FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too Much Food (Fun Facts)

Author Topic: Too Much Food (Fun Facts)
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is a bit of a trivia buff and he found out a couple of fun food facts.

Twinkies (Hostess)-

500,000,000 are manufactured per year

Holy crap, who is eating all those Twinkies?

The second most common baked snack was Moon Pies, which I think was something like 250,000,000/yr, though I don't remember precisely. I look in several local grocery stores and I couldn't even find Moon Pies. It must be a regional thing.

Now tonight my brother called me up and pointed out that the one single Lipton brand tea makes 1,000,000 tea bags per hour seven days a week. That is 8.76 BILLION tea bags per year, and they are only one brand. Imagine the total tea consumed by all the brands of tea in the world.

I can't even comprehend that much tea. I can't even imagine that there is enough land anywhere to produce that much tea. It's stunning.

Nutella (chocolate hazelnut butter - like peanut butter)

This single brand of 'spread' out sells all brands of peanut butter combined world wide. We consume a lot of peanut butter in the USA, that means that the rest of the world must be consuming Nutella at an astronomical pace. Also, keep in mind that Nutella, while certainly the most popular, is not the only brand of Chocolate Hazelnut Butter made.

A few fun food facts, for what it's worth.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping for some tasty tidbits about how many animal and/or insect particles were allowed per unit of the product.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know how many Jaffa Cakes are consumed each year? They seem very popular, almost a staple of childhood in Britian.

Just curious.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
aiua -- you're evil!

*hides eyes*

*sticks fingers in ears*

La, la, la, la, la, la . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't even comprehend that much tea. I can't even imagine that there is enough land anywhere to produce that much tea. It's stunning.
The best tea is from Sri Lanka. It's pretty interesting - they're grown on terraces in the hilly regions with another tree, albecia, which is basically a growing compost fertilizer for the tea plants. Those hills (locals call them mountains - hah!) are pretty steep and really, I have a hard time imagining being able to pick those leaves without tumbling all the way down, but apparently, people do, all without the aid of climbing harnesses or the like. [/random useless tidbit]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Here, Shan, I found it for you.

quote:
PEANUT BUTTER

Insect filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams

Grit
(AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly qualifies filth... [Angst]

Like it even matters...

and it's not like I can split hairs when it comes to hairs.

I'd best forget this whole incident with some swet liquid amnesia.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

I'm guessing by filth they mean anything that shouldn't be there.
Like, if they went about advertising that their product contained maggots or something, then it wouldn't be filth, it'd be a bonus.

Shan
Member # 4550

*pours ambrosia all around*

*withholds aiua's*

I'll give you yours when you delete that disgusting filth . . . however, judging by some other threads, perhaps a little hair of the dog might be in order?

[Razz]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Sorry, Shan, it won't work. I'm too young to drink anyways.
Shan
Member # 4550

Well then, what are you doing with a hangover, may I ask? *taps foot and shakes head*

I think you should still take back the PB nastiness. *shudders* And here's a rootbeer as a bribe.

aiua
Member # 7825

I have no idea why!!!

Um, no. The nastiness stays. And I'm only drinking water and iced tea this week, neither of which is really adequate bribe material. [Big Grin]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Nutella is delicious. More Americans should try it.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Very true.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

Nutella problems-

The problem with Nutella is that if I have a jar in the house, I just sit down with a spoon and eat the whole jar. Not a drop ever makes it to a piece of bread.

Gee...? No one is surprised by HALF A BILLION Twinkies?

Steve/BlueWizard

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nutella is da bomb. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
While Nutella isn't bad, nothing beats peanut butter! [Big Grin]
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Nutella, found out about it in my high school French class.

Love peanut butter too, don't care what's in it.

America, by the way, is the only nation on earth that loves ICED tea more than hot tea. It's also our least favorite drink behind soft drinks, sports drinks and liquor, whereas most countries have it as their favorite.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

In this country, if you don't drink tea, you're looked at like you was just beamed off the muthaship.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
"All I can do is just pull some tea for two
and speak my point of view, though it's not sane" So even if ya do drink tea, sanity is not garanteed. [Wink]

Besides peanut butter, bread and water, tea is one of my favourite food stuffs (especially cinnamon flavour).

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like green tea with lots of honey. That and hot chocolate could sustain me for life.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Nutella cannot hold a candle to Duo Penotti (sorry, site appears to only be in Dutch). My wife bought me an imported pot for Christmas, and it's exactly as creamy and delicious as I remembered (haven't had any since 2002). By contrast, Nutella is thick, unspreadable, and (IMO) second-rate.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't eat twinkies. Somebody must be having my share.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Lyrhawn, sweetened iced tea, yes I can see how that can be gross.
But just tea and ice, no honey, sugar, lemon- that's fabulous.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.