FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 18?

Author Topic: Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 18?
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HJ00020:@@@X

So the house passes this appropriations bill: http://www.rules.house.gov/110/text/110th_hjres20.pdf

Trying to find out what is going on with it in the Senate and don't understand this calendar no 18 thing. Anyone know what that is? I know there is pressure to pass it by the 15th.

http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i23/23a00101.htm
“After the House approved the spending bill (H.J. Res. 20), by a vote of 286 to 140, the measure moved to the Senate, which is under pressure to pass it by February 15. Congress adjourned its last session in December, under Republican control, without finishing most of the annual appropriations bills that finance the federal government, and a temporary spending measure is in place only until that date.”

And Bush is going to sign it: http://federaltimes.com/index.php?S=2528310

Here's the deal why I'm looking. I’ll just paste in the letter I sent to my Senators:

Dear Senators,
I am contacting you concerning HJ Res 20 with the Continuing Appropriations Resolution that was passed in the House last week. This bill provides funding for the Department of Justice, which in turn feeds to the contracts I am working on with my company for the FBI. These contracts have already been passed, but we cannot begin work on them until there is money to fund them.
These contracting companies have a lot of good people who are waiting to do their work. The companies I work with are looking at letting go of 30 people here in the next month if something isn’t done. We’ve already lost a number of excellent employees who had to go find work elsewhere. I can only imagine what has happened with all the contractors throughout the Justice Department.
I would encourage you to put this bill on the fast track for passage and allow us to continue our work of helping the FBI protect our country.
If you have any questions of me please feel free to contact me,
Thanks,

Jay

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Doing your bit for smaller government, I see. [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, not really since we’ll be behind on these projects and it’ll take more to catch up and a good possibility things will get done wrong since they are behind already.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its under General Orders, which is how most bills are considered in the Senate. The calendar # is just the order it will be considered in on the legislative calendar -- at 18, its very high on the list.

So nobody's trying to use scheduling rules to significantly delay it, at least.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=senate_calendar&docid=sc007

Feb. 1, 2007.--Read the second time and placed on the calendar.

So higher numbers are better? And palced on what calendar? When? Argh....

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, lower numbers are better. I meant high on the list imagining if you saw the list of bills in order to be considered in front of you. The numbers can get up to the hundreds and even thousands. 18 is a very low number, putting it very high on the list for consideration.

In the Senate, bills need a certain number of 'readings' to be placed on the calendar. Two, generally speaking, so that's perfectly normal.

The calendar is very simple. Its a list. The first bill placed on the calendar gets number one, the second number two, et cetera. That is also approximately the order the bills will be considered (there are a number of things that can mess it up), so at 18 the bill is very high on the list (it has a low number), and is likely to be considered soon.

Here's a PDF which might help you out a little: http://www.lieberman.senate.gov/documents/crs/senatebizcalendar.pdf

However, for the most part you don't need to care about any of that stuff. Just urge your senators to pass the bill quickly.

edit: I should point out that this was supposed to be the business of the last Congress, but was left along with a number of other relatively routine measures for this Congress to deal with, which has created a mild bottleneck.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So from that it’s just going to the floor. I guess that’s since it’s a joint resolution and has already been through all the committee work?
At least they have to do something by the 15th…….

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.