FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What SF Author Are You? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What SF Author Are You?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Brunner's one I've never really warmed to. I mean, he's okay, but his most famous books have never really done anything for me at all. Stand on Zanzibar? The Sheep Look Up? Meh. I found them unapproachable in much the same way that Delaney can be (but isn't always) unapproachable.

Of course, I haven't read either of those since I was about 19, so maybe I'd appreciate them more now. I would love to have someone who really likes his stuff post about why they like it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I'm Philip K. Dick.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs)

A quiet and underrated master of "hard science" fiction who, among other things, foresaw integrated circuits back in the 1940s.

No clue who this is...

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Arthur C. Clarke.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Philip José Farmer
This prolific author brings surprising depths to he-man adventure tales, and broke science fiction's prudery barrier.

Okay, that totally doesn't sound right. I wanted to be Ursula. :cries:
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Frank Herbert, but I didn't like that, so I tweaked some of the answers that I was on the fence about. Now I'm John Brunner.

I don't know that that is any better. [Frown]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur C. Clarke

Hmm.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I took it again, and this time I was Robert A. Heinlein
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
William Gibson.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory Benford. Never heard of him.

Edit: And apparently, changing my view of patriotism from International to pro-USA turns me into Frank Herbert.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Jules Verne.

How appropriate, that's who I'm reading at the moment.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I am:

quote:
Samuel R. "Chip" Delany
Few have had such broad commercial success with aggressively experimental prose techniques.

No idea who that is since I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but I like the sound of him.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs)
A quiet and underrated master of "hard science" fiction who, among other things, foresaw integrated circuits back in the 1940s."

Hmmm. Never read anything by him.

*puzzles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur C. Clarke as well.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I am:

quote:
Samuel R. "Chip" Delany
Few have had such broad commercial success with aggressively experimental prose techniques.

No idea who that is since I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but I like the sound of him.
Shanna, he's brilliant. Very energetic and memorable characterizations.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE]Shanna, he's brilliant. Very energetic and memorable characterizations.[/QUOTE]

Cool! Any specific titles to check out? I need reasons to avoid doing homework.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Is Douglas Adams an option?
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 'Chip' Delany... Never heard of him, but I like the description.

Oh, and in the classical composer one, I'm Charles Ives... I recognize the name, but it isn't ringing any bells... I hope he wasn't into pantonality or anything. I do *not* admire the art of taking mathematical equations and making them into music... The only thing I hate worse is atonality. That said, I hate recycled cliche stuff too.

This is assuming that Charles Ives wrote that stuff (Not the recycled stuff, the pantonality and atonality).

Wow, I went off topic. Imagine how long this post would be if I thought I knew who 'Delaney' was.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Asimov here. [Dont Know] I think I'm more like other authors which of course aren't in the list.

I know - I'm me! (mad cackle) HaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody can be me. I keep me to myself!!! Don't try to copy - you will be unsuccessful!

[Eek!] [Big Grin]

(Explanatory note: I just finished a Flash Fiction Friday that I should have done months ago and I'm feeling a bit, I don't know, pleased with myself. And weird.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
TheGrimace wrote:

quote:
Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs), whom I've never heard of, but sounds interesting. Can anyone reccomend anything of his?
Well, I guess I am Hal Clement too. Which I was rather pleased to find out. I have copies of almost every story Mr. Clement has written and have read all but a few of them. One of my goals in life is to get my hands on all of them. So there is some kind of affinity there or something. Or maybe not. Who knows.

Anyway, my recommendation to my fellow Hal Clement persons, ie. TheGrimace, JLM, Shan, Kojahu, and Claudia Therese would be to start with one of these three novels. “Mission of Gravity” ; “Needle” ; or “Still River.” But be prepared for some heavy-duty weird conditions on the worlds Clements creates. He was a professor of chemistry and he writes about how conditions might be and life forms that might exist in extreme cold, high gravity, extreme heat, high pressure, etc. He was definitely one of the Hard Science Fiction genre guys.

Come to think of it though, “Needle” takes place on earth, so the conditions aren’t as “alien” as his other stuff.

Anyway, all of his stories are good reads.

[ February 07, 2007, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Samuel Bush ]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Aasimov. I guess I can see that in myself, potentially. I don't think I am like him, but I do think I could be, given the right ... stimuli. Literarily, the Foundation series was alright, but I absolutely adored The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun and I think the one after that, though I can't remember it so it obviously wasn't all that great. Daneel Olivaw is the MAN! (pun intended)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Which Office Supply Are You Quiz, I'm heavyweight (44 lb) cream white laser printable paper stock, for covers on lengthy documents.

On the Which House Paint Are You Quiz, I am homemade lime-and-water whitewash a la Tom Sawyer

(Still used at the White House.)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm William Gibson. Cyberpunk all the way, baby.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would put OSC in there. Then we could find out whether these writers would get themselves. I got Isaac Asimov by answering the questions as honestly as I could based on my own personality. And I was happy to get him, but I have to wonder whether Isaac Asimov, answering the questions honestly, would have gotten the same result. There were a number of questions where I'm sure he would not have picked the same answer I did.

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
On the Which Office Supply Are You Quiz, I'm heavyweight (44 lb) cream white laser printable paper stock, for covers on lengthy documents.

Huh. I am a rolodex. ("Somehow this perennial data organizing device never quite succumbs to the digital age.") I find that kind of funny, considering just a couple weeks ago I asked the supply officer if we had any rolodex cards in stock, and she said she didn't keep them in stock but she could order some specially for me. Apparently I'm the only one in my department who still uses one. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Office supply: a stack of blank CD-R discs

House Paint: Longs Drugs "Goth Black" matte interior latex -- For the ultimate (but affordable) gloom&doom bedroom.

Those quizes are great! Especially the paint one. This may be my favorite multiple choice question of all time...

quote:
7) Ten animal crackers analyzing a pool table's finitistic tendency to somnambulism.
1. Because the road was itself a path to the Other Side.
2. Dogs can't really play poker. That's just pretend.
3. Our vertical market integration and broad customer footprint yields unmatched branding potential.
4. Ooooohh yeah. Yeah, baby. Now about an inch lower...
5. Go fish.
6. Some 192 data points were collected for differing indices of enzyme expression, subject excitation, and volume of gas produced.
7. A big steaming bowl of poop with a wooden spoon in it.
8. Why a duck?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Greg Benford.

And, according to the quiz: "The real Greg Benford once took this quiz, and it told him he was Arthur C. Clarke."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
"The real Greg Benford once took this quiz, and it told him he was Arthur C. Clarke."

[ROFL]
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm H.G. Wells. Yay!
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm paper clips?!? O_o

Ok, I adjusted one question I had been on the fence about, and now I'm
quote:
an Ibico® KomboTM lever-operated punch for making a row of rectangular holes in a stack of paper and fitting a plastic "comb" binding into them

If you haven't seen one in use, you'd probably have no idea what it is.

Much better. [Big Grin] And the funny thing is, I know exactly what that is, because I used one (different brand, though) quite a lot about 14 months ago.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a rolodex. Which is funny, because I'm not exactly sure what a rolodex is.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan, Euripides and Epictetus... We're all rowing the same boat...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charles_martel
Member # 10172

- posted      Profile for charles_martel   Email charles_martel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a first: Kurt Vonnegut.
I guess that means I'm unique, but as it's Vonnegut, that's more "strange and depressed"...
Good writer, though.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Heinlein, which I find rather disturbing. I don't think I would have liked Heinlein all that much in real life.

However, I answered "Al" on the 2000 election question, despite the fact I couldn't vote at the time, so Heinlein doesn't depend on that.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I'm paper clips?!? O_o

I liked that movie!
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
A pirated copy of a spreadsheet program
complete with a photo of a CD on which the following was scribbled; M$ 2K Expel Pro (upgrade) (ha ha!)

Do you really expect us to buy 92 copies of the same CD when one works just fine?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein thank the gods...
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
H.G. Wells.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I'm paper clips?!? O_o

I liked that movie!
Oh, excellent point! I did too. [Smile]

OK, I withdraw my objection to being paper clips. I still think the spiral-bound-assembler is more me, though. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
- Ayn Rand, initially. Arthur C. Clarke, usually. Ursula K. LeGuin, ideally.
- A Stack of Blank CD-R Discs
- Benjamin Moore "Royal Evening Baja Avocado" gloss interior acrylic latex

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
However, I answered "Al" on the 2000 election question, despite the fact I couldn't vote at the time, so Heinlein doesn't depend on that.

Good to know. Were your other answers the same as mine?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
I am yet another Gregory Benford who hasn't read any Gregory Benford. [Dont Know]
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:

Good to know. Were your other answers the same as mine?
I answered 6,7,9, and 11 the same, the rest differently.

Gregory Benford was one of the authors I tried in my recent attempt to find new authors I liked. His books were certainly better than some of the others (Gordon R. Dickinson *shudders*) but I just didn't care enough to get past the first 3 chapters. Part of the problem was his characters didn't seem to have any motivation for how they felt, so I couldn't really connect to them.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.