FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grease: You're the One That I Want!

Author Topic: Grease: You're the One That I Want!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo boy.

The "I write Harry Potter jokes!" lady...obvious prank/plant, or genuine hopeful?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Just another person who will do anything to get on TV. It worked.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
This struck me as a eminently unviable show, but I've been wrong many times before. I just don't think there's enough of an audience.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck are y'all talking about?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I was wondering.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They did it in England for a revival of the Sound of Music, and the star chosen through the show opened to tremendously good reviews. The critics liked her in spite of every intention of not. That's very promising.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Prime time television. [Angst]
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

There's a new reality American Idol-ish show about people trying to get the leads in a new production of Grease. I don't think there's enough 13 year old girls out there watching tv at that time for it to work.

edit: The Sound of Music is The Sound of Music and Grease is Grease. The concept isn't that bad, but I think the show is going to doom it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying you have to be 13 to like Grease or to like a reality TV show based on grease?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yes, and I was completely serious when I said it too.
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds dumb to me, but reality TV has a way of finding an audience no matter how dumb the premise. I will probably monitor its success with mild interest.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like the show lol and my 14 year old sister LOVES it. we've all been singing Grease tunes since we saw the last half of it last night... I wanted the phamacutical (sp?) lady to get in : (
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it last night, just to see what types of people would audition. No one I saw was that impressive, but it wasn't terrible (other than the harry potter jokes, training parrots lady). The judges might not be "mean" enough to get the kind of ratings American Idol does.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that you don't have to have your Equity card to be on the show, and that the show is an Equity show, this would be a great opportunity for aspiring actors to get the points they need for their union cards. Since most of the best productions are done by Equity and you can get healthcare through the Union, it could be a great jumpstart to a career.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick: so you mean both?

I'm not interested in the reality show, but I like the musical.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Andi, though I don't know much about Equity cards, it was pretty obvious that at least a few of the people on the show had never acted or sang before at a professional level.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Possibly so, I didn't watch. However, the only way for this show to be worth it for NBC is if the Broadway production that the winners star in is successful. Tickets to Broadway shows are such that many people won't go if they don't get good reviews. Not when they have other options that are good shows. The premise of the show (as I understand it) is to choose the two best actors of the group to lead in a Broadway production of Greese. Assuming this to be true, those who stink won't win. The winners (who should be at least decent) get an opportunity to start a new career.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to call the show Greasy Idol since saying G:ytotiw is too much of a mouthful.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Grease. I do not like that musical.
It annoys me for some reason.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
It annoys me too. The moral of the story: Give up your ideals and standards for the guy you're dating.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Funny, I thought it was that love requires compromise. Remember, he was willing to change to what she wanted too.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's not my favorite but I do like Grease mainly because it was the first musical I knew people in, and I liked the charecters (more than Cats or Jesus Christ Superstar).
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
It annoys me too. The moral of the story: Give up your ideals and standards for the guy you're dating.

EXACTLY! She had to wear a push up bra and act so...

But, she was rather assertive.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.