FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » No need for coffee

Author Topic: No need for coffee
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Not when you have doughnuts!

Scientist develops caffeinated doughnuts

quote:
DURHAM. N.C. - That cup of coffee just not getting it done anymore? How about a Buzz Donut or a Buzzed Bagel? That's what Doctor Robert Bohannon, a Durham, North Carolina, molecular scientist, has come up with. Bohannon says he's developed a way to add caffeine to baked goods, without the bitter taste of caffeine. Each piece of pastry is the equivalent of about two cups of coffee.

While the product is not on the market yet, Bohannon has approached some heavyweight companies, including Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks about carrying it.

"O brave new world that has such doughnuts in it!"

[Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Pastries and caffeine?
Caffeine and pastries?

That am unpossible!

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Blasphemy!

Part of the glory of donuts is the way the taste of the donut blends with the taste of the coffee.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Pix,

there are other possibilities. Imagine having the option, on a sleep-deprived day when you have to be productive, of being able to glory in caffeinated pastry and a super-charged coffee from the White Hen Pantry.

My blood pressure and blood sugar soar just thinking about it.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake: actually I thin my coffee. I'm getting old and can't handle so much caffein as I used to =(
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Blasphemy!

Part of the glory of donuts is the way the taste of the donut blends with the taste of the coffee.

Eeeeeew. *has always hated coffee*

I drink non-fat milk with my donuts, thank you very much. My Foster's donuts, of course, I don't like other donuts hardly at all.

My strange association with donuts is needles, though. See, every time we got our blood drawn, if we behaved, sat still, and cooperated, we got donuts. So I don't mind having my blood drawn at all, since I associate it with donuts. (And my husband always rolls his eyes because when I'm pregnant, I get my blood drawn pretty frequently-- at least four different tests-- and then each time I have gone in and got a blood draw I say as we're leaving, "Okay, remember to stop at Foster's!" [Big Grin] One time he questioned the validity of this rule and I had to call my mom to back me up. She said, "Did you cry and scream or fight the technician?" "Nope, I behaved perfectly!" "Well, then, you're right, you have to go get donuts-- it's the rule!" [Big Grin] And Foster's is on the way back from the hospital and everything, I don't know why he complains. [Razz] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had stayed up late and had not gotten enough sleep to be awake for classes in the morning at high school I would down a glazed donut, a Dr. Pepper, and a Chocolate milk. I am pretty sure that cock tale of caffeine and sugar did an incredible job of yanking me up to total awareness.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BB: You post brought out my inner beavis and butthead.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
BB: You post brought out my inner beavis and butthead.

Ha! The same thing happened to me when I added the space in a certain word in that sentence. Wasn't sure if it was one or two.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cocktail."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh huh huh.

When I first saw this thread title something inside me got very angry; "No need for coffee! I'll show you!" *smashes thread with giant hammer of coffee rightiousness*

But there is still a need for coffee! The donuts alone won't be enough. Caffeinated donuts + coffee = good. Coffee has a new best friend!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, vonk, you have a point. This issue has been visited before:

quote:
Yes, Virginia, there is coffee. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no coffee! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

halfhearted apologies to Francis P. Church

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.