FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They had to do a study to figure this out?

Author Topic: They had to do a study to figure this out?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070208/hl_nm/men_sweat_dc

quote:

Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley said women who sniffed a chemical found in male sweat experienced elevated levels of an important hormone, along with higher sexual arousal, faster heart rate and other effects.

Ok, so maybe it's bad reporting and the study is about the specific chemical... but "Sweaty Guy Smell Turns Women On?" Duh!

Who among us hasn't been minding her own business when a really stinky guy walked by and found herself drawn to the repulsive, yet alluring muskiness?

Don't they have anything better to do in Berkeley like protest something?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! No more deoderant for me!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This was the first time that smelling a specific chemical secreted by people was shown to affect hormonal levels, the researchers said. The women had no skin contact with androstadienone.
That sounds kind of significant to me.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk: Unfortunately, other studies have shown that that only works for women with compatable immune systems (don't make me dig up a link. I'm lazy) so you'll be offending more women than you'll be alluring.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Well, right now I'm alluring zero women with Arrid XX, so maybe I'll bring in one lucky lady with Vonkfunk.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

squick: Ok.. I confess... I just wanted to talk about sweaty, stinky guys....
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
And make an unjustified attack on those crazy intellectuals. Let's never forget that.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, right now I'm alluring zero women with Arrid XX, so maybe I'll bring in one lucky lady with Vonkfunk.
[ROFL]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so you'll be offending more women than you'll be alluring.
Who cares how many he's offending, as long as he's alluring to enough?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Squick: True, poking fun at Berkeley is always a hoot.

Thank you for making this thread un-fun.

vonk: "vonkfunk" is a great word =)

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"And make an unjustified attack on those crazy intellectuals."

Stinky intellectuals, stinky intellectuals. We are talkin' about Berzerkeley.
If they showered, they woulda never hadda find an excuse for why not showering is better.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

[Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley said women who sniffed a chemical found in male sweat experienced elevated levels of an important hormone, along with higher sexual arousal
Sure they had to do a study. The researchers had never seen the movie "Porky's" [Big Grin]

(wow - I think that's the right movie. Now I'm doubting myself..)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

FG: I Have to admit, I've never seen Porkys =)
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought pheromones were always through smell and touch? Unless I just sort of made a connection when I realized how good sweaty guys smell...

Now, let me make a major addition to that: A guy who's just gotten done working out smells good, IMHO. A guy who's been working out every day for three weeks and hasn't showered in between? Not so good.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
so you'll be offending more women than you'll be alluring.
Who cares how many he's offending, as long as he's alluring to enough?
60% of the time, it works every time.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it depends on the woman. Guy sweat? Um, no thanks.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it depends on the man. Boromir, yes. Gollum, no.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
One particular man...goodness yes! Other men...not so much. Especially stale.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Sweet! No more deoderant for me!

No, no. Sweaty guy tang PLUS a sexy deodorant is even better than sweaty guy tang alone.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Something in my husband's current deodorant is a definite aphrodisiac for me.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn that once upon a time they did a study that said most women reported that their favorite scent on a man was soap. Of course, that study was based on question and answer feedback whereas this one sounds like they plugged women up and took physical readings. Still, I'd rather have a fresh-from-the-shower man any day of the week!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Xan-
Member # 10091

- posted      Profile for -Xan-   Email -Xan-         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats because you have yet to find the appropiate man-stink for you.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I'd be interested in sweaty guy chemicals, but whatever.

The thing about studies that seem obvious at first is that sometimes you get an answer that's counter-intuitive. Just because we think we know something doesn't mean we're right. Subjective experience isn't always confirmed by experimentation.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
/Davin

I thought a woman's favorite scent was the smell of crushed dreams mixed with the tangy afterscent of despair.

/Davin

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, I'd rather have a fresh-from-the-shower man any day of the week!
Oh me too! That fresh from the shower, when his hair is still wet....

Shame my hubby is at work right now, if he were here I might have to suggest it's time for a shower. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I thought was a cool idea - a deodorant that smells like Irish Spring. Since that's the soap we use, not only does it work nicely as a deodorant but I feel, subconsciously, cleaner all day. Good stuff.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Something I thought was a cool idea - a deodorant that smells like Irish Spring. Since that's the soap we use, not only does it work nicely as a deodorant but I feel, subconsciously, cleaner all day. Good stuff.

haha! Back when I bought my own soap I had the exact same idea, Tiffany insists on using Dove so I decided to concede rather then make it an issue.

As for odors, some days Tiffany loves my natural aroma including the smell of my sweat. Other days she hates it, so whether I use it or not, I lose on occasion.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm repulsed by the smell of most deodorants, myself. If I wear a scented deodorant, by the end of the day the back of my throat and the mucus membranes in my nose feel kind of scorched. Not surprisingly, I always use unscented.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the two people involved. I had a girlfriend once that had the most amazing personal odor. Not the unwashed sweaty smell after working out, but her scent say at the end of the day or just after waking up. It would drive me nuts and pretty much put one thing on my mind.

I mentioned it to her and she said no one else had ever said anything. And no one else's scent has ever affected me to that degree.

Of course none of that kept her from being a ..., kept things from working out.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I wash myself with This body soap and use This particular type of deodorant. They don't look it, but they go well together.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Teresa has a personal scent I can't get enough of, especially around her hair and the nape of the neck. She just tells me I'm crazy. It works out.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
especially around her hair and the nape of the neck.
yea, thats the spot....

women definately smell good there

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
VonkFunk - makes me think of Bootsey Collins.

Yeah baby, the mothership has landed!

*grabs coat, hails taxi*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I just steal whatever bottles of deodorant are stocked in my dad's medicine cabinet. *sniff* Unscented.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.