FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Go now and look at this comet!

Author Topic: Go now and look at this comet!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Comet McNaught is near the sun in the sky. The best chance to see it from the northern hemisphere was last week. I looked for 3 nights and didn't see it. Apparently people in high latitudes had a better chance. Now it's visible to people in the southern hemisphere. This gif is amazing, though. It's a movie made from images from the SOHO telescope. The sun is at the center of the picture, but its light is blocked. The smaller dot moving from right to left that seems to almost intersect with the comet is the planet Mercury. Click on the link and look now! I'm not sure how much longer this gif will show the comet. [Smile]

(The white horizontal lines in the comet and in Mercury are artifacts of the camera. Their brightness is saturating the ccds there. You may have seen your digital camera do this at times, as well. The SOHO observatory is a spacecraft that was launched in 1995 to study the sun. This camera ordinarily observes the suns corona.)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last week (when I first read about it). It was cool. Could see it with the naked eye, and when there was still some light in the sky.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome! I wish I had seen it. But be sure to click on the link and look at that gif, too! It's really amazing! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Comet McNaught is Now Visible in the Daytime!"
Do NOT stare at the Sun. A sunburned retina causes (at least partial) permanent vision loss.

I can't see it because the combination of high altitude water vapor and smog glares out too large an area around the Sun even when the Sun itself is blocked out by an obstruction.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The astronomer here said it would next be visible on Thursday. Until then, I guess it's below the horizon for us. We're at latititude 40 degrees (nearly), here in Kansas. Just FYI.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sky & Telescope's article says:

quote:
If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, January 12th is your last good opportunity to catch Comet McNaught in the evening twilight — though January 13th isn't completely out of the question. After that, Comet McNaught will become a target for observers in the Southern Hemisphere, as shown below.
Up to now, people at far northerly latitudes have had the best views of Comet McNaught, but on January 12th the observing geometry is pretty much the same throughout the North Temperate Zone. On the 13th people at low latitudes in both hemispheres will be best placed to see the comet, and after that, people in the Southern Hemisphere will be favored.

Tstorm, are you in the southern hemisphere? If so you've got a good chance to see it! (If you mean Kansas in the United States, you missed it already.)

Be sure to check out the photo gallery for images caught by different people around the planet. Some of them are dreamy! I wish I had seen it myself!

[ January 16, 2007, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

It's suppose to be visible again on Thursday.

And my local astronomy instructor/neighbor trumps your Sky & Telescope article! j/k [Wink]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I think he's mistaken, though. S&T always has definitive observing info for the last 30 years so I trust'em. [Smile]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I'll find out tomorrow. First day of class, so he's probably in his office.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay! I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see it! =)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

a stunning picture of it
Tstorm
Member # 1871

That's pretty, Tatiana.

I never got to see the comet. Between work and poor horizon conditions, oh well.

I asked the astronomy teacher and he indicated last Thursday, Jan. 18 was the last gasp for us. He never saw the comet, either, despite looking harder than I did.

My Dad thinks he saw it last Wednesday morning (Jan. 17, on his drive to work. He described it as "a piece of contrail hanging near the horizon, near where the sun was going to come up." That sounds like what the photos look like. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

One more, then I promise I'll quit. It's too gorgeous not to show off! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.