FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Called It! (Democrats announce 2008 Convention Site)

Author Topic: I Called It! (Democrats announce 2008 Convention Site)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
DNC Chooses Denver for 2008 Convention

quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Democratic National Committee has chosen Denver to host the party's 2008 national convention, the committee formally announced late this morning.

Denver beat out other cities including New York for the right to host the party's presidential nominating convention that begins August 25 and runs through August 28. DNC Chairman Howard Dean cited the party's recent political successes made in the West as one of the reasons why he chose Denver for the convention site.

"There is no question that the West is important to the future of the Democratic Party," Dean said in a prepared statement. "The recent Democratic gains in the West exemplify the principle that when we show up and ask for people's votes and talk about what we stand for, we can win in any part of the country. Additionally, we have a number of strong Democratic leaders in the West who will be a part of showcasing the vision of Democratic leadership for America as we introduce the next Democratic President in the Rocky Mountains."

I can't find the thread I said it in, but I said months ago that the best chance Democrats had for picking up new votes was in the West, and it was in their best interests to have their nominating convention in the west, like Denver or maybe Arizona somewhere (but not Vegas, that's just ripe for the picking).

This is sound, smart tactical thinking. New York is the OBVIOUS choice, or really anywhere in the established liberal bastions. Denver is a play to openly court western states where they have a serious chance of picking up new electoral votes. The only other real choice besides Denver would have been in like Ohio, Columbus or Cincinnati (or Toledo?).

Between this and what I saw from the new Democratic campaign machine in 2006, I think Republicans will see a lot of their traditional campaign advantages shrink in 2008. Get out the vote, phone banks, driving little old ladies to polling stations etc etc, Democrats are finally on the ball with that, and I think it was evidenced in 2006.

Game on in 2008.

[ January 12, 2007, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting. For some reason, I never really thought how politically important the city in which the DNC was is. (That sentence really does make sense in my head, I swear.) But it makes sense. I think that Lyrhawn is right, the Democrats are changing the way they play the game, because it obviously hasn't been working for them lately. 2006 was a good indicator for what's going to happen in the next election. I can't wait.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's the one with the big bear.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised they didn't go for New Orleans.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, it sounds good now.
Wait until all the delegates luggage gets eaten by Denver's airport.

Then the snow falls.

Then see how good the decision was.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching Colorado and Arizona with great interest the last 10 years. There really does seem to be a trend towards blue in recent years, it makes perfect sense for the Democrats to attack that region. I get pretty tired of living in a region where both sides say election after election, "That place is a foregone conclusion, I'm not wasting a day there."
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Sure, it sounds good now.
Wait until all the delegates luggage gets eaten by Denver's airport.

Then the snow falls.

Then see how good the decision was.

lol true story. Have the Dems ever had their convention in Chicago though? Thats a much bigger problem there. You can't leave the cursed state when the weather doesn't want you to, but I suppose thats not as bad as Denver's infamous "luggage relocation" maneuver.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking Republicans at Provo, UT come 08 convention. hmmm. . . just a thought.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I wonder if this could be sign that the Southwestern Democrats are coming to the fron. Bill Richardson is stepping out of the shadows and growing in popularity. Of course, he has the disadvatage of being better qualified for the job than Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama, so he probably won't win.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I'm thinking Republicans at Provo, UT come 08 convention. hmmm. . . just a thought.

haha! I'd attend, we could go out for dinner afterwards! The R/D party headquarters in Provo are VERY close to each other, like less then a block away.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Snow? The nominating convention is usually during the height of summer. I know it's the mile high city, but they still have a summer don't they?

Blackblade, I thought you were kidding when you asked about Chicago. It's been there probably more than any other single city, and in 1968 there were widely publicized clashes between protestors and police.. Chicago:

1884, 1892, 1896, 1932, 1940, 1944, 1952, 1956, 1968, 1996.

The last time the Nominating Convention was in Denver was 1908. So a century will have passed since they were there.

* The Republican Convention will take place the following week in St. Paul, Minnesota. So no dice for the southwest. St. Paul was one of the three finalists (after New Orleans dropped out) of the Democratic nominating convention, but they went with Denver, wisely I think.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
*tries to imagine O'Hare being even more crowded with pissed off, impatient people than usual*

*can't*

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zophar
Member # 10063

- posted      Profile for Zophar   Email Zophar         Edit/Delete Post 
A century since the last one?
I like these sorts of anniversaries. Does this mean the Cubs will win the World Series this year or next? Please?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A century since they were in DENVER, they were in Chicago 12 years ago.

No dice for the Cubs.

Zophar
Member # 10063

- posted      Profile for Zophar   Email Zophar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A century since they were in DENVER, they were in Chicago 12 years ago.

No dice for the Cubs.

[Frown]
Yep, understood about Denver etc.
Just thinking more generally about 100 year anniversaries. I'll keep hoping. there's two years in a row that are 100 year anniversaries for the Cubs.
[Smile]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ah, I get it now.
i_r_actor
Member # 10081

- posted      Profile for i_r_actor   Email i_r_actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think both the Republicans and Democrats chose beautifully, putting their conventions in spots that are traditionally the other party's but could easily swing thier way. In 2004 the two closest states were New Mexico for Bush and Wisconsin for Kerry both going with a below 1% margin. Unfortunately for the Democrats, if they pick up the five in play states in the west (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and Montana) and the Republicans pick up the three in play states in the mid-west (Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin) the Republicans will win 291 to 247, way bigger than 2004. Luckly for the Democrats, the convention location doesn't really do that much (Republicans had their 2004 convention in New York and lost it by 1.4 million votes, the largest margin in the entire country.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Doubtful the Republicans will pick up Michigan. We just reelected a Democratic governor by a few million votes, and a Democratic Senator.

To say nothing of the crap state of the economy right now. And most people blame Bush, and by association Republicans. I think we're going to be a cakewalk for Democrats in 2008.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.