FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soul Education

Author Topic: Soul Education
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many of you actually expected this thread to be about music. Ten points and a hug for the first person to name the performer of said song. [Wink]

I've found it very hard to put words to my feelings concerning music, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Music has been the only thing in my life that consistantly improves my spirit. I assume that many of you have felt the invigorating effects of music firsthand, so I hope that you'll agree with most of what is to follow.

My lovefor music started at a young age, but developing a personal taste took me quite awhile. My parents seem to remember that I really loved Billy Joel's Goodnight Saigon when I was barely old enough to walk (that'd be about 1981). It must be said that the song has a very distinctive intro, which even untrained ears can recognize. Every time I heard the choppers closing in, I'd start jumping around and shouting that sounded akin to the repetitive parts of the lyrics (knife, night etc.). I am not claiming this to be abnormal behaviour, since I've seen several of my younger cousins reacting in much the same way, albeit to other songs. Besides, it took me until a few years ago to rediscover that one song.

Between the ages of eight and fourteen, I was a fan of Michael Jackson. Not because everybody else was, mind you (which is never a good reason), but because I was captured by one of the songs of the BAD album that I heard on the radio. My parents proceeded to purchase said album for me, followed by Thriller, which they gave me for my next birthday. They also supplied with some MJ-paraphernalia, but fortunately I never wemt overboard in my fandom.
Wihin a year or two, I also acquired a copy of Off The Wall and Dangerous. By now, the compact disc had taken the place of vinyl, so I was forced to buy a new stereo.

And the madness began...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiddle_stix
Member # 9941

- posted      Profile for fiddle_stix           Edit/Delete Post 
Jamiroquai
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked MJ's music, I listened to it a lot when I was younger, his Bad album was my first cassette tape purchase.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
10 points awarded to ((fiddle_stix))!

...For a while my musical tastes were very much middle-of-the-road. I listened to the popular tunes of the era (first half of the 90's), and actually bought some of the compilation CD's with such fantastic titles as Mega Dance, Giga Dance (actually worse the other) and even Yabba-Dabba-Dance. [Embarrassed] None of which could hold my interest for very long.

It must have been in '95 that I was first introduced to Nirvana and The Offspring. I felt an immediate liking for the music that now bombarded my ears. Admittedly such groups were fairly predictable choices for an 'angry teenager', but there was more to it.
With Nirvana I had a hard time understanding the lyrics and when I was finally pretty sure about what Cobain was singing/screaming it didn't mean much at first, because of the poetic style of writing he used. Later on, I purchased this book Nirvana - The Stories Behind The Songs which attempted to explain the meaning of the lyrics. This was when I found out that Polly wasn't actually about a parrot.
But in all honesty, I have to admit that the basic reason for listening to this type of music was the fact that it made me feel better (if not to say whole). By then I was already a rather screwed-up person that hid himself away in his room, feeling very badly about himself and thinking the outside world would be better of without my presence. Somehow this music made me feel that I wasn't entirely alone, that somebody was feeling things comparable to the raging turmoil that I felt inside. In short, it made me feel a connection.
Also, do not underestimate the relieving effects of enthusiastic head-banging and vigorous handling of ye olde air guitar. It was basically the only time when I could let go and be myself.

Just for fun; another little quiz (this one's worth 15 points and I'll leave out the hugs), just provide me with title and performing artist:

"Emotional feedback on timeless wavelengths
bearing a gift beyond price, almost free"

CQ later.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.