FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rocket Scientist Cheerleader

Author Topic: Rocket Scientist Cheerleader
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty cool...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/01/03/rocket.scientist/index.html##

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that in the issue it was published in.

Very cool.

It's about an NFL cheerleader who's a rocket scientist (for those who are too lazy to click). I think she's also a helicopter pilot, iirc.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be Buckaroo Banzai's daughter.

ps. The actor who played Buckaroo Banzai, and Robo-Cop, is also a professor of ancient art, according to an article I read somewhere.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you see him on documentaries on the history channel a lot now. Peter Weller?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There was actually an article about him in Slate yesterday or the day before.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the girl who played Winnie on The Wonder Years some sort of math genius now?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's Blossom - she has a PhD in nueroscience now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Inspiring that this woman could overcome stereotypes to be both the beauty and the brains...

...too bad she's now probably resented by the majority of women everywhere.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much they should resent her for her beauty, though....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I think that's Blossom - she has a PhD in nueroscience now.

Mayim Bialik. [Smile]

She does not quite have her PhD yet (from UCLA) -- she's working on her thesis, from everything I've heard. She was in the undergrad chemistry program at the same time I was, three years behind me. We have a number of mutual friends from outside of UCLA as well, so I'll occasionally see her at social events.

Danica McKellar (Winnie) was at UCLA at about the same time as well, but I never saw her. A friend of mine was in a history class with her though. They were partners for some project, IIRC. And her degree is indeed in mathematics, although "genius" is probably overstating things a bit.

Article on both of them.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

You really think so? *curious

I doubt many women know of her.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:

Correction: resented by the majority of women who know who she is.

This isn't meant to be a shot at women; if she were the male equivilant, the resentment from men would be the same.

Edit: but yes, I really think so. I think most people are able to deal with those they see who have more than they do by pointing out their flaws; models are called dumb, engineers are geeks with no social skills, etc. The two most readily apparent attributes always seem to be physical attractiveness and intelligence, so when someone like the cheerleader in question comes along and combines both, people are left without an obvious negative attribute to highlight in order to make themselves feel better.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
one of my coworkers has an article about the original girl (rocket-scientist cheerleader) posted in his cube and keeps talking about her as "our next new hire" [Smile]

Though I really can't complain, of the engineering disciplines out there Aerospace is actually one of the more female-friendly.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't the girl who played Winnie on The Wonder Years some sort of math genius now?
"Genius" might be overstating it somewhat, but you're remembering correctly that she studied mathematics.

Here's her wikipedia article.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This isn't meant to be a shot at women; if she were the male equivilant, the resentment from men would be the same.

Ah, I get you now. Yeah, it's a shame that many people seem to react this way. Probably says a lot about our collective level of insecurity.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:

Rather unfair considering that in the article is says

quote:
on her 40-or-so person project at NASA, there are just two other women and, for the record, they love how she moonlights
There doesn't seem to be any resentment from the women here at hatrack either.

I bet the only women out there who truly resent her are the ones whose only life long dream was to be a ProFootball cheerleader but didn't make it through the auditions.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Rather unfair considering that in the article is says
quote:
There doesn't seem to be any resentment from the women here at hatrack either.

I bet the only women out there who truly resent her are the ones whose only life long dream was to be a ProFootball cheerleader but didn't make it through the auditions.

I don't think anyone could possibly confuse two NASA rocket scientists and the women of Hatrack with anything remotely resembling an average sampling of women.

Further, how many women do you think are going to openly admit it?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not I, that's for sure. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The most amusing thing about it all is her male co-workers who thought if she was a cheerleader they would get to pick up hot chicks.

As far as her actually doing both, I think she's pretty awesome and have nothing but the highest admiration for her.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, I will take that bet. I wager everything in my checking account.

Daddy's gonna buy him a Waverunner!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Has fantasies of Natalie Portman and her Erd?s–Bacon number of 9....
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The most cited theoretical physicist currently, LisaRandall is strikingly attractive, especially when rock-climbing.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at Johnson Space Center for four years. I never saw women who looked like that working there. One day, while eating lunch, I did hear how one lady was excited about a soon to be released Battle Star Galactica DVD set.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this thread is basically about stereotypes, I'll admit my first thought when I saw the topic was, "She must be asian."
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very good friend who works for Jacobs. He really needs a good woman. Maybe I should send him the article.

Of course, he works at Jacobs in Greenbay, so its not likely they will meet.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I have to say that the cheering job sounds like a ton of work (and for minimum wage!) but if she enjoys it, that's great! Very cool of her to try something that ended up changing some of her own stereotypes.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think women would resent her because there's often this tradeoff in people's minds. It's ok I'm not pretty, because at least I'm smart. Or, it's ok I'm not smart, because at least I'm pretty. And when your entire self-worth hangs on smart people not being pretty or pretty people not being smart, it's really, really hard to acknowledge that people can be both.

I do this all the time. I'm aware of it, and I try to minimize the destructive power of this kind of thinking, but it's a very difficult thought-pattern to break.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
When working at a dating service, I often heard variations of the phrase, "Sexy, smart, sane: pick two." I was somewhat surprised that this was applied to both men and women, although the women were a little more circumspect about their wording.

Of course, there are stereotypes about every type of person, smart, athletic, attractive, or otherwise. As a smart, sexy, sane man, I feel her pain [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
im in love.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.