FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *growl* My purse was stolen - and today I was finally able to make a police report! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: *growl* My purse was stolen - and today I was finally able to make a police report!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Replacement cards, yes. Brand new ones, no.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Did you have any passwords or codekeys listed somewhere in your purse?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It had my Palm. So, yes, but hopefully none in ways that will mean anything to someone else.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
oooh -- ouch -- that's a damn good question, CT.

You know -- this kind of hassle and scare makes one almost want the days of one wrist-worn ID with all your info in one place available.

*looking with dismay at the numerous "rewards" and "shoppers rebate" cards in her wallet*

Are those kinds of cards important to have cancelled and replaced, too? Seems like they needed some personal info to get them.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

rivka, I'm so sorry. I imagine I would feel so tired right about now.

*hug

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Most of my such cards are keycards. And my keys (except the extras in my purse) were not taken. Besides, while the store certainly has my personal info and can look it up with my card number, what would a thief do with them? Save money on groceries? [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
rivka, I'm so sorry. I imagine I would feel so tired right about now.

Yeah. Very long day -- and it's not done yet.

Thanks.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Any membership cards to community resources (zoo, pool, art museum, etc.)?

---

Edited to add: keys or lockcodes to storage units?

rivka
Member # 4859

Nope. Being lazy pays off. [Wink]

And no -- keys like that are on my keyring.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick, ick, ick. I'm so sorry, Rivka. [Frown]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good! [Smile] Small favors.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. I have chosen the cell phone I want. Now, if the locksmith ever shows up, I can go to the Verizon store and get my new phone.

Of course, I realized that replacing my Palm will be a bit more of a challenge. I have no credit cards!

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Rivka! What a hassle.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*still waiting for the damn locksmith*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I'm sorry you had such a horrible thing happen to you.

Have you considered freezing your credit reports?

You'd only want to do this if you're not going to need credit checks done in the near future, of course, so make sure you get your cards replaced first if you do it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Given that only one of my cards shows any not-me activity (and that one just the one charge), I'm leaning towards not. My guess is that the thief was interested primarily in the cash.

Oh, and I am STILL waiting for the locksmith my landlady said would be here between 3 and 4 (it's almost 6). And I am having no luck reaching my landlady.

rivka
Member # 4859

Finally reached my landlady, who had the locksmith call me. Got apology that's not exactly an apology . . . and a promise that the guy will be here within an hour.

I've been waiting for four already. [Mad]

And the locksmith is trying to claim that his guy was here shortly before three. NUH-UH. I've had my son sitting and reading in the front room, to be sure we didn't miss a knock, since about 2:30.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who steals my purse, steals trash; 'tis something,
nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to
thousands:
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.

Clearly, Othello didn't have to deal with the DMV.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Locksmith!

(Only 3-4 hours late. [Razz] )

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Blech! I'm sorry someone did such a crappy thing to you. Good job on alllll of that stuff you've fixed (as much as it can be "fixed") already. You are on fire!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks. I still haven't made it in to work (that was supposed to be after the DMV, which was supposed to be after the locksmith), so I'll need to go in for a couple hours.

DMV will have to be before work tomorrow, if the lines aren't too horrible. Can't stay too late -- Big Government Agency comes at 10:30, so I'd best be in no later than 9:30.

rivka
Member # 4859

Shiny new locks and two keys, check.

New cell phone, check. (With bluetooth, yay! With camera, meh.) Now I just have to re-enter 100+ numbers . . . I just hope I have 'em all elsewhere.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
How terrible! I'm sorry this happened. [Frown] I wish I could say something helpful, but I'm always at a loss where practical, real-world matters are concerned. I wouldn't know what to do.

This does, however, reinforce the fact that the people who make fun of me for being a compulsive door-locker are wrong, and I am right. I lock my apartment door when I go to do laundry. I also lock it as soon as I've stepped inside. I lock my car door when I go inside to pay for gasoline, and before I even start the car when I'm about to drive somewhere. The only time my doors are unlocked is when I am in the act of passing through them. I've never had anything stolen from me, so some people feel I'm just being paranoid, but this just goes to show that a door only has to be unlocked for a moment for bad things to come of it.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it happened, rivka. Sucks. [Frown]

Verily, I'm with you with the compulsive locking. Subjected me to many mocks, but whatever. I've still had stuff stolen, but that also took ruining my door and door frame in the process. [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tough news Rivka. I hope the worst is over.

I have to make a real effort to remember to lock doors. Mind you, we lost a Christmas present from our post box this year, so even our tiny village is not immune to crime. Sad but true.

Good luck with all the replacements.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

When I'm the only one home, the door is always locked.

When the kids are home . . . well, we'll be working on that. [Razz]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably late in saying this now -- and I know nothing of your neighborhood -- but usually theives take what they want from a purse (credit cards, cash) and then dump the rest in a local dumpster, rather than risk being seen carrying it around.

If you had looked into dumpsters near you right after it happened, you MIGHT have found at least some of your stuff. You never know.

But I'm glad you're getting everything taken care of so promptly and thoroughly. I think this is an educational thread.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
If you had looked into dumpsters near you right after it happened, you MIGHT have found at least some of your stuff.

We checked all the garbage cans (not really much in the way of dumpsters right nearby, but lots of garbage cans in the alley) yesterday morning. No luck.

Thanks, though. [Smile]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't register them online. I'm not even entirely sure what stores they were for -- I just know I had a couple in there. (That's how I usually redeem my cashback bonus from Discover.)
Since you got them through Discover, I'm sure they have records of what cards you got. They might be able to cut off the ones that were stolen and send you new ones.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I'm so sorry that happened! [Frown]

The idea of someone just randomly opening a front door and grabbing what they want is pretty mind-boggling to me. I mean, who thinks of doing that?? Do they just saunter down the street testing every door to see if it's unlocked? [Mad]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they could just see the kids bounding out the door and not locking it behind themselves, I guess.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
quote:
I didn't register them online. I'm not even entirely sure what stores they were for -- I just know I had a couple in there. (That's how I usually redeem my cashback bonus from Discover.)
Since you got them through Discover, I'm sure they have records of what cards you got. They might be able to cut off the ones that were stolen and send you new ones.
That's a thought. I will look into that -- thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
The idea of someone just randomly opening a front door and grabbing what they want is pretty mind-boggling to me. I mean, who thinks of doing that?? Do they just saunter down the street testing every door to see if it's unlocked? [Mad]

Crime stats certainly indicate that some people do. It's part of why neighborhood watch programs are effective.
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Or they could just see the kids bounding out the door and not locking it behind themselves, I guess.

Also a possibility. We had a Conversation today.

In the race to get me replacement credit cards, Discover wins. By a mile! They told me I'd have the new one by Thursday, overnighted on Wednesday.

It came today. [Smile] Go Discover!

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
What a pain! I'm sorry to hear this Rivka. Sounds like you got it pretty well covered though.

I've seen people going through parking lots checking for unlocked doors. I guess this is pretty much the same thing. There're all kinds of people out there.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I realized the worst part today.

My little wallet full of pictures. Most of which are irreplaceable. [Frown] A picture of my dad at age two with his grandfather, senior-year pictures of classmates from high school (with notes on the back), pictures of my kids from when they were little (and school pictures) that I have no other copies of.

[Cry]

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs sadly*

That sucks.

I'm sorry someone did that to you.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((rivka)))

That is the most suckiest, irreplaceable part.

I'm so sorry.

[Frown]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My license and credit card were found. They were found on a guy who was arrested because he not only burgled a house, but molested a kid who lived there. [Angst] That means it could easily have been have been one of my kids in that situation!!! *gets the shakes*

Thank God, all he took from my place was my purse. He's in custody, and in another state. And, at least I'll get my license back . . .

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. I'm really glad your kids are okay, rivka.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Me too, me too!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. One of those moments that makes you realize how bad it WASN'T, despite everything! [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't already, I would suggest going to the three credit services and signing up for an identity theft alert (sometimes called fraud alert). While the theft of the other things is bad, identity theft can be much worse.

They should all give you a 90-day alert, where any creditors will need to contact you before they can make changes to your credit. You have to fill out forms to get a longer alert put on, but it's worth it.

Each credit reporting agency is also required to offer you one free credit report per year. If you space them out, you can keep a fairly close watch. Good idea to do this as well.

Good luck with everything!

www.equifax.com/
www.experian.com/
www.transunion.com/

[ February 15, 2007, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!
Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy thwap, rivka!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

*hug*

How horrible (even more so).

Glad you're all ok.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good gravy.

*vibes*

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
How'd I miss hearing about this the first time around?!

Anyway, I'm glad they caught the guy. Hopefully everything else gets smoothed out, too.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, guys.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Paying for identity theft protection from a credit bureau seems like paying extortionists for me. FWIW, I think that's an awful suggestion.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.