FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A new poster's concerns about participation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A new poster's concerns about participation
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay Storm, I'd misunderstood. I agree that there are people here who, when arguing, only listen to the other side to hone their own argument, without honestly considering the other person's points. I certainly don't think that everyone here is that way, though. I can say that one of the positive things that Hatrack has given me over the years is a deeper ability to see the other side, and to see those on the other side as people rather than caricatures.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's good. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Seems a bit of a shame if OSC only reads what is about him.
I myself have enjoyed the times he's wandered over here and participated, but I don't think less of anybody for deciding that their time is better spent elsewhere, even those whom I miss very much.
When he was in Provo, UT just weeks ago at the book signing I mentioned that we miss him on this end of the forums. He graciously explained that he can't spend so much time covering all the forums. Instead he chooses to focus mostly on the Mr. Card side so that he can answer questions people might have about him personally and his work.

Seemed like a perfectly valid explanation.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I tend to view online debates as at least as much about the audience reading the debate as about the people debating. The person you are debating is unlikely to change his mind, but the people reading it are sometimes a different story.

I have to agree with this. While the people most likely to debate an issue are likely those with strong opinions on the subject, in any controversial issue there are going to be a lot of people who are on the fence. While the people with strong preconceived ideas are hard to move, undecided people are much easier to sway with well reasoned arguments.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Here, have some ducks

That is awesome. The music especially. And that last one gets extra points for sticking the landing! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy, I disagree with you on this. I have had some very interesting debates and conversations here on Hatrack, and several of my opinions have changed over the years because of them.

Just not overnight.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bet you'll change your tune tomorrow.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Google "Westside Story" for the weeesssstttsssiiiddeee reference.

And welcome.

Civility is as civility does.

Tom's correct -- for heated argument, head on over to Ornery.

*shrug*

Or not. You'll find folks that'll play, here, too -- just not for as long, or as in depth.

*smile*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Although, the debates have come and gone, but everyone remembers a few times when civility totally fell apart or when a particularly caustic troll waded in for a while. You've gotta admit we're all attracted to such "incidents" like flies to honey, the way they get hashed and rehashed afterwards. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.