FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek might get the Clone Wars treatment (the cartoon, not the movie)

Author Topic: Star Trek might get the Clone Wars treatment (the cartoon, not the movie)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So my fellow trekkies, what do we think of this?

I like the general idea of doing a miniseries of cartoons like Star Wars had with Clone Wars, and the idea of this being set so far in the future is interesting, but I have reservations.

I have no problem with moving the series forward, but THAT far forward? Might be a little bit drastic. I like the idea of doing a cartoon that takes place right at the end of Voyager. Let us know how we're dealing with the battered remains of Cardassia, Romulus and Qo'nos, how the new technology Janeway brought back from the future is being integrated, how the new ship types effect the war effort, how the Borg are doing after a rather massive defeat at the hands of Voyager. There's a lot of open endedness that was left when Voyager ended, and we only know a little bit about it from Insurrection and Nemesis.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this idea has been hanging around for a couple of months now. I've seen it on Hatrack before.

I don't think I'd care much for a cartoon. Yes, I hate that there's not much in the way of Trek going on at the moment, but it's got to be live action or nothing for me.
Having said that, I like the idea of a darker, angsty, but hopeful future for that universe. But I think that should probably be the theme of the next actual series, not a few animated shorts.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted about this back in December.

All I remember is that it degenerated into a discussion about Janeway.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a huge Trek person. I watch it and occasionally read some of the books, but I'm not a diehard by any means. With that in mind, I don't think an animated show would be a bad thing. I think, done the right way, it could be quite cool. As for it being so far in the future, it doesn't bother me too much. I mean yeah, there are some things I wish were covered, but it's fine with me if we hear about that stuff in backstory or side stories or something.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I posted about this back in December.

All I remember is that it degenerated into a discussion about Janeway.

My bad, I didn't remember it at all, and I must have posted in it, because I never miss a Star anything thread.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with Janeway?

[Razz]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this sounds like it could be really cool. I have been a bit unhappy with how Star Trek has developed since TNG ended, and this looks like something new that could revitalize the whole thing. I like the idea of a darker Trek universe. I also have nothing against animation so long as they don't turn it into a kiddie show. I'll be watching this closely.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of pretending that Voyager never happened, and picking up at the end of DS9.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'm much more uneasy about this rumoured Star Trex XI movie, which apparently is going to be a prequel with a recast Kirk and Spock. The chances of such a movie being an utter disaster are quite high in my opinion. Much as it sucked, I think Nemesis left alot of possibilities open to make some good stories that follow up on the events of that movie, dealing with the internal politics and turmoil of the Romulan Empire and the impact that would have on the Federation, etc.

I also don't think they should worry about making a TNG movie or a DS9 movie. They currently have an available pool of characters from three different shows that happened within a similar time period, so they could just make it a Trek movie and use whichever characters, old or new, that they would need to make it a good story, without being limited by the confines of one or another of the series.

But yeah, that was a bit off-topic.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Too cute a GoogleAd to lose: Robonova from RoboSavvy

BTW: The videos load a lot faster directly from YouTube than from RoboSavvy.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
No talking animals or cutesy inanimate animated objects? Then I'm in.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remember Puffy Treat's post about this. I also remember not saying anything about it though.

I would watch it, but only because I've watched most of the Star Trek corpus already, and with the exception of the older animated series, intend to see every bit of it. They're 6 minutes long after all.

DS9 in my opinion was already a 'darker universe,' and I loved it. That said, an essential ingredient of Star Trek are pronounced, thinly veiled idealism and moral dilemmas. You can't skimp on those, or it wouldn't be Star Trek. Otherwise, darker is cool. Maybe even more appropriate in our times?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.