FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever wanted to ride an Apache chopper?

Author Topic: Ever wanted to ride an Apache chopper?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
On the outside?

Strapped to a weapons pylon?

Across a river?

Wow. Apparently this happens from time to time.

My hat is off to you, sirs [Hat]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting to think that the vast majority of people are great; just that the small, nasty minority is more noticeable.

That may be youthful naievete, however.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
cool stuff!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not trying to take anything away from these individuals. They are most certainly heroes.

But...

I think you will find that in the military, you will find a large number of soldiers who are willing to and often do this type of selfless activity for their fellow man. It is only to us civilians that this is odd behavior.

While in the military, I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. This is the home to the medic. I was captivated by the citations of medics who won the medal of honor, many posthumously.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/Moh1.htm

This is a website where you can view citations of soldiers who have won the Medal of Honor. In reading, you will find the type of action noted in the first article is common among these real life heroes.

My hat goes off to everyone in the military. Thank you for your service. And, sometimes, your sacrifice.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered why we don't hear about our more recent troops getting Medals of Honors. They've only given out 2 for action during Operation Iraqi freedom.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
WIP,
I think it is because there are not as many large initiatives in this war. Most of what you see now is relatively small battle, at least compared to previous engagements.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, it's a different war on a different scale. Iraq is no longer a war of movement and territory capture, it's mostly about counter-insurgency operations and patrolling.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.