FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PotC 3 publicity pics...

Author Topic: PotC 3 publicity pics...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
AICN link, so avoid scrolling any lower than you have to.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, you really are the source for all my entertainment news. I know that if anything interesting happens in the entertainment world, I can always count on you to post it on Hatrack. I think you're awesome.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah... Barbosa's back? I haven't seen the second one yet, but didn't he die or something?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to spoil the movie for ricree [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding.

Dramatic as all hell pictures, jeez. Not sure I like Elizabeth's new Chinese get up. It looks like one of the scenes from those save the world sci fi movies before Bruce Willis or whoever goes up in the spaceship.

I'm excited about it, but the whole Chinese thing is going to be a weird departure.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I suppose you have to change things up or else it will get stale. Like I said, I've only seen the first so far, but I've heard a lot of good things about the second. So until otherwise, I'll remain optimistic about the third.

As an aside, it's nice to see others still up at this late hour.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinese thing isn't a departure. Well, actually, the Asian thing isn't a departure-- Singapore was mentioned several times in both movies. In the second, it was assumed by one bit-character that that was where Jack was hiding out.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

[Embarrassed] Sorry, ricee.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My stars, Orlando Bloom's picture looks straight off the cover of a romantic novel.

So does Johnny Depp's, but that one I like for some reason.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
was Jack Sparrow left-handed before?

I like the Chinese weapons [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
Puffy, you really are the source for all my entertainment news. I know that if anything interesting happens in the entertainment world, I can always count on you to post it on Hatrack. I think you're awesome.

You are indeed a reliable source for stuff. Are you just an interested bystander or are you in the industry?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
On the third viewing of DMC, I was struck by the emphasis of a ring Jack palmed from Tia Dalma's lair, right next to her music box. It was featured prominently in nearly every shot of Jack after that. I'm thinking it is Davey Jone's wedding ring and will figure prominently in the third movie.

Or I might be crazy.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My stars, Orlando Bloom's picture looks straight off the cover of a romantic novel.

So does Johnny Depp's, but that one I like for some reason.

Mmmm. *gazes at picture* Can't think why. [Wink]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really thought the direction towards China was a natural thing. Its the right time period, and Chinese piracy was incredibly extensive at this point as were their Japanese counterparts. If the Chinese guy turns out to be from Guang Dong province or possibly Fu Jian it will be perfect for me. The Chinese folks in Guang Dong have taken piracy to a whole different level and even today their techno piracy knows no limit of ingenuity.

I'm excited for this movie, even if there is one scene with Chinese guys speaking Mandarin to each other Ill giggle in excitement, though it really should be Cantonese. I will admit I was mildly disappointed about one thing. I thought they were going to feature Cheng Yi Sao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_I_Sao

But hey there were plenty of famous Chinese male pirates.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

BlackBlade,

I study a martial art that originated in the Toisaan village area of Guandong Province. The American founder of the art was an enforcer-type of what was once a very powerful family there... something between a feudal system and a mafia from what we can piece together... and I wonder if there might be a connection.

Where might I find good information on Guandong piracy?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Next, PotC: IV, where the cast spends the entire movie trying to get Keira Knightly to eat.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Actually, for the time period of the movie, Singapore didn't exist yet.

Then again, the East India Trading company also never traded in the Caribbean, but rather in the far east, where they are now going.

I guess we aren't going for historical accuracy though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. It's Kung-Fu movie meets pirate movie meets dark comedy. They've hit the trifecta. [Big Grin]

I really thought the humor in the last one was even better than the first. The way it was written and played, my husband and I kept both remarking how much it reminded us of Monty Python (their good stuff.) I hope that holds true of the third movie as well.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
BlackBlade,

I study a martial art that originated in the Toisaan village area of Guandong Province. The American founder of the art was an enforcer-type of what was once a very powerful family there... something between a feudal system and a mafia from what we can piece together... and I wonder if there might be a connection.

Where might I find good information on Guandong piracy?

Far be it from me to claim to be a Chinese pirate scholar. Still this might be discouraging but if you could find the traditional village/shrine where the art originated I would NOT be surprised if you could yet find some older folks who could tell you everything you could wish to know. The Chinese value their arts and traditional methods very highly and many a man/woman who is the last remaining line of a prominent family has taken up the mantle of chief genealogist and caretaker of what made that family famous. If you are extraordinarily lucky there MIGHT be a web page created by a member of the family, but I doubt it.

Beyond actually visiting the place itself I really doubt you have any other recourse [Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:

Dittos!
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Next, PotC: IV, where the cast spends the entire movie trying to get Keira Knightly to eat.

Hey, I like the look she's got there. Although she does seem quite angry...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Meh. She and Bloom ruin the movie for me. I can't suspend my disbelief that much to believe they're pirates. Sorry.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Or good actors. Or something. [Razz]
pooka
Member # 5003

Did someone delete a post between your two posts? Just curious is all.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

"Meh. She and Bloom ruin the movie for me. I can't suspend my disbelief that much to believe they're pirates. Sorry....Or good actors. Or something. [Razz]"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm not in the industry, I just follow the blogs/diaries/journals of those who -are- in the industry, so I can pounce on news as soon as it's announced.

Why? Because I'm an obsessive geek. [Blushing]

Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Dude. It's Kung-Fu movie meets pirate movie meets dark comedy. They've hit the trifecta. [Big Grin]

Maybe a few snakes on a pirate ship here and there, and we're set.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Those were some pretty cool pictures. It sort of looks (or perhaps this is just my hope) that this will be a darker movie. I tend to enjoy darker movies much more than frivolous ones. The second movie had a not so fun mix of frivolity and rampant disregard for life. Hopefully this one will find the perfect balance the first one did. Except ... maybe darker. Because I tend to enjoy darker movies. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm guessing Azkaban was your favorite Harry Potter movie.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

According to Wikipedia, Chow yun Fat's character is based on Cheng Po Tsai... Cheng yi Sao's adopted son.

Happy news for you Black Blade?

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen those yet, but I've been told that it would be [Smile] .
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It looks like one of the scenes from those save the world sci fi movies before Bruce Willis or whoever goes up in the spaceship.
...which save the world sci fi movies are you talking about? Cause those pictures don't look sci=fi save the worldy to me at all...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
The lineup picture reminds me of the scene in Armaggedon when Bruce Willis and his team comes marching out in slow motion all dramatic-like.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, I thought you meant the fifth element. It still didn't make sense, but that was the nearest to sci-fi I'd ever seen Willis in. Armageddon was more of a disaster movie than a science fiction movie.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. I would have never realized that ws Chow Yun Fat. Guess I'm too use to seeing him carry like six Berettas...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Shanna called what I was thinking of specifically. And most of those disaster flicks ARE sci fi movies.

I was thinking of Armageddon specifically, but there've been other scenes similar to that, there was one in ID4.

I didn't mean to imply that POTC was in any way shape or form sci fi like.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.