FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's five minutes to midnight. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's five minutes to midnight.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say that the Russian civil war and cold war were the same thing. I said that the motives of people who fought in the Russian revolution are the same as the motives of those who fought in other marxist revolutions include those that became part of the cold war. Ergo control of resources was a motivating factor for at least one side in all of the cold war conflicts.

I also didn't say that we were "fighting over resources" in the cold war. I was responding to Will B's statement that

quote:
It's commonly said that resources are the leading cause of war, but how often does it actually happen?
and I said

quote:
Given that, only a fool could argue that resources didn't play a key factor in these wars.
So to summarize. I've claimed that the basis of the cold war was a fundamental disagreement in who and what principles should control the distribution of resources. In my mind, that makes "resources" a leading cause of the cold war.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to add that my comments were made in the context of the doomsday clock.

The contention of the scientists who set the doomsday clock is that growing demand for a shrinking pool of natural resources will lead to more wars.

In that context, I understood Will B's post as an attempt to argue that conflicts over the control of resources haven't actually been important in most recent wars. I continue to maintain that this shows a very limited understanding for the multiple complex causes of these wars.

Although many of these conflicts are likely about more than the control of resources, they are all also about the control of resources at one level or another.

Given that conflicts over the control of resources are one of the causes of virtually every conflict, the proposition that shrinking resources in the face of growing demand will result in more wars is pretty much a no brainer.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/stories/20070309003802500.htm
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

This article on the draft of the second of four documents to be released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change seems to be overly optimistic in the manner that the IPCC's "most probable" estimate of 0.3metres/1foot by the year 2100 is already being exceeded by actual sea-level rise measurements in the 17years since 1990 which show a trend of 0.9metres/3feet per century. ie If the trend found by measurement continues, what the IPCC predicts as "most probable" by 2100 will be exceeded before 2040.

Those measurements of the recent past don't take into account the ever increasing rate of CO2-increase and hence the temperature-rise expectable by 2040. Thus seawater expansion and ice-melting due to increased temperature should cause sea-level to rise even faster in the near future than current measurements indicate.

The IPCC report appears to be similarly pollyannaish on other points.

[ April 08, 2007, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Working Group I Summary for Policymakers on The Physical Science Basis for Anthropogenic Forcing of Climate

Working Group II Summary for Policymakers on Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability

aspectre
Member # 2222

New support for the GlobalWarming-induced DoomsdayClock scenario.
quote:
The Royal United Services Institute said...the world's response to the threats posed by climate change...had so far been "slow and inadequate"..."We're preparing for a car bomb, not for 9/11."

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I didn't say that the Russian civil war and cold war were the same thing. I said that the motives of people who fought in the Russian revolution are the same as the motives of those who fought in other marxist revolutions include those that became part of the cold war. Ergo control of resources was a motivating factor for at least one side in all of the cold war conflicts.

Well, that would make a lot of sense if you believed the motives of the Kremlin elite were even remotely related to the motives of the peasants. Which they weren't, outside of the pages of Pravda.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

One minute to midnight Justice

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM: not that most of the participants in the Russian Revolution were peasants.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.