FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deathly Hallows Release Date

Author Topic: Deathly Hallows Release Date
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it old news that the last Harry Potter book is being released on July 21st? I hadn't heard about it and I just got an email from Barnes and Nobles saying it was available for preorder. So either I'm way behind the times (as there's no thread on the front page about it that I can see at a quick glance), or I'm actually well informed about something!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Is it old news that the last Harry Potter book is being released on July 21st?

It's new news, as J.K. Rowling didn't post it on her website until this morning. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! I beat Puffy! I am teh awesome! Bow before my entertainment guruness [Big Grin] .

Ok, I'm done, I'll go back into my cave now.

Still, why didn't she go for the whole 07/07/07 thing? It's only two weeks. Can that make that big of a difference when it comes to getting the book done and available?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
She never once said she planned to release the book on 7/7/07.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
That WOULD be a cool date for the 7th in a series
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I know she never said she planned on it, but it couldn't have possibly not occurred to her. Is two weeks that big of a deal in the publishing world that it couldn't be ready by the 7th or is the 21st just her way of saying "nyah nyah! It's not when you all thought it was going to be. It's two weeks later! HA!"
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Do authors even get to choose the precise release dates of their books? I was under the impression that authors don't get that kind of control over publication details like that.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooohoooo!!!!! We have a release date! I'm going to amazon to pre-order my copy.

I was hoping it would be this summer!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, they do when they're JK Rowling.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
J.K.Rowling coulda got her publishers to release her 7th book at 07:07:07 on 07/07/07 for seven 7s. Write 6 novels that sell 300million-plus books (mostly in hardcover, where the big profit margin is) and the publishers will do anything you want.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Verily, they do when they're JK Rowling.
Haha!

quote:
7th book at 07:07:07 on 07/07/07 for seven 7s.
:-O
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, but the fifth movie is coming out around 7/13/7 and Rowling said she wouldn't compete with its grosses, the studio being worried everyone would stay home reading instead of planting their butts in seats.

7 21 is right after payday, that is bad, I may not be able to control myself and buy an audio cd, regular hardcover and giftedition... [Razz]

July is a very Harry month right now.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Retail price = $34.99; last book was $29.95, so hope that means that book 7 will be longer than 6 [Cool]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...you want them to release it on the seventh day of the seventh month. I sense a pattern here. Something else about a seventh seventh comes to mind.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Its generally thought that Rowling would have released it on 7/7/07 as its really just too perfect a date to ignore considering the importance of the number seven in the books. However, I would imagine she thought it a little inappropriate as it is the anniversary of the London Bombings....
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the third time I've been planning on going to the midnight release, and the third time I've already had plans for either Friday or Saturday of that weekend when the book was to come out, of course both other times I did it, and read as much as I could that weekend.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
it better be big enough to require a wheelbarrowl
It should be 300 dollars, man, because that would mean a huge book that would never fit into children's backpacks!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
it better be big enough to require a wheelbarrowl
It should be 300 dollars, man, because that would mean a huge book that would never fit into children's backpacks!

LOL! True Story!

Not only that, the last chapter, (The Infamous "What Happens To All The Characters Chapter") had BETTER be 100 pages by itself as well as QUITE conclusive, thus rendering almost all the fan fic out there useless.

I am definitely strolling down to a midnight release and picking up a copy, I will commence reading at every red light on the way home, I should be done reading within 24 hours.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the last two releases at midnight. When OotP came out, I hadn't read any of them, but a couple days later I had read them all. Then I went to the HBP release like an excited 10 year old.

Maybe she avoided the 777 thing because she didn't want to point to the specific seventh of the seventh reference in the book too much, a little slight of hand misdirection.

Anyway, it a good month to release the book. Most industry experts I've read opinions from agree that they won't steal the spotlight away from each other, they'll only enforce each other.

They should be more worried about the Equus photos.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I wish I'd gone to the midnight release before...now I have a toddler and it will be harder!

Hmmm...I wonder if baby-sitters are going to charge a premium that night. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I shouldn't think so, most children will be ignorant that the photos exist, and how is a parent going to explain to their kid "You can't go see the Harry Potter movie?"

I really don't think his stage life is going to effect how well received the movie is. Though I wonder if the bath scene in TGOF movie made somebody think, "He'd be great in Equus!"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
i wonder what luck will bring if a person had a birthday on say.... 7/7/7. That would be really strange....
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
I shouldn't think so, most children will be ignorant that the photos exist, and how is a parent going to explain to their kid "You can't go see the Harry Potter movie?"

I really don't think his stage life is going to effect how well received the movie is. Though I wonder if the bath scene in TGOF movie made somebody think, "He'd be great in Equus!"

No, I don't think it will be that big of a deal either, especially because most people will never see them, unless CNN or the nightly news forces it on them. But I've already seen some articles with stories from parents who disapprove and won't let their kids see anymore of the movies.

It's stupid. Totally and utterly stupid. There's no reason the kids should ever see the photos, and even if they did, it has nothing to do with the HP movies.

But heck, some parents won't let their kids even read the HP books because it represents the occult (my cousins won't let their kids read them for that reason). So who knows what goes on in the minds of some parents?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

[[Edited to clarify:]] Not directed at any Hatracker, but at stupid parents who can't realize that Daniel Radcliffe is an actor

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I still moan because I am going to basic training on july 17th...
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-ordered, but I'm too cheap to pay for shipping. Just as long as I don't have to make a trip to the post office to get my copy (the way I did last time), I'll be happy.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I called my mom at 12:30 when I found this out just to tell her about the release date. I was so excited! Yay! This summer is going to be AWESOME!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Die, Ginny Weasley, Die!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Die, Ginny Weasley, Die!
Is this a dearly held wish or a prediction? Or are you just saying "The Ginny Weasley, The!"? [Smile]

(I love Sideshow Bob)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's $35, it had better be about four inches thick. I may just have to get on my library's hold list.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dearly held wish. I loathe her.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Carri -- what on earth is so offensive about Ginny? To be honest, I don't even think she's developed enough to have much of an opinion about her except that she likes Harry and he only recently began to like her. Other than that we know she's Ron's sister and that she is apparently a pretty powerful witch.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
For those looking for a deal, I think Amazon is selling theirs for $18.99.

I don't like Ginny either. But I agree that its because Rowling hasn't really developed her. So far she's only been the damsel in distress, a powerful witch, and the object of Harry affection. It sounds like bad fanfiction to me. If Rowling would throw in some flaws or some genuinely annoying quirks, I might consider giving her a second-chance.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
For those looking for a deal, I think Amazon is selling theirs for $18.99.

Yep. And I imagine they're not the only ones.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.