FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Female Protaganists... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Female Protaganists...
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is probably the most random thread I've done, but I've always wondered.

Why am I so drawn to books with female protaganists?

I'm a 16 year old, adolescent male, who enjoys reading science-fiction and fantasy (Among other genres), and I find myself drawn more to female characters than male characters.

I mean, it's not like it's some type of attraction to women that somehow transcends my life into the world of fiction.

I don't know if it's because most books with female protaganists are usually written by woman authors. I read books regardless of the sex of the character or author, but I still find myself reading books like "Through Wolf's Eyes".

It's not because I enjoy the whole 'woman vs. society' theme, that seems to be the underpinning of many speculative fiction books (Do *not* get me started on "The Mists of Avalon"), not that I hate it. Actually, I really thought Sansa and Arya, from "A Song of Ice and Fire" books, were some of the most interesting characters I ever read - Sansa being a very real 'lady', and Arya not becoming this 'warrior woman' overnight, just because she has a strength of will in the face of adversity.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Whether they've experienced the same thing, or have an idea why it would happen.

It's not like a concrete standard of mine... I read books with male protagonists, and really like them. But, while 'Judging a book by its cover', I'm more likely to read a book with a Woman on the cover, than a Man.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! I'm glad you're like that. I think I'm the opposite, and I know that I discriminate against female authors, though many of my favorite sf authors are women (Octavia Butler, Louis McMaster Bujold, Ursula K. Leguin). That's not true, though, for authors in history, of whom I only like a few women (Louisa May Alcott, Johanna Spyri, Jane Austen). As for main characters, I do prefer males there as well, though not as strongly. It would be interesting to see how many people fell in which camp and whether it varied much by gender.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because you think women are more interesting than men. Maybe it's because you are regressing to an infantile state where you reach out to maternal figures as an instinct.

Maybe cuz you'd prefer to "imagine" a female image than a male one? Who knows?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it could just be that you're interested in women, and enjoy getting the insights into the female psyche by reading about them.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a theory, but, just to offer one more data point, I am similar to Nathan in this respect. While enjoying books with male protagonists, I actively seek out those that have a female lead. A female author is usually an added bonus.

Any recommendations of good fantasy books with strong female leads are appreciated!

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Tamora Pierce's books are really good. Also, maybe because female characters don't tend to fall into the typical hero stigma of the mighty knight etc. but it really depens on the book anyway
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

I like Pierce's books and have read them all, except Terrier which I haven't been able to find yet. I've read the first chapter on her web page though, and I'm looking forward to it. Yes, I'm a 28 year old lawyer and I read children's books. So, sue me [Razz] .
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan:

Any recommendations of good fantasy books with strong female leads are appreciated!

Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy is the sine qua non of this measure, in my opinion. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

Read those too, and liked them... In fact, I think I've read most of what's generally considered good fantasy in this genre. Now I'm looking for something a little more obscure.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't care what the gender of the protagonist is. I don't seek out either, nor do I turn away either. However, my wife strongly--almost exclusively--prefers books with female protagonists. She also slightly prefers books by female authors.

Nathan, I think you might enjoy Debra Doyle's Mageworlds series--particularly the first book in the series, The Price of the Stars. It's science fiction, not fantasy, but then again, you could almost call it science fantasy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Jane Lindskold's books... As far as I know, they generally have female leads. I haven't read some of her stand-alones though.

I'll have to read these books people are naming... I have of list of books I'd like to check out... It keeps getting longer and longer... LOL

I actually was able to start reading 'A song of Ice and Fire' because of recommendations on hatrack (Though it's a rather popular series, and most anybody would have thought me illiterate for not knowing about it).

Oh, and, on an off note... I find that most of the 'gems' I've found in fantasy were children's books... Not teenage, or young adult books, since I find that they are almost always terrible. I mean childrens books. Chronicles of Narnia, The Secret Country, etc.

I think it would be interesting to find out what catagory in which people would fall in regards to preference to male/female protaganists. (Wow! That was a really long run-on)

Or, Young/old protaganists... Would OSC fans sympethize more with children protaganists, this explaining their initial interest in OSC's books?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I definitely sympathize more with young protagonists.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I think I gravitate more toward trying books with female protagonists, but I'm pretty equal-opportunity about what I end up liking. My three favorite living authors are Card, Chris Crutcher, and Elizabeth George. Their protagonists are all generally male, but I think the more important similarity in their books is the emotional intensity. Their books are wrenching, even -- yet ultimately hopeful. (Well, I haven't read the newest Elizabeth George yet...here's hoping she gets more hopeful.)

Out of curiosity, Nathan, which YA fantasy books have you read that were terrible?

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't actively seek out books where the protaganist is one gender or the other. However, I do know that I generally prefer a female protaganist. I tend to suspect that it has something to do with growing up around a lot of girls at home and frequently being friends with girls when I was younger, and I still am. That said, I absolutely fell in love with Margaret Lea in The Thirteenth Tale...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I remember being a 16-year old adolescent male.

[Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to be so rude as to advocate some of my own favourites:

Ara - Tanith Lee

The Liveship Traders - Robin Hobb

The Shadowleaugue Series - Maggie Furey

The Empire Trilogy - Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurtz

As best I can remember all of these have female leads. Enjoy! [Smile]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never thought about it, but I'm a 21-year-old female, and I generally find myself reading books with male protagonists. I must have issues with me father. ;)
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked the Dark Angel trilogy by Meredith Pierce. The second book is a little weak (isn't that the rule with trilogies), but the first and last are Quite Good.

<edit>And the later books in the Earthsea series (Tehanu, The Other Wind, and the short story Dragonfly) have female protagonists and are very good. Earthsea in general is my second most highly recommended fantasy series.</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
One obvious suggestion is Wyrms by Orson Scott Card.

There's a good chance you've already read it, but since you didn't mention it...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Emergence, by David Palmer.

Anne McCaffery's Harper Hall trilogy.

Out of Time, and its sequelae, by Lynn Abbey.

The Merchant Princes books, by Charles Stross.

Pamela Dean's amazing Tam Lin.

Almost anything by Judith Tarr.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probably love the Nausicaa of the Valley of Winds manga series. Way better than the movie. It's filled with strong fantastic women, but that's Miyazaki for you. (Mononoke Hime comes to mind.)
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why on Earth would it be rude to advocate your favorites? [Confused]

-o-

I mostly agree with the Empire Trilogy--except only (or mostly) the first two books. By the second book's end, all the issues are basically resolved, and the third book opens with what feels to me like an extremely manipulative attempt to recreate tension by basically taking everything away from her. It just doesn't feel like a trilogy to me. It feels like two good books, to which someone said, "Well fantasy always comes in trilogies, so write another one."

Come to think of it, much of that applies to the Harper Hall "trilogy," no?

Icarus
Member # 3162

(However, I absolutely adored Dragonsinger. Very much a young adult book, but a thoroughly good one. I would certainly recommend it in this discussion.)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Dragondrums (book 3 of the HH trilogy), but I've always been a big Piemur fan.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I got kind of tired of Piemur. Menolly was my favorite.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:

Out of curiosity, Nathan, which YA fantasy books have you read that were terrible?

Quite honestly, I don't remember the names. All of them used up my 100 page grace period, and then I just couldn't bring myself to read anymore. The titles all kind of blur together, anyway... And sadly, I'm not being fescetious.

Also... in replying to another post, I've never been able to read Wyrms. My library doesn't have it. Actually, my selection of books is pretty much limited to what my library has. Thanks for the suggestion, though... I'll have to try to find it and buy it. Here's to my upcoming birthday (money).

Tam Lin, YAY. I want to read that... So far, I've only read Dean's trilogy (The Secret Country, The Hidden Land, and The Dragon or something or other)

<Insert abrupt ending to post here>

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharon Shinn creates some amazing characters of both sexes. Her Samaria trilogy, starting with Archangel, goes back and forth, focusing first on a feminine protagonist, then masculine, and so on. Very, very good.

I know it's cheesy, but one of my favorite female characters ever is Elora Danan, from the Shadow series by Chris Claremont and George Lucas. It takes one of my favorite stories of all time, Willow, and expounds on it, following Elora as she becomes a young adult. Some of it's cheesy crap, thanks, no doubt, to the contribution of George Lucas. But most of it wonderful. I really enjoyed where they took the story.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I got kind of tired of Piemur. Menolly was my favorite.

I love Menolly.

And Lessa, and Piemur, and Sebell, and Jancis, and Jaxom, . . . and F'lar, F'nor, F'lessan (and Tai), Brekke, Mirrim, Aramina & Jayge, Lytol, Readis, Sharra, Rill, Sorka & Sean, not to mention a bunch of characters who never appeared in the books but were part of fan clubs (approved by Anne).

And most of all, I love Robinton.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i tend recently to play female characters in MMO's, if your going to stare for 5 hours at someones butt on a screen might as well make it female.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

I adored Dragonsinger when I was 10 or 11--that was probably my real start into reading fantasy. I found Dragondrums disappointing, too...Piemur growing up was a drag.

Thanks for trying to remember, Nathan. [Smile] The only YA fantasy I've actively hated was Eragon. I think Paolini will get better as he gets older, though.

And as long as we're giving recommendations, try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. There have been some long and detailed recommendations of that book on this site (just search Mistborn). I read it first, then Elantris, the other book by the author. Mistborn is MUCH better, with a fantastic denouement that manages to be a completely satisfying ending while still creating curiosity about the sequels. That's a book I'll be buying in hardcover when it comes out this summer.

Edited to add: Oh, rivka, I love Robinton, too. *sigh*

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Dragonsinger. Though my favorite part of Dragondrums was when Menolly finally got together with Sebel (sp?).

I just reread Dragonflight the other day.

Have you ever tried Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey?

And Elizabeth Moon has more series than just the ones about Paksennarion. My favorite of her heroes is Esmay Suiza, particularly in the book Once a Hero. That entire series has a number of really strong women.

Personally, though, despite being female, I've always preferred male protagonists to female for some reason, and in my few short-stories, I've almost always written in the first person as a male.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a little young for you, but I love all of Patricia Wrede's books. Her Enchanted Forest Trilogy is her most famous, it starts with Dealing With Dragons. However, I also adore Mairelon the Magician and its sequel The Magician's Ward as well as Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

I love Patricia Wrede!!! I've read all of the Enchanted Forest series (There are 4 books... But the fourth one was a drag). I don't know why, but I love 'younger' books, but 'teen' books irritate me. Not teen characters, but just books aimed and marketed for teens. I don't know why.

Also, in reply to an earlier post which I unfortunently passed over, I love the Thirteenth Tale. It's one of my favorites (Even though I technically isn't fantasy... But next to SF and Fantasy is gothic, most definitively!)

I love seeing all these book recommendations... With all of these, the library is *bound* to have some of them!

I kind of just posted this as a random thread, seeing if there was anybody else who kind of found that the sex of the MC plays a part (Just in the beginning... Once I start reading, I'll be just as picky, regardless of the sex) But now, I have all these books to check out. I've been kind of bummed, since I've pretty much read all of the library's 'listed' fantasy/sf authors. They list them on handy little pieces of paper which are free to grab.

But alas, now I have new direction in life... A bit melodramatic, but I think you guys get the idea. LOL.

In responce to an earlier thread, I, too, find myself writing books with female protaganists... I've tried to introduce multiple characters, of both sexes, and switch POV between them throughout the book, but it never really works out... *I*, the author get confused. So I'll stick to one MC and short stories for a while.

Out of sheer curiosity, has anybody read 'The Mists of Avalon'? Maybe I was a bit harsh earlier... It did get past my 100 page grace period, after all.

dean
Member # 167

I haven't read (all of) Mists of Avalon, but I did read Firebrand, which is kind of like Mists of Avalon in feel, I thought. Firebrand is the Trojan War from the perspective of Paris' twin sister Cassandra who was raised with the Amazons and who has an interesting relationship to the gods. However, I couldn't make it through Mists, but I enjoyed Firebrand despite its sort of pedantic feel when it came to Bradley's particular brand of historical feminism.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan2006:
Tam Lin, YAY. I want to read that... So far, I've only read Dean's trilogy (The Secret Country, The Hidden Land, and The Dragon or something or other)

Whim of the Dragon. All phenomenal. I couldn't get into The Dubious Hills, though.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

<sniff> Now I'm crying just thinking about him.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by dean:
I haven't read (all of) Mists of Avalon, but I did read Firebrand, which is kind of like Mists of Avalon in feel, I thought. Firebrand is the Trojan War from the perspective of Paris' twin sister Cassandra who was raised with the Amazons and who has an interesting relationship to the gods. However, I couldn't make it through Mists, but I enjoyed Firebrand despite its sort of pedantic feel when it came to Bradley's particular brand of historical feminism.

I liked Mists of Avalon, but I loved Forest House (one of the prequels).
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I loved Dragonsinger. Though my favorite part of Dragondrums was when Menolly finally got together with Sebel (sp?).

Well, duh. [Wink] And it's Sebell. (Isn't Robin Wood's work gorgeous?)
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

<sniff> Now I'm crying just thinking about him.
Thanks bunches. I managed not to get all teary yesterday. *sniffle*

I have to go to the DMV! And then deal with Big Government Agency at work! I can't be crying over a fictitious *sniffle* character!

dean
Member # 167

That is an awesome painting. =D And thanks for the correction. I tried doing a search and came up with this one guy who insisted on spelling it Sebelle, which I knew wasn't right.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
I love Patricia Wrede!!! I've read all of the Enchanted Forest series (There are 4 books... But the fourth one was a drag). I don't know why, but I love 'younger' books, but 'teen' books irritate me. Not teen characters, but just books aimed and marketed for teens. I don't know why.

*slaps self* I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote Trilogy. I have all 4 books sitting on my bookshelf and I've read all 4 of them multiple times (I agree with you, the 4th is the weakest, although I believe it's the one she wrote first).

Are you talking about books like "Gossip Girl" "The A List" etc.? Those books disgust me, too, but there are plenty of other good books out there aimed at teens. They just take more work to find amoung the dredge.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

A trilogy can be more than one book. Ask Douglas Adams. <grin>

[ January 23, 2007, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A trilogy can be more than one book. Ask Douglas Adams. <grin>

Indeed, the vast majority of them are at least three. [Razz]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

Which reminds me. I own and have read Terrier, and it's well worth it. I hope that Pierce does more books about Beka Cooper. I think she's one of the most awesome protagonists she's got yet. It makes me miss my Alanna books because I want to go back and reread what Pierce said about George Cooper way back when.
Liz B
Member # 8238

OK, I read the first Alanna book and was like, ho-hum. I haven't read any other Pierce books although I recommend them like crazy. Should I give her another try??
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way about female protagonists... perhaps it's because they are typically written as resolving conflicts in ways that most male heroes aren't depicted as doing, and I find that refreshing. Plus, they're not as dumb as men, heh.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

dean- There are going to be 3 books about Beka Cooper.
dean
Member # 167

Awesome, blacwolve! Something to look forward to!

As for the question of Tamora Pierce, her Alanna books aren't her best works. She wrote them when she was pretty young and they have a lot of flaws that she corrects in her later writing. Her later writing tends to be better characterized and better paced between the length of time happening in a book and the length of the book. I love the Alanna books a lot because they were the first of her books that I read and because I really admire Alanna, but they were by no means Pierce's best.

I would recommend, Liz, that you try reading some of her newer stuff. My recommendation would be to read Trickster's Choice or Terrier for examples of what and how she's writing now. Trickster's Choice is about Alanna's daughter, Ali or Terrier, which is about George Cooper's famous ancestress.

In fact, before I'd read some of her latest stuff, I had considered Tamora Pierce to be something of a guilty pleasure, but I feel that she's really growing and developing as a writer, and her latest stuff is some of her best (with the exception of the, to my mind disappoint, Will of the Empress). I almost wish she would take up the task of rewriting the Alanna books with her more mature skill-level. Almost.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I tried doing a search and came up with this one guy who insisted on spelling it Sebelle, which I knew wasn't right.

EW!!! *pokes out own eyes*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.