FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dystopia in Fiction

Author Topic: Dystopia in Fiction
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know any good books/studies/essays on the subject of dystopias portrayed in film or literature, preferably in the late 20th century? (Alternatively cacotopias or anti-utopias)

I'm thinking about using it as a topic for a writing contest. My primary interest is in the way they are used to provide social commentary.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean dystopic novels, etc, or a book which analyzes dystopia in fiction? If you're looking for actual dystopian literature of the 20th century, I don't think you can do much better than Vonnegut, particularly Harrison Bergeron (short story), Welcome to the Monkey House (short story), and Player Piano (novel). But if you're looking for an analysis of the genre, I'm not sure I can help you, though I did write a paper on it a few years ago. Unfortunately it's at my home and I am not, so my resources are unreachable.

Edit: Though you might try doing some research on Vonnegut and see if he's written anything that might be of use. I seem to recall seeing something or other by him at one point that analyzed his genre, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thank you good doctor. [Smile] . Vonnegut's non-fiction wouldn't be a bad place to look. And for some reason I still haven't read the short stories you listed.

Sorry I wasn't clear; I'm looking for books which analyse dystopia in fiction.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Vonnegut.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
There must surely be a vast critical literature on 1984.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean they're putting the I Love the 80's series into print?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd need to pick a few particular dystopias. The subject of how dystopias in general are used to criticize existing social trends is too broad to be very meaningful, because you can't get specific. You should be able to find some stuff about Orwell and 1984. Then try a dystopia that's completely different, like the future in Blade Runner, see what you can dig up on PKD. Or you might try something else...should try something else.

If you can pick two or three well known and fundamentally different dystopias to compare, you'll have a good number of sources.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like what your looking for.

The Dystopian Impulse in Modern Literature: Fiction as Social Criticism, M. Keith Booker

link

and

DYSTOPIAN LITERATURE: A Theory and Research Guide, M. Keith Booker

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
My primary interest is in the way they are used to provide social commentary.

How could they not be? (Honest question -- I think I may be missing something here.) By definition, they are commentaries on society.

---

Edited to add: "whether" =/ "the way" *sheepish grin

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks Rabbit. I'll check those out.

CT: I thought about that when I was typing it. Perhaps it would be possible to do a stylistic study on dystopic films, or something of that nature? Either way it leads to social commentary, I know.

Right now I'm thinking; 1984, Brave New World, Vonnegut (dystopic, but usually humorous too), PKD, Blade Runner, Dark City, The Matrix, with the door open for passing references to other texts (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, even jumping into other media like plays or even computer games). I'll amend the list as soon as I start reading up, I'm sure.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.