FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Narnia 3: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader already greenlit!

Author Topic: Narnia 3: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader already greenlit!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Walden Media plans to film it soon after post production on "Caspian" starts...

*rubs knuckles*

Good...-very- good....

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it premature, but they know a good thing when they see it. Wardrobe was a massive success, and Caspian is assured to be as well, I'm surprised it wasn't already greenlit.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*grins lots*

Excellent.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hey, the kids are aging. Two and a half year gaps between all the Pevensie films would be a bad idea. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
How much time takes place in the real world between all the books?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

One year, real-world time. Except for The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, and The Last Battle....which would all probably have to be done -after- the "Caspian"/"Treader"/"Chair" films anyway.
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
But won't Tilda Swinton have aged too much to play Jadis by then ?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the nature of her character, I don't think it will make a huge difference if they end up casting a different actress in the Siver Chair and The Magician's Nephew. The tricky part will be having Lucy, Peter, and Edmund come back for The Last Battle six movies from now.

What would be cool is if it takes them 5 or so years to get to The Horse and His Boy, they can cast all the same actors as the Pevensies (though they'll all probably be big stars by then and will not want to have such small roles.)

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Dawn Treader with Eustace Clarence Scrubb!!! I'm so glad they're making it third. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
VDT is an awesome book.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by dh:

That all depends on when (if ever) The Magician's Nephew is filmed.

And if you've seen movies like X-3, you know that actors can be de-aged quite well with modern FX.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Given the nature of her character, I don't think it will make a huge difference if they end up casting a different actress in the Siver Chair and The Magician's Nephew.

Jadis isn't in The Silver Chair. I know the late-90s HarperCollins editions of the Chronicles claim the Lady of Green Kirtle/Green Witch was Jadis reincarnated...but neither the text of the book itself nor anything in Lewis' notes supported that interpretation. In the most recent editions the claim has been dropped.

As far as Peter, Edmund, & Lucy go, they don't turn up in The Last Battle until the coda in Aslan's Country, where ages are ambiguous. [Smile]

dh
Member # 6929

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by dh:

That all depends on when (if ever) The Magician's Nephew is filmed.

And if you've seen movies like X-3, you know that actors can be de-aged quite well with modern FX.

I suppose. I've never seen X-3, but I imagine there isn't much that they're not able to do these days.

I certainly hope they film it, though. It's one of my favourite books. And it would be weird with a different actress.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Given the nature of her character, I don't think it will make a huge difference if they end up casting a different actress in the Siver Chair and The Magician's Nephew.

Jadis isn't in The Silver Chair. I know the late-90s HarperCollins editions of the Chronicles claim the Lady of Green Kirtle/Green Witch was Jadis reincarnated...but neither the text of the book itself nor anything in Lewis' notes supported that interpretation. In the most recent editions the claim has been dropped.

As far as Peter, Edmund, & Lucy go, they don't turn up in The Last Battle until the coda in Aslan's Country, where ages are ambiguous. [Smile]

There is quite a bit of disagreement as to whether or not Jadis is the Green Witch. Even if they used an aged Tilda, it would still work, IMO. Besides, Tilda doesn't age too badly. I remember seeing her in The Beach a while ago and she still is just as hot today.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
There is quite a bit of disagreement as to whether or not Jadis is the Green Witch.

Only because of those darn late 90s HarperCollins editions making the claim that she was.

And as I said, the claim has been retracted, because both the books the Lewis' writings do not support this view.

The closest thing to a statement that Jadis -might- have been able to return in the Hag's speech in Prince Caspian...but that's not quite the same thing as proving the Lady was Jadis.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, didn't the owls also make a parallel? I mean, they didn't come out and say it was the same person, but they hinted they might be linked somehow.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

They said she was possibly "part of the same crew" as the White Witch. In other words, they were speculating she was a follower or a cohort from the time Jadis spent in the Northern Lands before she returned to conquer Narnia.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the only book from this series that I've read more than once. It was, by far, my favorite. I loved it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

quote:
quote:
There is quite a bit of disagreement as to whether or not Jadis is the Green Witch.

Only because of those darn late 90s HarperCollins editions making the claim that she was.

And as I said, the claim has been retracted, because both the books the Lewis' writings do not support this view.

The closest thing to a statement that Jadis -might- have been able to return in the Hag's speech in Prince Caspian...but that's not quite the same thing as proving the Lady was Jadis.

The versions I read in the late 70s/80s, I seem to have the impression that they too implied she was Jadis returned. That's the impression I always had until I read about the disagreement in the Companion to Narnia.

I think I didn't like Silver Chair because it covered the death of Prince Caspian. That always bothered me.

The Last Battle always scared me as a kid, but as I got older I understood the message more. It still kinda scares me, as all death does.

The reason I like VDT is that it focused on the wonders of the Narnia world, and the positives of Aslan and The Great Emperor's love. The chapter about Eustace turning into a dragon and Aslan "digging" him out was absolutely great.

[Big Grin]

dh
Member # 6929

I always liked the Magician's Nephew best, mainly because I wanted to explore the rest of Charn.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy CRAP I love these books. Just talking about them makes me want to read all of them again (for a grand total of a least 20, maybe even 30 times each since I was about seven years old.) My least favorite has always been Prince Caspian, and LWW being my second least. But trying to pin down which is my favorite from the remaining five is nigh impossible. No one ever calls The Horse and His Boy his or her favorite, but it's right up there with the others for me. And the Silver Chair is put down sometimes, but what would Narnia be without the respectable marshwiggle Puddleglum? Greatest character in the series, and that's a plain fact. Don't even argue with me on that one.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
The versions I read in the late 70s/80s, I seem to have the impression that they too implied she was Jadis returned. That's the impression I always had until I read about the disagreement in the Companion to Narnia.

The only content of the books changed after the 1980s editions were the deletion of differences between the UK and US editions...none of these differences had anything to do with Jadis or the Queen of Underland, so I'm not sure what you felt implied they were the same character.
stihl1
Member # 1562

I'm not sure either, that's always the impressions I had since I was a kid.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.