Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time:

Author Topic: Time:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Time goes so quickly. Dunno. It just seems like every day is already the next day; I wake up, and the day is over, just like that. I suppose this is fantastic in a way. The clockwork of life are working smoothly.

Yet, in a way, it is terrifying. Things that seemed to be happening "a short while ago" sleep months back in the past. Today, like all those other days, will vanish; and it seems like the pace of this "vanishing" is only increasing.

:/

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Is marching on.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
It's rolling like a river, to the sea.

(What's the scary aspect?)

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
It runs like a river,
It runs like the sea,
It runs like a river runs to the sea.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Ticking away the moments that make up the dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

Time - Pink Floyd

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
is a face on the water.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
On a more serious note, I understand exactly what you're talking about. A literally remember experiences from months ago as if they happened just yesterday. It motivates me to get my life together, since I now realize that I have only a hundred years--or less--before I kick the bucket.

The years are going by really fast. I can't believe I've already had eighteen of them.

And yes, this rate of time does increase. Infinitely so. I'll be racing to my grave.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

It saddens me.

I am also 18, and I feel like my Senior year just started and already people are preparing for the end of the year. A lot of my friends have been accepted to college and I am waiting for the acceptance letter, having been already notified online...

I feel like I need to start hurrying up and getting stuff done.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The scary part?

Well, I'm gonna be dead soon. I'm gonna get myself into some horrid routine, meaningless life. I'm gonna not live a fulfiling life. My entire life is going to flash by.

Hyperbole, a little [Razz] .

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
is of the essence.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a discussion sort of like this with my father back around Christmas. When I was a kid, time seemed to stretch on and on. The school week was so long, summer vacation was so long, the years just stretched out. Now I'm in college (only a few more months then I'm out), and it just seems like everything goes by in a blur. I really don't feel like I've been going to school 5 weeks already; it feels more like 2 weeks at most. It seems like I wake up on Monday and it's time for school then in the blink of an eye it's Friday, school's over for the week, and I'm off working on my other projects. It often feels like there's just never enough time to do everything I want to do. I guess that's just how it is though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dood. Do not scare me like that, seriously.

Also, it sucks that there's just a sliver of time between coming home from work and bed. It seems ashame to have to spend that little bit of time CLEANING! I hate cleaning!
I just want to chill out and relax.
Literally, because it's really cold in here, but no, I got to clean. Sucks.
It doesn't even look any better either, which is the worse.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Sounds pretty scary.

Time will wait for no one
To get the day's work done
We're in this boat together
You know, one and one and one ain't one
And there's no future in the past

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe once there are more experiences to compare things to, it doesn't seem as brand new. Maybe it just doesn't leave as great a mark in our memories and so the time seems to move faster. Seems to move faster because our brains have a 'place' for the memories - but actually moves at the same pace?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

I think I have been trying to overcome that feeling by doing lots of stuff...

I became a volunteer firefighter, have competed in two science tournaments, I am debating, and joined the ARNG...

I think I am scrambling.

AaaaahhH!!!!

charles_martel
Member # 10172

- posted      Profile for charles_martel   Email charles_martel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, scrambling to get things done before you die....at 18.

All joking aside, I understand that too (I'm 17). It's like what Phanto said:

"Well, I'm gonna be dead soon. I'm gonna get myself into some horrid routine, meaningless life. I'm gonna not live a fulfiling life. My entire life is going to flash by."

Except for me it doesn't feel like hyperbole: I look around at adults I know and wonder if they're happy with their routine boring lives, or if they ever feel any urge to do anything great. One of my greatest fears is that I'll be like that, and that I'm just wasting time now, treading water, posting on forums like this and Ornery American.

(I'll probably still post, though.)

It seems to me that all people have this desire, whether they think about it or not; and also that when we're young, we expect more, and so we feel it more clearly.
(That may not be true, as I have obviously never been any older than my current age.)

Martel the Hammer

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
is the essence of being . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
is on my side. Yes, it is.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Time is an allusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Time is.

Time is an opera in a language one doesn't understand. You can hear the beauty, you can make educated guesses about what's going on, but try as you might, you'll never understand it. Also, you'll fall asleep in the third act, only to awaken to the gentleman behind you prodding you in the back of your head with a rather sharp pencil. Won't do that again, will you?

To a child, time is a dictator. To an adolesent, time is an excuse. To a young adult, time is a forgotten friend.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
what happens after young adult? Does time stop?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

No. opposite.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
...is a news and current affairs magazine.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is a face on the water.
I luuuv that quote! Gunslinger all the way!

"...is on my side.
Yes, it is!"

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ti-i-i-ime is on my side...

Tempus fugit.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme...

-- Nine Inch Nails

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
what happens after young adult? Does time stop?

I haven't really experienced it to be sure. I'm pretty sure time then becomes an enemy, and then old friend, but what do I know? [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, 18.

Wait till you get a regular job, when you don't have a change in schedule every semester or year, where you don't get a few weeks off at Christmas, a few months over the summer. Even if you work when your not it school it is a change of pace, something you can use to mark the passing of time.

In the work force as soon as you finish working on one project you start the next, not next week, not tomorrow, as soon as you finish it, and you'll have many, many projects going on at the same time. I am not saying this to make work sound bad, I am just saying all of it makes time go by really fast.

It all blends together. You start realizing songs you think of as new are 5 years old. Young people you work with remind you movies you love, like Shawshank, came out while they were in fifth grade.

I am only 34 but I am starting to catch a glimpse of how fast the next 34 will go by.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's astounding, time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
But listen closely, not for very much longer
I've got to keep control

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

If your life has no purpose, I guess that's true no matter how long it lasts.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains. I would drink deeper; fish in the sky, whose bottom is pebbly with stars.
-HDT, Walden
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Time is fickle, as the sky in winter
And two hearts are always better than one
Love has the wings of a tireless angel
She'll stay beside you 'til the day is done

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.