FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guesses on the resource consumption of the manufacture and transport of bottled water

Author Topic: Guesses on the resource consumption of the manufacture and transport of bottled water
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, popURL junkies will have already seen this, but here is a post on the amount of resources the manufacture and transport of Fiji bottled water consumes.

quote:
In summary, the manufacture and transport of that one kilogram bottle of Fiji water consumed 26.88 kilograms of water (7.1 gallons) .849 Kilograms of fossil fuel (one litre or .26 gal) and emitted 562 grams of Greenhouse Gases (1.2 pounds).
[Edit to add Fiji label]

[ February 08, 2007, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, most bottled water doesn't travel nearly as far. Second of all, I want to see the research, not just a summary.

Third of all, I've tasted Fiji, and it's totally not worth it. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I only drink bottled water when I don't have access to a tap and a reasonably clean cup. And when I do, it's usually Avian or whatever it is they have in the Coke machines.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the bottled water available to my town, and the rest of the country, actually comes from within 150 miles of my house. (so I have been told.)
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

The article does have a link to the original figures, but admittedly not a proper report.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, but look how incredibly full of guesses and assumptions -- some of which have been pointed out by commenters -- that is! No sources given for any of the numbers given either. [Razz]

That's not science. It's fancy guessing.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dh:
I only drink bottled water when I don't have access to a tap and a reasonably clean cup. And when I do, it's usually Avian or whatever it is they have in the Coke machines.

I REALLY hope you mean Evian, because there's a fairly drastic difference between that and this.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

No, I actually enjoy drinking the occasional liquified bird.

(Um, yeah, I meant Evian.) [Embarrassed]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
No, I actually enjoy drinking the occasional liquefied bird.

Chicken soup! [Big Grin]
dh
Member # 6929

With a slightly thicker consistency. [Smile]
Euripides
Member # 9315

Title fixorized.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I drink bottled water a lot. I've been refilling 1 liter plastic water bottles with filtered water from my fridge for a couple of years now.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here Karl.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you sterilize them? I hate not being able to actually wash them because of the tiny neck.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I fill a washable glass jug with tap water and keep it in the fridge.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Go go filtered tap water!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some concern raised because the disposable bottles weren't designed for reuse (i.e., not plastic that was tested for long-term use). I do not know enough to comment on this, but I did switch to refilling a glass bottle.

Dagonee, I run my glass bottles [from Snapple iced tea, actually] upside down through the dishwasher. Occasionally I rinse with very diluted bleach and allow to dry completely, then rinse with water again.

--------

About.com with link to Snopes' Bottle Royale. And Deseret News weighs in with specific appropriate citations.

On the other hand, my alma mater still discourages reuse. Given my own generalized prejudices against plastic, I think I'll stick with glass.

However, I didn't want to leave this post hanging when the rumor had been addressed pretty thoroughly elsewhere on the web.

[ February 08, 2007, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Occasionally I rinse with very diluted bleach and allow to dry completely, then rinse with water again.
That's how you clean beer bottles.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Periodically I put scalding water in a cup (we have "instant hot water") and invert the bottle into the cup, squeeze out some air and let the bottle sit like that for a minute or so. I'll also put some scalding water into the bottle and shake it around.

I'll admit I'm not too anal about sterilization, though. I will do this if there is even the slightest hint of any odor or the neck looks even the slightest bit unclean, but otherwise I only do this every few days. I also often use Crystal Lite (or similar) powder packets with my water bottle. I'll clean it out as above between fillings if I've used any flavoring in it.

Also, I buy Sam's Choice Clear American "Sparkling Water Beverage" rather frequently and I'll re-use those as water bottles, so I often don't reuse the same bottle enough for it to get nasty. (YMMV, of course).

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
quote:
Occasionally I rinse with very diluted bleach and allow to dry completely, then rinse with water again.
That's how you clean beer bottles.
I know. *grin

I used to brew. Do you, too?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info everyone.

BTW, I'm loving the ad at the bottom of the page for the restaurant supply store.

Dinnerware is cheap there (as long as you buy 2 dozen of each piece at a time). Next time I buy dishes, I'm going there and either donating or finding someone to split an order with me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I have plenty of dinnerware, but I'm sorely tempted by the home-size margarita mixer. [Wink]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I use to brew, but haven't in quite a while. Every year, I mean to pull it out of the attic and brew some, but never get around to it. Stupid life getting in my way.

If you always store that reusable plastic bottle in the fridge, will it get all germy? Just curious since I always use a glass and water from the tap. My water tasting taste buds are pretty unrefined.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Refrigerators do not sterilize or kill germs. Cold temperatures (fridge level anyway) only retard germ/bacteria/mold growth, which is why food lasts longer in the fridge than outside the fridge, but does not last indefinitely.

Keeping a re-used plastic bottle in the fridge should retard the accumulation of bacteria, but it won't remove or kill bacteria already present.

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, an opportunity to plug one of my favorite products: the Nalgene . Holds water, washes well, virtually indestructable.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Nalgene bottles. And, if you make your kids do the dishes, their hands fit in the bottle all the way to the bottom. Up with forced child labor.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
San Jose' water is the nastiest water in the known universe.

Our ice cubes develop this waxy build up so we have to empty the built in ice tray in the freezer every so often or we'll have waxy stuff floating in our beverage.

Plus there's this road tar/toxic waste taste that comes and goes.

Filtering doesn't do a lot of good, but it will make it drinkable in coffee.

So we mostly drink bottle water.

Back home, in Arkansas, tap water tasted like tap water was supposed to taste! Clean and clear with just a hint of algae.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have plenty of dinnerware, but I'm sorely tempted by the home-size margarita mixer.
[Eek!]

That is awesome!

We wants it, Prescious, we does...

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what they are called, but Tiffany and I have one of those pitchers with the filter on the top. You fill it with water and it pours through the filter into the bottom section of the pitcher.

It drove me nuts that Tiffany while we were dating wanted water but refused to drink any from my refrigerator. Once I tried some of her filtered water I wondered no more, I was living in filthy sin.

Ill still drink from the hose though if I am really thirsty [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
an odd experience: I keep being tempted to call up the manufacturer of this bottle of water I have and commend them. I've had a plastic gallon jug of Aspen (or some other mountain-oriented-brand) bottled water in the trunk of my car for going on 4 years now for emergencies. That just has gone through dozens of freezing cycles, has been tossed around the trunk (often with other objects posessing hard pointy edges etc) and has yet to show any sign of wear or leakage... I'm sure these things aren't designed/tested for nearly this kind of beating, quite impressive
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Title fixorized.

[Laugh] [Hat]
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Up with forced child labor.

Hear, hear! [Big Grin]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
At home (near Houston), I drink tap water for the most part. Tap water tastes normal (although occasionally there's too much calcium in it for my tastes). At school (up near Dallas) though, I don't care for the way the tap water tastes. It tastes off to me. So I typically buy bottled water.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Portland Oregonian...

Bottled Water Recycling

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking this morning that despite how suspicious and resentful I am of the bottled water industry in general, I no longer am willing to drink tap water or even use it in coffee or tea. Of course, I have a fridge that filters water, so I am not buying it all from Naive--er, I mean Evian. But when I'm away from home I buy Aquafina or Dasani. (I actually greatly prefer filtered water to spring water; I find the taste of spring water actively nasty.) So somehow they have managed to brainwash me. Or something.

Oddly enough, I don't think twice about drinking ice water in restaurants, which is basically . . . tap water. I guess I'm willing to pay for a bottle of water from a convenience store, but I feel like I'm paying for the convenience--otherwise a buck for two cups of water is an outrage, neh? So I just can't justify those kinds of prices to myself when I go to a restaurant. Convenience isn't an issue, so purified water shouldn't cost more than a buck a gallon or so. Still, not that I'm thinking about it, I'll probably find myself grossed out by restaurant iced water as well.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't trust the tap water here.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still drink straight tap water.

On road trips, I even fill up my water bottle in the gas station bathroom.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Our tap water tastes like bleach, I use a britta pitcher to filter it and drink a lot of aquafina.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
quote:
I have plenty of dinnerware, but I'm sorely tempted by the home-size margarita mixer.
[Eek!]

That is awesome!

We wants it, Prescious, we does...

*cough*

(<3 shameless plugs for companies I work for)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Can that thing do daiquiris too?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Can that thing do daiquiris too?

Yeahuh.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ooooh. *covets*
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
Portland Oregonian...

Bottled Water Recycling

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
??

rivka
Member # 4859

There's an extra http// in there.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ahhh.

new link

[/lazy AND technophobe]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Given typical values for fuel efficiency for heavy trucks. Shipping one liter of water 100 miles, will use ~ 0.02 L of diesel fuel and result in the emission of ~ 57 g of CO2.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to pop in and say that every time I see the title of this thread, my eyes immediately go to "bottled water" and I start to become very very thirsty. Thanks a lot Euripides. [Razz]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.