, because he'd already been compensating for that half of the brain for years. With the seizures gone, the improvements he's made in speech and development are astronomical. He's now in my son's Cub Scout troop. Still delayed, but a huge change over what he was.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.