FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It looks so gross, but tastes so darn good!

Author Topic: It looks so gross, but tastes so darn good!
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I randomly decided to have a snack that my mom used to make for me when I was little and sick.

Lime jello and cottage cheese.

Its all neon green and dairy custards. I can't help staring at it while I swallow each yummy bite.

Something this gross-looking shouldn't taste this good. I don't even dare think how better it would be if Walmart hadn't only had sugar-free jello left.

I think I'm going to have it again for breakfast and freak out my roommate who hates all things green and made from milk.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
That not only sounds like it looks gross, it also just sounds gross.

For years my favourite food was a sandwich I invented which contained peanut butter (crunchy), mustard (regular), pickles (dill, not sweet) and cheese (preferably cheddar). My aunt once filmed me eating it to see if I would throw up. I didn't ; it's actually quite delicious. I never came up with a name for this sandwich though.

Which reminds me, I haven't had one in years.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, those sound foul.

I've eaten a herring whole; ok, nothing to write home about.

I love blue cheese and natto. (not together obviously)

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I've had BBQ turtle sandwhich.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds kind of good to me:)
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, I'd spread Marmite on one slice of bread and Nutella on another, then slap them together in a sandwich. Salt and chocolate are surprisingly good. Better than peanut butter and jelly.

And don't even get me started on black pudding. Mmmm, yummy blood. Haggis is nice, too.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to make peanut butter and pickle relish sammiches when I was a kid. I never thought of adding cheese, though. I don't know why, because I still (on rare occasion) will have a peanut butter sandwich with a slice of cheese on it (no relish, though.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Salt and chocolate are surprisingly good. Better than peanut butter and jelly.

I put potato chips in my chocolate pudding for just this reason.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a peanut-butter-and-salami sandwich kid, but the peanut butter mustard pickle one sounds great to me too.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a fan of peanut butter and Lays Sour Cream and Onion potato chips sandwiches. You have to squish it down before you eat to break the chips into lots of tiny pieces so it won't make a mess.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
And to go upscale:

Steam spinach; puree with olive oil and parmesan. You end up with something that looks like Calvin & Hobbs's talking spinach casserole, or worse.

Spoon it hot over grilled salmon.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
DAVID!! *tackles* I've missed you!! You and I have some catching up to do...

Erm, yeah. As far as gross food, I used to drink orange juice with everything. My favorite is orange juice and goldfish, but I drank it with chinese, mexican, and all sorts of weird stuff.

I will also put anything in yogurt. My favorite thing to do was goldfish crackers in any flavor yogurt. My college roommates thought I was crazy.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I helped eat a 26" pizza. It was huge.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
DAVID!! *tackles* I've missed you!! You and I have some catching up to do...

Erm, yeah. As far as gross food, I used to drink orange juice with everything. My favorite is orange juice and goldfish, but I drank it with chinese, mexican, and all sorts of weird stuff.

I will also put anything in yogurt. My favorite thing to do was goldfish crackers in any flavor yogurt. My college roommates thought I was crazy.

And here I thought I could just sneak back in and no one would notice. [Wink]

And, um... orange juice and goldfish? As in , live ones?

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
*fills in the hole*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt and sweet: Wendy's french fries dipped in Wendy's frosty. Mmmmmmmmm

My little brother and I used to mix various beverages together. One was Dr. Pepper, Kool-aid, and milk. (We were probably 7 and 4 at the time. Oh, we thought it was hilarious. I now think my mom was very wise to just pretend it wasn't happening...at least we were getting along.)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a Wendy's in town, I'd give myself a coronary from dipping those french fries in the frosty every single day.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter, mayo and lettuce. On Wonderbread.

Deliciously disgusting. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all need professional help. *shudder*

Welcome back, dh. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend eats pita bread with peanut butter and Pringles. It's not so much gross as just... random.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one of my favorites. Came up with it at a hamburger joint with a big pickle bar.

1 saltine cracker (salt side down)
Mayo on top of the cracker
1 slice of kosher dill pickle

The perfect balance of salt, sour and creamy

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a difference in taste between kosher dill pickles and regular dill pickles?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but I have never tried it. Since eating this thing (don't have a name for it) is almost a religious experience, I decided to stick with a holy pickle.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Kosher dill pickles are made with garlic.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Xan-
Member # 10091

- posted      Profile for -Xan-   Email -Xan-         Edit/Delete Post 
jalepaneos dipped in peanut butter, or jalepenos with pickles and cheese sandwich
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, we ALL noticed, David. You would have had to sneak in with a new username, if you wanted to play that game [Smile]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kosher Dill" is not a religious designation, it just means a dill pickle made with garlic.

<--- former Gedney Spokespickle.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarantella
Member # 9943

- posted      Profile for tarantella   Email tarantella         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad is king of gross foods. Last year he stunned us all by concocting what I now refer to as the "spamut butter pop-tart sandwich". I'll leave it to the reader to figure out the three components.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
peanut butter+cheese+honey sandwich= best sandwich EVER
and
fries+chocolate milkshake= [Big Grin]

some of my friends chugged a cup of hot sauce, salt, sugar, ranch dressing, sprite, sugar, cottage cheese, salsa, sugar, and what ever else we could find for 20 bucks. they almost puked.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
"Kosher Dill" is not a religious designation, it just means a dill pickle made with garlic.

And while most kosher dills are kosher, some are not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
MARMITE!!!!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do enjoy cheese, PB, mayo, tabasco, lettuce, pickle, sprout sandwiches though.

extra tasty with pepperoncinis.

oh, and larb. it is a lao food.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That's weird. When I buy garlic pickles, it just says "garlic" on the label. Or "garlic & dill". I've never seen a jar of pickles that said koscher to mean garlic. Are you sure that's not just some local thing?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Food can also be quite kosher in preparation, with the commercial product maker just refusing to pay a BIG fee to an official kosher inspector for an official kosher designation.

[ February 09, 2007, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
quote:

That's weird. When I buy garlic pickles, it just says "garlic" on the label. Or "garlic & dill". I've never seen a jar of pickles that said kosher to mean garlic. Are you sure that's not just some local thing?
Given that at least three national brands use the term "kosher dill," I'm going to go with it not being merely a local phenomenon.

aspectre, the fees for supervision (especially for such things as pickles and other canned/jarred veggies, which require minimal supervision), are not that high. You haven't been listening to those "kosher tax" idiots, have you?

Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things that look so gross and taste so damn good and are not kosher so rivka wouldn't know, are lobster and crawdad. I can't eat them unless someone else has done the preparation in lobster salad or soup (or crab cakes), by which time the visual effect is gone.

Another thing, purportedly, is raw oysters, which I've never had the stomach to try, though I have testimony from other people that they're delicious. I do like the cooked ones, which also look gross.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shudder*
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I love oysters--raw or cooked.

MmmmmMmmm Good.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooked oysters? Why cook them?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.